Sign in to follow this  
Yuen

Searching for a new car

I'm currently looking for a manual BMW. What are your opinions on the best manual to get? Not too particular with 3 or 5 series, prefer a newer car but probably the newest manual I can afford is an E36 328. The only thing it absolutely must have is air conditioning (which I guess is also a problem with older cars such as the E30 because they would use the R12 gas and I wouldn't be able to refill it if it runs out?).

Other than that I'm open to anything, the ones I've seen on TM are the E34 535is (but unfortunately that doesn't have air-con), E30 325, E30 318is, and the few E36 328s listed.

Also:

- Anyone know the cost for a E36 328 manual conversion nowadays? I'm considering going that route if I come across a good auto.

- Will a Tech II kit fit a pre-FL E30? I would really consider going with an E30 if I can find a car like Bravo's or Gus's old car. Wondering if I have the option to go Tech II down the road if I get a pre-FL.

Edit: Also has to have decent power-to-weight, wouldn't go with an E34 525 for example.

Edited by Mpulsive

Tech II's can be made to fit Pre FL but it takes some work, some work that I dont know lol.

But it can be done, Easier just to get a FL. Get an E30 though :)

From experience:

To put a techII on a PFL, you need to saw the tow hooks off, then the FL valence bolts on (surprisingly), then install front as per normal. But the rear's completely different and you'll have to butcher the techII kit to make it fit because it sticks out from the arch.

I didn't have sideskirts, so can't comment there.

I gave up when I found a techI kit.

edit: E30's can't have their AC refilled? Why?

Edited by JiB

My old E36's AC used the old R12 gas and it ran out. Was told by Coolcar that I had to retrofit an entire new air-con system to convert to R134a because R12 is now illegal. What do you guys with older cars do?

My old E36's AC used the old R12 gas and it ran out. Was told by Coolcar that I had to retrofit an entire new air-con system to convert to R134a because R12 is now illegal. What do you guys with older cars do?

535is should have air con.Mine still works.Must use it at least 10 minutes every month.

535is should have air con.Mine still works.Must use it at least 10 minutes every month.

I can vouch for that too, must be used even in the winter time, if it doesn't get used for a certain amount of time the seals in the AC system dry up and the gas leaks out.

There are a few cheap 328's on TM at the mo as i'm sure you know Yuen, i wouldn't go down the road of manual conversion, very time consuming.

Best of luck with your search.

RE air cond . Lot of BS around regarding retrofit . There are drop in replacements for R12 that only require the system be evacuated then recharged ,should only cost $100 max . Even R134a only needs oil change & liqiud line filter replaced , should only cost around $250 . I have done limo fleets & taxis with both , the drop in refrig is a bit dearer so if it needs topping up often go for R134a. Fitting A/C to non A/c car like BmW would be nightmare esp the controls .

I was looking at this one Paul: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=207683474

i wouldn't go down the road of manual conversion, very time consuming.

Yeah not my first option for sure, but I thought if I found a mint auto then I would consider it. The price of manual E36 328s don't seem to be falling very much.

RE air cond . Lot of BS around regarding retrofit . There are drop in replacements for R12 that only require the system be evacuated then recharged ,should only cost $100 max . Even R134a only needs oil change & liqiud line filter replaced , should only cost around $250 . I have done limo fleets & taxis with both , the drop in refrig is a bit dearer so if it needs topping up often go for R134a. Fitting A/C to non A/c car like BmW would be nightmare esp the controls .

Cheers mate, that sounds more reasonable (like the prices quoted for Japanese cars). I got told by Coolcar it was $3k to convert everything in the E36, which is just ridiculous. Any recommendations on who I should go to in the future?

Cheers mate, that sounds more reasonable (like the prices quoted for Japanese cars). I got told by Coolcar it was $3k to convert everything in the E36, which is just ridiculous. Any recommendations on who I should go to in the future?

Auto Temp

11 Melrose Street

Newmarket

Ask fo Todd or James

Auto Temp told me it would be $3k to fix the air con in the E30 without looking at it. Then checked it, found it still had gas in it and said it would still be $3k and wasn't worth fixing on that car or an E36.

Wish i could make $3g diagnosis without looking . Connect 12v to comp lead -if runs but discharge only warm its low gas&rechagre as above .It has a low pressure cutout when gas gets too low ,prevents a/c cutting in . If its controls need testing by BMW tech . Still wouldnt cost anything like above . They either dont know or give hi $ as they would probably get tech to fix then charge you $3g.

I honestly cant say I've seen an E34 without aircon.... :huh:

Mine is still mint even though the blower motor has died. Crack the roof half an inch and you still get cool.

Seeing that that 535 has an OBC, headlight washers etc, I'd say it has aircon.

I honestly cant say I've seen an E34 without aircon.... :huh:

Mine is still mint even though the blower motor has died. Crack the roof half an inch and you still get cool.

Seeing that that 535 has an OBC, headlight washers etc, I'd say it has aircon.

I would have thought so too, and it looks like it has air-con controls, but see the Q&A section.

Air conditioning was always an option, and probably quite an expensive one at that back in the day.

My 1983 E28 has full OBC, headlight washers, sun roof, ABS brakes etc but no air conditioning ( it's also an ex UK car funnily enough Yuen).

Air conditioning was always an option, and probably quite an expensive one at that back in the day.

My 1983 E28 has full OBC, headlight washers, sun roof, ABS brakes etc but no air conditioning ( it's also an ex UK car funnily enough Yuen).

Funny that - suppose it's almost always cloudy in the UK???

I actually quite like E34s, but I would really only look at those with an M-Tech kit and of course manual. And the only other problem with a 540i is that insurance could be a deal breaker. But if it's a very nice car at the right price...

Guest Simon*

I actually quite like E34s, but I would really only look at those with an M-Tech kit and of course manual. And the only other problem with a 540i is that insurance could be a deal breaker. But if it's a very nice car at the right price...

Insurance for a 540 is not expensive. They must take into account age of car - mine is about $800 PA

There are 535 manuals without A/C I nearly bought one a few years back. In saying that, most E34's do have it.

E36 328's are good buying at the moment, if you can afford to wait for them to drop into a sensible price bracket. You'd have to put up with being seen as just another ghey E36 owner though :D Like a**holes and E30's, everyone's got one ;)

I recently had some air con issues on my E36 which resulted in just over $2k's worth of work. Amongst other things, the valves opening to the vents were playing up and the compressor started leaking. The time it didn't work it was absolute hell driving around Auckland - a black E36 with no a/c is not a comfortable place to be.

Auto works well for me and as such, there were plenty of good examples around when I picked up mine. If you are looking for a manual, don't discount the 318is. If you find a nice NZ new one with the Z3 1.9 in it ('96 onwards) you will have a very nice car. If I could get the Mrs to be comfortable driving a manual, thats what I would have bought. Another suggestion (which could get me shot here!) is to go and drive an Audi A4 1.8T Q manual - these are very nice cars and are getting cheaper and cheaper every day.

Guest Simon*

Don't start this again Simon :P

I'm trying really really hard to start a war ... I mean friendly argument/discussion

Will none of you pussies bite??? :lol:

I'm always keen for a "friendly argument/discussion" to do with my E36 but thats when it's a mate trying to tell me his jap trap could waste my car... why argue with someone who has an extremely nice E34?

why argue with someone who has an extremely nice E34?

Where where? i can't see any?