Sign in to follow this  
Andre3000

New Zimmermans All Round

I've had my fronts on for a few weeks now and thought id change the backs too.

The original rear rotors had a wavey pattern on them, and (according to a friend from midas onehunga) was the cause of my brake squeal. He seems to have been right as there is no squeak at all anymore with the new discs on.

New Look

post-2821-1236822818_thumb.jpg

Old discs - you can clearly see the surface is uneven

post-2821-1236822823_thumb.jpg

On another note. When i went to put the new discs on the hand brake shoes wouldn't slide inside. I had to tighten this little teethed washer which pulled the shoes together. But now my hand brake is very weak, is there anyway to tighten my hand brake? or am i going to have to take the discs off again and find the right setting??

Also im looking to change brake fluid. Does anyone have any personal techniques that work well for them? How much fluid am i going to need? And also where can i source some decently priced Dot 4, as repco seems to be a tad expensive for my liking.

Looks good mate, you doing all your own work on the beast?

Yeep im pretty poor so there's really no other option :(

Try Super Cheap Auto. They can get the Penrite range ordered in at a much lower price.

RBF is ~$80 at Repco when I checked, same product from Penrite was $15+freight when I ordered through SCA.

Motul.... dont f**k around with any fluids on your ride, at the end of the day.... the best liquid does the job the BEST

Also im looking to change brake fluid. Does anyone have any personal techniques that work well for them? How much fluid am i going to need? And also where can i source some decently priced Dot 4, as repco seems to be a tad expensive for my liking.

It’s a two person job, one to sit in the car and pump the pedal and one to open and close the bleed valve start from the back side of the car further away from the reservoir and drain/bleed from there. Use a MC Donald’s cup with a clear piece of tubing poking through the lid, this way you won’t get fluid everywhere (it eats paint) and so you can see when the new stuff starts draining through, its a good idea to bleed all corners through. I use blue fluid so as I can see its all drained and bleed.

I am no mechanic but it works for me, check out Youtube for tips.

Motul.... dont f**k around with any fluids on your ride, at the end of the day.... the best liquid does the job the BEST

+1 Motul FTW

I've done it by myself using Apex's method.

I've always just used regular brake fluid from Repco.

You can access the toothed handbrake adjuster by poking a long thin screw driver through one of the stud holes.

Ok that helps quite alot. Thanks guys.

How much am i gonna need? A full 5L bottle??

Ok that helps quite alot. Thanks guys.

How much am i gonna need? A full 5L bottle??

About a litre for a full bleed from empty

Yeah, I always get 2x 1L to be safe, and sometimes need the second one, but rarely.

Remember, once opened brake fluid absorbs moisture so you can't store it for long and then use it later unless you want water in your fluid = bad.

So a 3L would be alot of waste.

I use a self bleed kit you can pick up from repco or autocheap. They work really well.

I use a self bleed kit you can pick up from repco or autocheap. They work really well.

I'll look into that. I dnt have anyone else to help me so this could be useful.

Good to see you having a crack at the repairs yourself. Hate to ask is that jack the only thing holding the car up or is their an axle stand some where not shown?.

Allan.

Good to see you having a crack at the repairs yourself. Hate to ask is that jack the only thing holding the car up or is their an axle stand some where not shown?.

Allan.

Yes :wacko: Ive been meaning to invest in some axel stands but never get round to it. Ive borrow them off a mate when i do any under car work.