Sign in to follow this  
huff3r

Not a BMW, but my new toy :p

Awesome car! i'm obsessed with legacys.......

i have a terrano at the mo but am dead keen on another legacy soon!

Bloody hell, so much misinformation in this thread. Especially from rjac001.

I've owned 2 subarus. First one was dodgy, What went wrong? Oh, nothing. A bit of the common Subaru malady of the lifters ticking, but a bit of Proma MBL8 and Castrol Magnatec and it was fine. Awesome cars. That was an 89 GT wagon.

Second suby was also a first-gen wagon, but this had close to 20g spent on it by a Subaru mechanic, . I blew up the gearbox, but that was totally my own fault (long story),

Hasn't left a sour taste in my mouth at all.

Of course, if you get a car that was thrashed for years, then chances are it's gonna break on you, like any other car..

Nice car mate, make sure you service it and it'll treat you right

Just let me know for the record what "misinformation" I have been spreading?? Just read the Thread and most of the people who have owned Subs, and those who know what they are talking about have agreed with Me

Is this what happens when you bring a Suby onto a BMW forum? It all goes pear shaped :P

Is this what happens when you bring a Suby onto a BMW forum? It all goes pear shaped :P

It almost makes me want to get another Honda just to see the reaction.

You gonna mod the Suby or nah?

Thinking about some minor stuff, but just read a proposed law change to make vented BOVs illegal.... so there goes my first plan :(

Mostly just a daily for now, cos uni's expensive...

Haha, personally I don't think a Twin Turb 2L subby is an economical runabout :)

Looks good though! I bet she goes well :P

Just let me know for the record what "misinformation" I have been spreading?? Just read the Thread and most of the people who have owned Subs, and those who know what they are talking about have agreed with Me

I disagree with you and no I have never owned one, I have however been familiar with them for near twenty years, some have been great and other have been complete lemons. I can’t understand the contrast between different cars reliability.

Believe it or not Subaru Legacy’s are the most common Japanese car of the nineties. I was “boosting†around in one while you were still at primary school mate!

Im sure we all know of a 100 people that have owned a Subaru Legacy.

Stock to stock the generation 1 RS is slower than the Generation 2 RS, the generation 1 however is much easier to “boost†up and they respond well to simple mods, hence why the Generation 1 is perceived as faster by some people. Journalists test the performance of cars when they are realised so performance of both is well documented.

I had a facelift '91 RS for 9.5 years, apart from the aforementioned lifter problem, it was very reliable for that time, which included 147000kms of driving, ranging from gentle cruising to 6k rpm dropped clutch starts. Numerous mates have had them, only one was an expensive lemon and that after a full pre purchase check. They are very good cars and the only reason mine is gone now, is the most common problem with them that nobody has mentioned. It was stolen.

Just to express my opinion, i think there are definitaly lemons when it comes to Subarus but then there are ones that go and go and go, some break when being thrashed and some don't, basically the same with any car though?

Mates got a 97 GTB wagen that goes like stink with 168,000 on the clock, gets the odd thrash here and there and it just loves it, done more Hawkesbay to Auckland and back trips that i can count. Only prob he's had is the radiater blew it's side tank which i replaced easy.

Huffer, good luck with the sparkys, there was a wee bit of swearing when i did them :P

Current Subaru Owner here. I've had a WRX and My Current RSB.

Just want to clarify a few points.

1. Like Beemers, Subies need PREVENTATIVE maintenence! If you like your big end bearing, and like to give it a bit of stick every now and again, 5000km oil changes are a must.

2. When doing cambelts, clutches and anything else major, for gods sakes do the crank seals, waterpump, o-rings and any other kind of anti oil leak device while there. This way, 20,000km down the track there wont be a massive pool of oil under the car after a good thrash. And your engine will love you.

3. The TT's. Avoid pod filters like the plague, and avoid Vent to atmosphere BOV's. Pod filters have a habit of rooting the AFM which can give you all sorts of grif. V-T-A BOV's cause the car to run rich as the AFM thinks the air which is being vented is still in the car.

4. $90 worth of marley drainpipe running down your inner guard and attached to the factory airbox gives fantastic results and as the factory silencing rubbish is removed - you get a great PSSSHHHHT sound :-)

5. Either a Zerosports sequential controller or some ECV mods will map out most of the lag between turbos.

6. If your getting burnt oil smells after a cane, you have weeping/leaking rocker cover gaskets. A PITA to replace, but a normal issue :)

Subies rock. I'm thinking about keeping mine and delaying the purchase of the 540 for a month or two now.

No burning oil at all, but definitely leaking, especially after a cane :(

Got rid of the poddy yesterday, just didnt wanna run the risk, and with a free k&n panel filter why bother...

Don't really wanna get rid of the VoD tho, i reckon its what makes this car...

I hate the lag, but it is soooo much more awesome when the boost does come after a little wait :P