Sign in to follow this  
m34eva

LOOKING TO BUY AN M3

Hi Guys i am new to this site and need some advice. I am looking to buy an E46 2001 m3. Please put the link below in to your browser as this is the one i have been looking at

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=178783908

I have been in contact with the dealer selling this vehicle via email. I have been told it has no service history apart from what was done recently in NZ. He also states it is blue but looking at the pic i does appear to be the "carbon black" m3.

After speaking with a friend of mine who has knowledge about these cars he told me that these cars all required a service after 2,500 k's as they come out of the factory with a gritty oil for the running in period and its vital that this service happens. The dealer couldnt tell me if this had been done. What can anyone tell me about that???????????

He also told me that all 01 and 02 m3's were recalled for the big end bearing. The dealer couldnt even tell me if this had been done either which was a little worrying. Is there anyway i can contact BMW direct so that they can pull up the history on this exact vehicle??????

I would really appreciate your help before i go spending my cash on something.

Thanks

Hey mate, welcome to the site. The car you've linked to is an import which is why the dealer can't tell you if the big end bearing has been repaired. If it had been done it would have been done in Japan. It has also been sitting on Trademe for many many months now (maybe over a year actually). IIRC the dealer has taken down the interior pictures that used to be on the listing. They showed some wear on the seats and the drivers side seat was missing the rear cover.

If you were to seriously consider buying this car I'd have it thoroughly checked out by a BMW dealer.

Hey mate, welcome to the site. The car you've linked to is an import which is why the dealer can't tell you if the big end bearing has been repaired. If it had been done it would have been done in Japan. It has also been sitting on Trademe for many many months now (maybe over a year actually). IIRC the dealer has taken down the interior pictures that used to be on the listing. They showed some wear on the seats and the drivers side seat was missing the rear cover.

If you were to seriously consider buying this car I'd have it thoroughly checked out by a BMW dealer.

Hi Mark.

Thanks for the welcome and your reply.

I wasnt aware that the interior shots were removed by the dealer. I did ask him about wear on the seats and didnt get an answer. Is there anyway at all i can track the cars history even though it is an import??? According to my friend the very 1st service is vital and if ignored i should be very wary of purchasing this vehicle. Also the recall with the big end bearing

Can i get a local bmw dealer to check the vehicle out whilst on this guys forecourt?

Edited by m34eva

If he's an honest bloke, and he see you're a serious buyer the dealer will drive the car to the nearest BMW dealership for you. You simply book the time.

I'm not sure if BMW NZ can chat to BMW Japan with regards to service history etc, perhaps someone else can shed some light?

If he's an honest bloke, and he see you're a serious buyer the dealer will drive the car to the nearest BMW dealership for you. You simply book the time.

I'm not sure if BMW NZ can chat to BMW Japan with regards to service history etc, perhaps someone else can shed some light?

Haha, havent come across to many honest car dealers in my time. I'll put that to him though Mark and see what response i get.

Yeah if anyone knows anymore regarding bmw NZ and BMW Japan communicating to find out more about a cars history that would be great.

Thanks again Mark.

Ben

Look at NZ new if you can afford it, that way there are no ifs and maybes and the premium you pay to buy you will get back when you sell.

I contacted this dealer regarding a car a while back and he told m unless I was going to pay asking price do waist hiss time, so I didn’t… it was still listed 6 months later for nearly 10 grand cheaper than he was originally asking.. I hope this “recession†has given him a lesson in business.

The bearing story is true for a certain year etc, my mates car had the complete engine replaced because of all the metal in the oil....if you buy a NZ new with history then all the questions/doubts don't exist.. theres your answer.

Look at NZ new if you can afford it, that way there are no ifs and maybes and the premium you pay to buy you will get back when you sell.

I contacted this dealer regarding a car a while back and he told m unless I was going to pay asking price do waist hiss time, so I didn’t… it was still listed 6 months later for nearly 10 grand cheaper than he was originally asking.. I hope this “recession†has given him a lesson in business.

Yeah he's not the best car saleman i've come across. His emails have been very short with one word answers at times. He hasnt given any details of the car or even helped with a description of the condition.

He did say this is an entry level M3. What the hell does that mean?

The bearing story is true for a certain year etc, my mates car had the complete engine replaced because of all the metal in the oil....if you buy a NZ new with history then all the questions/doubts don't exist.. theres your answer.

Yip, i believe your right. NZ New is the way to go and i will have to do my best to scrape all me penny's together.

He did say this is an entry level M3. What the hell does that mean?

It means you may be able to afford to buy it, but you won't be able to afford to maintain/fix it.

It means you may be able to afford to buy it, but you won't be able to afford to maintain/fix it.

I was thinking along the same lines.

My translation is, this is for those who didnt think they could afford an E46 M3 and the price reflects

the quality of the car.

Gosh we're all negative.

Haha.. That’s why I am scared shitless of the illustrious M cars!! They depreciate but there service costs and parts don’t!

An E30 is hard (expensive) enough for me to maintain to a high standard :o

By entry level im guessing its missing out on the 19†wheels and Xenon lights… What other options did the “upgrade†m3 have?