Sign in to follow this  
bravo

e39 540i manual

Not after one now, but as my e30 is getting less and less comfortable the more I mod it, and my other cars are an mr2 (impractical) and a balls-out, roll-caged, offroader (impractical) I keep thinking a nice v8 e39 might be the sensible car I need to replace the mr2 for long trips/daily.

I've looked at 330i's but the e39 actually makes more sense.

Do these come up in manual often, or do I just start looking at autos?

Cheers.

Ive seen two in the last four years. My friend bought one and Paul was looking at the other. I dont think there are too many of them about at all.

Sorry three, there was that Schnitzer S5 a while back with the guy wanting a ridiculous sum of money for it even though there was little proof of it being genuine.

If you want to go manual, why not a nice E34 535, a few more of them about, or even E34 M5, good pricing right now.

There certainly aren't many around.

How much do you want to spend? M5's are coming down in price.

I've driven a manual 528i and was underwhelmed. I'd much rather have the auto in any E39 (except obviously an M5) as it suits the car much more.

Has to be e39. Even though I like e34's more than I used to (esp after driving and riding in Simon's 540i, and test-driving that m5 that came up not so long ago), I still don't think I'd buy one. And I'm not quite into e39 m5 money unfortunately.

I suppose I need to go drive a few autos and see if I could put up with it.

I know e39's are more expensive to maintain, but I want something less than 10yrs old, and with some toys like nav, etc.

Thanks for your input. Much as I expected.

P.S. I've driven (or maybe just rode in, can't recall) an auto 528i and was VERY underwhelmed even with a fairly enthusiastic owner (Andrew lol) on board.

Edited by bravo

Guest Simon*

As said mate they are awfully rare. Awesome car though if you could track down a good one.

But to be fair the E39 540 Autos/Steptros pull bloody hard and have a lot of nice toys (especially the M spec'ed ones). I'm almost certain that's what I'd be driving now if I didn't have mine or couldn't get another big-donk manual :)

If you ever need another tease you're welcome to drive the 5Norty again - don't be such a pussy next time either ;)

in the whole time i have been on bimmersport i have seen two....one was the so called snitzer(sorry spelling) in rotorua and the other more recent one in christchurch/invercargill.I still have that guys number i won the auction but the dwal didnt go through..He was gonna look at a couple of issues then try again but i havent seen it on trademe,and my favourite search wouldnt miss it unless it wasnt listed as a manual.PM me if you are interested and i can put you in touch with him.I may even still have some info on my checks on it.

Strangely enough i stiill found my e34 535 a very nice car even after Driving Martyns mates E39 540 i6...that is a nice example too

There certainly aren't many around.

How much do you want to spend? M5's are coming down in price.

I've driven a manual 528i and was underwhelmed. I'd much rather have the auto in any E39 (except obviously an M5) as it suits the car much more.

have you driven a e 39 540 i6 or E39 M5? How can an auto "suit a car more" A manual car allows much more control ,the right foot is directly linked to the back wheels ie you can use the engine braking much more effectively and hill work is nicer....and dont start spouting off about steptronic.once you start changing gear manually why not have the real deal?My definition of an auto doent include dsg or smg whiich DO have direct mechanical connection between engine and wheels

have you driven a e 39 540 i6 or E39 M5? How can an auto "suit a car more" A manual car allows much more control ,the right foot is directly linked to the back wheels ie you can use the engine braking much more effectively and hill work is nicer....and dont start spouting off about steptronic.once you start changing gear manually why not have the real deal?My definition of an auto doent include dsg or smg whiich DO have direct mechanical connection between engine and wheels

AMEN .

yes 3 pedals the only way to go . hold out for teh best , dont settle for 2nd best.

i have driven a e39 m5 , not bad nice pull up top , but still feels like a heavy car .

owned a e39 540i auto(tiptronic ,same as a auto) touring for while , i just find the auto's fustrating , ok if you just want to fall asleep at the wheels , but not for me .

Edited by Brent HARTGE535i

I have driven a E39 540i6 and honestly I have hardly seen many here in NZ for sale. there seem to be more E34 manuals.

Although the manual E39 540i is more of a drivers car and fun to drive than the Auto/Steptronic - the Auto aint far off the manual in terms of performance.

I find that the E39 V8 is quite reliable if you keep on top of it all. But if you are concerned about maintenance costs Id go for a E34 M60 - unless its comfort you need in the E39 B)

I would go E39 540i - if you want Satnav and what not get a NZ New model and retrofit it into it (its easy and takes a whole weekend) - Im not a fan of Rejected Asian crap that comes here.

Or better yet - buy mine :D

Out of interest, can you tv-satnav an e46?

Out of interest, can you tv-satnav an e46?

Yes. Josh has done all that. There is a system on TM at the moment I think for 4.5k !

G, you aswell as anyone knows, if you have time and money anything is possible ;)

Personally I think the guy is having a laugh asking for 4k. Talk to Josh I believe his install was much less than that. It all depends on what you buy 4:3 vs 16:9 screen, mark3 vs mark4 sat nav etc

Dont discount it from the start but remember you could get an e39 with most of it in already and just plug and play what else you need.

Yeah, thanks.

not that many manual e46's on TM right now either, and they seem to have held their price (asking prices almost increasing) over the last couple of months.

I think I've got the info I was after. I still have to get the e30 finished, assess the work, money, economy situation, and sell the mr2 before I even start thinking about test drives, so no point going any further at this stage.

E46 sets are cheap - look through www.ebay.co.uk or www.ebay.de (type Geman though, it wont pick up much english) you can get the brackets, monitor and MK4 Computer for less than $1000 depending on how strong our dollar is against the Euro.

Get wire harnesses from Rover Active, Pelican parts etc - dont buy used - some wiring is not there and can be confusing when reading directly from the manual how to install it.

[flame suit on] any comparable 5 series is a hell of a lot more car than a 3 series...go the 540.[/flame suit on]

Guest Simon*

[flame suit on] any comparable 5 series is a hell of a lot more car than a 3 series...go the 540.[/flame suit on]

+1 :ph34r:

X2. The 46 is Spartan in comparison, there is no value in a 46, we looked at a few before getting a 05 Vectra, a 46 with equivalent spec (3.2ltr, heated electric leather seats, low KMS, 6 airbags + more) would have cost three times as much!

A well specked facelift E39 540i will set you back near thirty though.

As for manual, they are easier to obtain in Europe, maybe an avenue to look down.

An E46 is almost as big as an E39.

Graham, why on earth would an E39 "make more sense"?

Our E46 is loaded with sh*t.

E, I mean Bravo Graham not Apex Graham. sigh.

Edited by tony.