Sign in to follow this  
DavidR

Unusual Exhaust Question

I recently got an e36 325 SE.

I'm completely baffled as to why its exhaust seems to be abnormally loud???

Out of all the other e36s we tested before buying the car, most were other 325s or 328s, this cars exhaust was much louder throughout the entire rev range.

The car seems to run fine and when lying under the car it all looks good no apparent signs of an exhaust leak or anything of that sort.

Any ideas that anyone has would be greatly appreciated as I am very curious about the reason.

Thanks,

David

You'll have to take a picture of the exhaust for us - you're asking a bit of an impossible question otherwise.

Probably an aftermarket exhaust of some sort, but no way to really tell without pics.

I recently got an e36 325 SE.

I'm completely baffled as to why its exhaust seems to be abnormally loud???

Out of all the other e36s we tested before buying the car, most were other 325s or 328s, this cars exhaust was much louder throughout the entire rev range.

The car seems to run fine and when lying under the car it all looks good no apparent signs of an exhaust leak or anything of that sort.

Any ideas that anyone has would be greatly appreciated as I am very curious about the reason.

Thanks,

David

SE=louder, Faster, better! Right?? why did you buy if your didn't like the Sound?

SE=louder, Faster, better! Right?? why did you buy if your didn't like the Sound?

Again, where are you basing this from?

I'm no expert - but pretty sure SE standards for Special Equipment. BMW's don't usually have alterations to do with motor, just trim levels, maybe Mtechnic suspension? LSD?

definatly wrong assumption there !

I'm guessing he is, but you can never tell with this guy!

To OP, +1 on seeing some pics of the exhaust. A previous owner has probably cheaped out on a muffler replacement and bought something aftermarket.

You'll have to take a picture of the exhaust for us - you're asking a bit of an impossible question otherwise.

Probably an aftermarket exhaust of some sort, but no way to really tell without pics.

Yup i'm trying to get some pics up soon for my profile, but i cant find the damn cord to transfer pics onto the computer.

But from as far as i could tell eveything looks stock. I've looked under the car and couldn't see anything that looks altered at all.

As someone else mentioned I do like the sound of it and it goes well too so it's not a problem just a curiousity.

depends what exhaust you have genuine or after market???

some after market mufflers were prone to burning out or rusting out baffles,due to cheaper materials, hense a loader exhaust

essentially the muffler will look fine on the outside, but toast on the inside.

Edited by Jono51

Welcome to Bimmersport.

Does it look like this at all??

Posted Image

If so it could be after market.

Seriously though, get some picks up, im sure the pro’s on here will pick what it is straight away!