Sign in to follow this  
sin-drome

Convert it?

hey guys currently i've got a 320i E30 F/L and its auto, my problem is as being a poor uni student i dont have much cash for my lil manual conversion project and later on a M20B25 maybe sometime nearing to the end of this year, i would just like all of your advice on what would be the better option to do:

1. Buy a conversion kit and get someone to put it in for me as the body of my car is pretty much mint.

2. to sell my e30 and buy one thats already manual.

Really , i just do not know how much it would cost for a conversion and if it would really be economical or not, so any advice or previous experiences on this would be very much appreciated, i know there are a lot of topics started about manual conversions but not many really have the prices they spent.

thanks alot

If you pay someone to do the swap, you're better off buying something already manual as long as it's in at least as good nick, and so while you're at it you may as go 325i.

If you do it yourself, you can save heaps. With the price of conversion kits these days, you'd do it for only a couple of hundy over a grand including buying the odd tool you're missing and all new clutch etc.

What bravo said - but beware that the conversion kit you buy is for your car and includes ALL the bits.

I would personally just buy a manual car after having spent over twice my original budget getting my car working right.

For convenience, buy a manual 325 as it has everything you want. However there are plenty of people around (not just mechanics who charge through the teeth) who would be willing to help for alot cheaper, and thus would probably still be economical to do the swap(s). I did my manual conversion for just over $400, with the kit being $300 and tools and oil that I missed adding up the last $100. Its always good to have a mint e30 body as I think their getting harder and harder to find mint.

Edited by QuickSilver

thanks for the help guys, i think i mite be keen on doing the manual conversion myself at this stage just for cost reasons even though it may take me abit longer.

also what sort of price range would i be looking at for a full conversion kit for my m20 ? :D

thanks

thanks for the help guys, i think i mite be keen on doing the manual conversion myself at this stage just for cost reasons even though it may take me abit longer.

also what sort of price range would i be looking at for a full conversion kit for my m20 ? :D

thanks

if ur doin it on a weekend and would like sum help just drop me a pm i've done the conversion on a few of my own e30's. oh and if ur missing any peices or tools for the conversion just let me know. . Ash.

id be keen to come watch :P as im probably going to be doing in the future eventually.

if ur doin it on a weekend and would like sum help just drop me a pm i've done the conversion on a few of my own e30's. oh and if ur missing any peices or tools for the conversion just let me know. . Ash.

Thanks Ash

i might give you a pm once i get everything sorted cheers

Thanks Ash

i might give you a pm once i get everything sorted cheers

make sure you guys document it , plenty of images and a small write up for other people to refer to in future.

I am sure others would like to see it too

cheers and good luck

make sure you guys document it , plenty of images and a small write up for other people to refer to in future.

I am sure others would like to see it too

cheers and good luck

+1

thanks

You shouldn't have to pay over $450 to $500 at the moment for the full kit.

The rest will depend on what kind of condition it's in, clutch and cylinders etc.

You shouldn't have to pay over $450 to $500 at the moment for the full kit.

The rest will depend on what kind of condition it's in, clutch and cylinders etc.

Ive had a look at some on trademe ( auckalnd ones) and they are about $700 to 800.are they way overpriced ?

Picking my 90 e30 schnitzer up on Saturday so this is of interest to me too.

Being an e30 noob can one of you "handy" dudes tell me EXACTLY what I will need for a conversion.

Dont mean to thread jack but I figure this will be of interest to sin-drome as well. :rolleyes:

Picking my 90 e30 schnitzer up on Saturday so this is of interest to me too.

Being an e30 noob can one of you "handy" dudes tell me EXACTLY what I will need for a conversion.

Dont mean to thread jack but I figure this will be of interest to sin-drome as well. :rolleyes:

gearbox , flywheel , clutch kit , pedals , clutch master and slave cylinder clutch lines , driveshaft , front exhaust bracket.

gear lever mech , leather console boot , nuts and bolts etc .

Check pick a part for manual E30's, all up it came to about $300 for all the parts for me. And you get to see how it comes apart so if you havent done it before its a bit easyier to put it in.

so a thousand buks for a 260 full conversion is too much??!

ive ben looking for awhile and really want a 260 because i plan to go m50/m52 in the near future, but cant find anything under a thousand!!!

how much difference is there really between the 240 and 260??

also what pick-a-part to bmws tend to go to??

They're usually spread out. They have yards at Avondale, Mangere and Takanini (You probably know that).

They can go anywhere, you can check their site and see what they have in stock, but sometimes they are listed wrong so it pays to go in and check it out your self every now and then.

Came across a black 328 e36 coupe at pick a part tauranga the other day.

so a thousand buks for a 260 full conversion is too much??!

ive ben looking for awhile and really want a 260 because i plan to go m50/m52 in the near future, but cant find anything under a thousand!!!

how much difference is there really between the 240 and 260??

The 260 is the stronger of the two boxes, and has a slightly different gearing ratio, its the better choice of the two, although ANY getrag is almost bullet proof.

The 260 is the stronger of the two boxes, and has a slightly different gearing ratio, its the better choice of the two, although ANY getrag is almost bullet proof.

but the price???

fair / unfair??

really want some opinions as im guna bite the bullet and get one on monday!!!

but the price???

fair / unfair??

really want some opinions as im guna bite the bullet and get one on monday!!!

Have you tried Ray @ HELL BM ??

Have you tried Ray @ HELL BM ??

yeah when i askd last week he didnt have any or allude to prices, might go for a drive on the weekend and have a geeze at his treasure trove, really dont want to fork out a grand!!! but desperate to get rid of the autobox!!!

yeah when i askd last week he didnt have any or allude to prices, might go for a drive on the weekend and have a geeze at his treasure trove, really dont want to fork out a grand!!! but desperate to get rid of the autobox!!!

$1,000 is still a good price for a complete kit though

ive got getrag box and conversion parts exept for clutch, pressure plate, spiggot bearing, gear nob and leather boot and few bolts . pm me if ur interested.

$1,000 is still a good price for a complete kit though

but you wouldnt personally pay that much??

ashy_aye - PM'd