Sign in to follow this  
Guest FrantiC

crap got a new muffler and now it sounds like a HONDA

Guest FrantiC

Alright so I got a new muffler, as shown below. Single inlet and dual outlet. Outlets Are quite large.

Posted Image

The exhaust system is all stock. Dual pipes to a BMW resonator, then single pipe out the other end right up to this muffler.

I was hoping it would be slightly more louder than my old fully stock exhaust, With this aftermarket muffler. And have more of a BMW sounds and less of a drone. I got it all welded onto the exhaust system and mounted. Starter it up and ...... it sounds like a honda with a big bore!

WTF...

What can I do to shut it up?? I'm not keen at all to ditch this muffler as I think it looks nice. There is no room on the exhaust system to add a coby or another resonator either so I don't know what to do..

Would replacing the current stock BMW resonator change anything??

Edited by FrantiC

What is muffler inlet size? I had similar probs on my E46/ M52tu. The muffler was to big [volume] this creates drone and loudness. I had to weld coby just before muffler inlet to quiet things down, sounds great now.

Guest FrantiC

What is muffler inlet size? I had similar probs on my E46/ M52tu. The muffler was to big [volume] this creates drone and loudness. I had to weld coby just before muffler inlet to quiet things down, sounds great now.

It is 2.2" inlet. But like I said, No room to add a coby anywhere infront of it only real option is to replace the BMW one which I don't think will do anything worthwhile?

Ultimately you get what you pay for, I bought one many years ago for my stock E36, specifically for the dual pipe look, give it a couple of months and you'll buy a stock system secondhand like I did, they sound like crap and draw way too much attention from undesirabes, powerpro type stuff is arse.

Edited by BEEMIR

Looks similar to mine, but may not be the same, as I'm sure there are plenty out there the same. Mine was fairly cheap, and not quite the sound I was after - the exhaust shop misunderstood what I was wanting, however, a single 2.25" pipe from the headers with a coby in between means that it sounds more guttural, and thus OK. I was after a more euro note though, and it can drone slightly at lowish revs under load. I didn't get the shop to change it as it was mates-rates and cost and they weren't willing to take it back as it ahd been welded and used, and they weren't making any money on it. I decided to live with it.

That said it performs well and I have fairly good comments about the sound. it is fairly loud though and not everyones taste, but I've grown to like it. Screams something awesome over 4000rpm.

EDIT: It is different to mine, mine is all stainless for a start.

Edited by bravo

You could prey the Phantom Expander comes to your rescue, then you will be forced to chop it off and get a second hand stock one!...

No Honestly sounds like you need to reduce the single inlet slightly should be 2 1/4"

Get a Remus dual.

Go see some experts and see if you can get something sorted by changing out the mid muffler.

In all seriousness maybe roll with the one you've got until you can afford a remus / borla / supersprint.

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html/subca...p;subcat_id=102

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html/subca...mp;subcat_id=81

Guest FrantiC

Well I had a chat to the guy at the muffler shop and he reckons replacing the center muffler with a coby thats "passive" or something should quiten it and sound better. Doing it this afternoon so shal see how that goes.

Guest FrantiC

Alrighty so I got the middle section muffler removed and a coby muffler put in place. Now much quieter and more of a BMW sound. Still not entirely happy but it will do for now.

Here is a video of how it sounds and in motion:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbabUJu25tk

Ignore the smoke and ignore the belt screeching whilst revving lol. i am quite aware of both issues <_<

Sounds pretty cool to me, bout time you wipper snipped that bit of grass tho :)

Guest FrantiC

It's still too loud for my liking and not quite the sound I am after, But yeah it's not too bad.

Sounds pretty cool to me, bout time you wipper snipped that bit of grass tho smile.gif

Lol I know the grass is growing wild atm. Edited by FrantiC

Sounds good to me. You'll get used to the loudness.

Well it sounds mush better than the previous vid...

sounds quite a lot like my car i reckon, and i LOVE the sound of my car even tho its only a 320! B)

Sounds good to me man. Defnitely louder than yours Blair. Do you think its below the legal limit FrantiC? doesnt sound too loud

Guest FrantiC

Nah I am pretty sure it's above the limit. Sounds almost like my car did with a big bore when I had a 320i motor in it (118dB). Not sure what I wanna do though, Been done twice already for a noisy exhaust and im sitting on 85 demerits so I don't wanna risk losing my license (25 demerits for a noisy exhaust fine).

When inside and driving it is sort of deafening and sounds really really different but on the outside it sounds better. Just different perception I suppose. Might get something abit quieter I think, with more of that throaty kind of sound that is quiet until you give it heaps. This one really drones and is very deep in the low revs, but at high rpm sounds good.

Edited by FrantiC

sounds pretty good. might sound better when it's burning less oil.

Guest FrantiC

sounds pretty good. might sound better when it's burning less oil.

Hey shush, I said ignore the smoke :P