Sign in to follow this  
MikeRBeck

Hello - New Auckland Member

Hi all.

My names Mike, from Auckland and currently looking to head in a new direction with my car ownership. Been doing Japanese cars for too long and quite frankly sick (Toyota / Soarer etc) of them so after something a little more interesting, something from the old Euro market.

Currently most interested in the E34 540i

I'm quite shocked at how cheap some of them are now - too much car for the money almost.

Anyway - basically after some advise with buying one - links to forum pages with details on them (Similar question answers etc)

From my observations most will seem to be around the 200k mark which is reasonable - best to stick to a factory one with a detailed history and get them check out by someone that knows what they are looking at.

Apparently Ive read that in time the Automatic Gearboxes can break, developing slips and what not, some minor electrical issues arising and the odd Engine oil seal leak...

I'm sure theres plenty more that must be checked - but yeah any advise would be good.

If there are any Auckland members with E34 540i's that would be happy to show me theres this weekend please send me a PM.

Cheers Mike.

allo allo, why not go with an e30 :) best bmw ever :P

but on a more serious note, im sure some of the E34 guys can help you out with your decision

Hey mate, I'm THINKING about selling mine at the moment.

http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....showtopic=20699

I have had the balance/alignment done and there is still a slight shimmy at 80-100km...

I have owned the car for a little over a year and have done all the work myself.

I have receipts for all RECENT work (as of about 2-3months) as I was stupid and threw them away. I will see if the car has any other previous service history later today.

This afternoon I am going to replace the waterpump/coolant (preventative maintenance with metal impeller) and oil/filter.

Where abouts in Auckland are you? I MIGHT be free on Sunday afternoon this weekend if you want to pop around and have a look (see if an e34 540i is even your cup of tea??)

Cheers,

Ian.

Edited by Creaver

Welcome to Bimmersport

Expect to pay 10 grand for a complete minter. Also, don’t rule out the 535im as an option.

Cheers guys.

Yeah Creaver, a mate of mine did show me yours as advertised on here. Why are you selling yours? I would be quite keen to have a look over your 540i, see if they are what I think they are - send mea PM with your details. :)

Currently Ive got a Soarer, which the engine is being rebuilt, almost done but probably looking to sell once its running next month.

A good car but I have had 4, so rather tired of them - a new direction like a E34 5 Series would be much more interesting for the year.

I have thought about the 535i's but for me, 215HP/305nm is getting a little on the sluggish side...

Something to think about but definitely more keen on a 540i because of the similar outputs to the Soaer V8 I have and the fact they are an 8 cylinder!

My main focus with one would just be to keep it original and look after it, look into some light intake exhaust modifications and just replace common wear parts.

Haha, it appears I put my password in for my old account - Im the same as Gtourer, just lost my details so made a new account. :rolleyes:

Edited by Mike_Beck

Hello and welcome to bimmersport.

What you really need is a 315bhp e34 m5 not a slow 286bhp 540i one for sale on trademe and its a good one !!!!

Hello and welcome to bimmersport.

What you really need is a 315bhp e34 m5 not a slow 286bhp 540i one for sale on trademe and its a good one !!!!

Don't muck around with Sedans... get a wagon ;)

And yes you're right about the transmissions, they will cost you a lot money at some stage (I have had two e34's and luckily both have been replaced under mechanical breakdown insurance warranty)

Otherwise awesome cars, try and get a NZ new with full service history though and worth paying a bit more for a minter as it will save you money in the long run.

Adam

post-2876-1235433758_thumb.jpg

Have a couple you might be interested in.

Call or text me.

Regards Ray

Don't muck around with Sedans... get a wagon ;)

And yes you're right about the transmissions, they will cost you a lot money at some stage (I have had two e34's and luckily both have been replaced under mechanical breakdown insurance warranty)

Otherwise awesome cars, try and get a NZ new with full service history though and worth paying a bit more for a minter as it will save you money in the long run.

Adam

you wanna sell your wagon

you wanna sell your wagon

Hey Brent was considering it but have looked hard and theres nothing else around I can find to replace it with being NZ new with 148km and full service history.

Would maybe consider a E39 540i Wagon, RS4 or RS6 Manual Wagons or a VY SS Manual Wagon but would have to be as mint.

But I've also spent too much on the E34, have just put new Bilstein Sports in, the 20 x 8.5 & 20 x 10 Koyas + Tyres and the list goes on.

Can have a chat on Friday at Puke if you're there.

Cheers

Adam

Hey Brent was considering it but have looked hard and theres nothing else around I can find to replace it with being NZ new with 148km and full service history.

Would maybe consider a E39 540i Wagon, RS4 or RS6 Manual Wagons or a VY SS Manual Wagon but would have to be as mint.

But I've also spent too much on the E34, have just put new Bilstein Sports in, the 20 x 8.5 & 20 x 10 Koyas + Tyres and the list goes on.

Can have a chat on Friday at Puke if you're there.

Cheers

Adam

ok , now worry's . dont need the wheels if you wantto keep them.

cheers brent

yes will be at puke friday