Sign in to follow this  
so54i88

Im puzzled

hey guys, what a forum! wish i discovered this earlier. i just bought a e46 318ti and i'm loving it. i kinda discover new features each day. however, i got puzzled about a switch that's to right the fog light switch (i initially thought it one was for the left and the other for the right....how dumb of me. :P ) does anyone here know what that switch is for? when i push it an orange light comes on the dashboard that looks like the fog light......here are a couple of photos

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'd be very grateful if someone can enlighten me what the switch is for

Thanks

Pleasse don't drive around with the rear ones (orange) on unless it is seriously foggy. They burn the retinas out of the eyes of the driver following you. I am often tempted to rear-end people who have them on just so my eyes get a break.

They're bloody awesome for dealing to tail-gaters at night though!

Guest Simon*

Pleasse don't drive around with the rear ones (orange) on unless it is seriously foggy

+1!

The secret is to drive so close that the nose of your car obscures them :ph34r:

Agreed! This is my "Back The F%#k Off My A$$" button.

Always fun watching them in the rear view mirror go from 2m to 20m in 2.5 seconds ;)

Always fun watching them in the rear view mirror go from 2m to 20m in 2.5 seconds ;)

Yeap they're great, theyre also great for people who're highbeaming you from behind lol.

You slow right down and then BAM turn those puppies on.

thanks very much guys. i know what that is for now. lol. i'll remember to use that secret button next time i get p'd off by the pesty tailgaters.

i wondered why a 4wd was following me with the headlight on this morning....... :D cheers

Is this the same for the E36? always wondered what the button under the fogs did :P Had a play with all the buttons when I got the car but never thaught to look at the arse of it.

Afterburners yo..

If the Foglights dont get the tailgaters off your a$$... These will.

Is this the same for the E36? always wondered what the button under the fogs did :P Had a play with all the buttons when I got the car but never thaught to look at the arse of it.

Yes, same in E36.

PS Think the front ones are driving lights more than fog lights thats why they are on a seperate switch ?

Not unless they have been replaced on the dodgy... Driving lights have to come on/off with the high beam/dip switch. The symbol on these is for front fog - and the spread pattern will be vastly different between the two (driving lamp vs front fog).

Michael welcome to teh rare club of E36 328 manauals

That makes me a newbie Ron :D

i discovered something new today. there are two little orange lights on front interior light next to the rearview mirror. it doesn't really light up anything. in fact you wont notice them until you put your hand under them. there are 2 little holes where the lights are housed. have anyone noticed?

I want some now haaaa!

Hmmm - that gives me an idea....

I like what your thinking... design something, I will be interested...

thanks very much guys. i know what that is for now. lol. i'll remember to use that secret button next time i get p'd off by the pesty tailgaters.

i wondered why a 4wd was following me with the headlight on this morning....... :D cheers

Remember this will only work at night time, or are they pretty damn bright? This is where elmarco's idea could work in the day ;)

have anyone noticed?

Yea! Seen them on my fathers 540i. Look mint at night slightly lighting up the center console.

I want some now haaaa!

You're e30 should have the rear ones.

Remember this will only work at night time, or are they pretty damn bright? This is where elmarco's idea could work in the day ;)

e30 ones work best at night. e46 ones (and those goddam 2000+ peugeots) are bright enough to give you a headache even in the daytime. Imagine brakelights x4 for brightness.

Edited by bravo

Rear fog lights are not a WOF requirement here in NZ... some people have wired them up as extra brake lights ... which is quite legal... your allowed 4 + a high stop

Hmmm.. i have some of these... never used them cos one of the bulbs is blown though.. used them in the E36 to avoid tailgaters with much success :P

Had some Audi tailgating me before and flashing his highs at me,

Tried the rear fogs on him but didn't help much :(

Mine randomly stopped working, cant figure it out either. Fuses are fine, no power at lights. Followed the wire from the fuse box to the switch it had power until I lost it under the dash and couldnt follow it anymore. No power at the switch.

I hope I was following the right wire :unsure:

Is there power at the fuse?