Sign in to follow this  
*Glenn*

Professional ?..I dont think so

Yesterday we had a BS members car in for a repair that required removing the lower dash panel. Everything you see here is how it all fell out on dropping down the panel. The owner had paid for a professional alarm installation by a professional ?? This is a mess and I'd be peeved if this is how my car was done. We didnt check any of the wiring behind the tape work to see if it was soldered or just twisted together. The owner was unaware till we showed him because its all hidden, and he's not impressed. These are some of the problems we have to deal with when were working on peoples cars. Maybe some of our sparky "Gurus" would like to comment ??

BTW: The 2 cable ties on the floor are from us replacing the ignition key reader coil not the alarm wiring

post-1129-1237474382_thumb.jpg

Edited by *Glenn*

I had the exact same problem, and looked much the same after I chose the recommended installer for Dynatron (after contacting them direct)

Needless to say I reported back to them and the guy no longer installs for Dynatron. Unfortunately they didn't offer to pay to have the mess cleaned up - I did some myself, so its now reasonable, but not what I'd call "professional".

They did however replace a few things for me for free outside the warranty period, so I still recommend Dynatron as a brand, but you need to vet the installers the same as you would anyone working on your car.

If possible ask to see previous examples of their work, or look at vehicles currently undergoing work in the workshop.

Most people want a job done on the cheap, they get what they pay for.

There are a lot of opportunist cowboys out there that take full advantage of these tight people.

can we list all the bad installers so we dont make the same mistake?

or better yet list some good installers, so we dont get a half-assed job done on our alarms

What are you trying to say Graham??? Just kidding - the problem is also partly that people think an alarm install is an alarm install is an alarm install - so they get the most "competitive" price not knowing that that means the crappest job.

In my case I think the guy genuinely thought he was doing a good job. It's just his and my definitions of good job were quite different.

i have seen a few like these(when stripping cars down ) , but i have also seen some quite goods one (makes it harder for me to remove them ) or bypass them when i dont have the alarm remote.

also so heaps of crappy stereo installs . but came across one a month or so back where they had gone the extra mile to tidy everthing up , even the hidding stuff ( i think it was a rapid radio job judging by the brands of gear)

can we list all the bad installers so we dont make the same mistake?

Personaly I dont like the sound of doing that. List the good installers instead

I would say $800-$1000 for an installed Dynotron/Cyclops would be about write, should take the installer the best part of a day to install.

Also, make sure everything is set correctly after installation, lots of guys get lazy and skip installing sensors, alarm the car and use your key to open all doors, bonnet and boot, the alarm should sound when any door has been opened.. Also, set the alarm when in the car and start clapping, this should trigger the glass brake sensor! Sounds stupid but you would be amazed at the amount of cars with missing sensors due to an incompetent installer being unable to link rear door/boot sensors.

Jamie at Pro Custom Installs. 0272707426. He is mobile and covers most of Auckland, buy him Wendy’s and he will love you long time.

Retails Kicker and Cyclops.

Most people want a job done on the cheap, they get what they pay for.

There are a lot of opportunist cowboys out there that take full advantage of these tight people.

Graham, that is my car in the photo and I in no way did this job on the cheap. It is a 5 star Mongoose system and it was installed here at my workplace by a registered alarm installer. Of course I was busy when the alarm was installed and didn't get the chance to inspect the work in progress and everything was back in place when I got the car back. Yes I did get it done at trade price and why not, I'm in the industry, but even so it still cost over $600.00