Sign in to follow this  
Guest Simon*

Hotwheels/Matchbox cars

Guest Simon*

So ..... I popped into the Warehouse the other day to get a few things and took a cruise through the toys to have a look for my boys and found a big bin full of the little Hotwheels cars on sale for $2.95 each.

I always had Matchbox cars as a kid (heaps of them) and have since passed them on to my own sons, which is really cool - so I had a big poke around to see what was for sale. Oh and Matchbox were there too for the same price.

I um .... ended up buying a few ones I liked - for my kids of course! :P

I was quite impressed with some of the stuff they had and the little details. Have a gander

New Shelby 'Stang

post-2351-1238537569_thumb.jpg

Corvette Stingray

post-2351-1238537574_thumb.jpg

Ferrari 250GTO

post-2351-1238537580_thumb.jpg

Original GT40

post-2351-1238537588_thumb.jpg

Aston Martin V8 Vantage

post-2351-1238537606_thumb.jpg

E-Type Jag (Matchbox)

post-2351-1238537616_thumb.jpg

Porsche GT3 (Matchbox)

post-2351-1238537637_thumb.jpg

Nice. Crush them.

Matchbox looks better to me, have always hated Hot Wheels.

I have the entire 1985 to about 1990 matchbox range plus lots of rare noon NZ imported matchbox cars in their original boxes stashed away. Must have 150 or so.. Have another 100 or so unboxed that I will give to the kids to destroy.

I used to love putting them in the vice or melting them with a blow touch as a kid.

haha used to tie a rope to mine and drag them behind the car, was awesome when going round corners

I got "rubbish duty" when I was 8 with a mate because we were caught crushing then under a huge rock. Apparently in those days the schools took it upon themselves to take over the parenting role where they saw fit.

We were pissed off - they were our cars and we wante dto see what they looked like after a crash.

Was even more pissed off a few days later when my mate crushed my late '70's Pontiac Firebird Transam with targa top in silver complete with firebird decal painted on the bonnet. I loved that trans am lol. It's one of the few toys I remember. Took it home to dad who was able to fix it (new wheels and axles, windscreen survived luckily, glue on floor pan, and tried to straighten the roof). So I had it back, but it was never the same again all scratched up 'n sh*t.

That’s a good one. Wish I could drive when I was 7! In the 80’s most had steal bottoms and were dam near indestructible. Destroying them is soo much fun! I remember the Hot Wheels with the flip damage panels and change colour in water paint jobs.

My Bro was into dynoriders, he got the big f-off walking t-rex for xmas witch was like $40 ($1,800 these days) so I opted for the Matchbox road garage thing for the same ludicrous value, begged for the whole year.. got it. was awesome, made tracks everywhere and could turn it into a parking tower.

Would kill for one of those.

Posted Image

Motorcity FTMFW.

Bravo, I have two of those Transams, one boxed one with a few shopping trolley dents, will swap for a Supercharger and a box of beer.

I also had a crapload of Matchbox cars. And I never liked the Hotwheels due to the rear wheels being bigger than the front. I have a briefcase Gas Station (is quite big) for matchbox cars.

One of my favourites as a kid.

post-1774-1238544736_thumb.jpg

But I love my little Mini Z more.

post-1774-1238544893_thumb.jpg

But I was into GI Joes more than anything. I had a ton of them. I still have the HUGE Chinook and Forward Sweep Wing Jet somewhere. Also Lego was big for me. I have that huge Pirate ship still. Was a bit spoilt as a kid as my brother and sister were twins and 8 years yonger. So I did not get much attention. I am not complaining. lol

Almost forgot about Mirco Machines!! Wonder where mine are.

Toys were so much better back in the 80's. Quality was 10X better. Toys these days are a joke.

I always wanted this. The Gigantic GI Joe Aircraft Carrier. A Japanese friend of mine had it.

Posted Image

Edited by driftit

Matchbox FTW!

Did anyone have KITT with the turbo boost launcher? That was my fav matchbox.

While reminiscing about the good old days did anyone go see KITT when they did a bit of a tour

round NZ? Remember seeing that and the batmobile in Napier in the 80's....oh the memories.

post-1591-1238547050_thumb.jpg

Edited by 3 SERIES

Guest Simon*

Matchbox looks better to me, have always hated Hot Wheels.

I used to as well but I was impressed that the Hotwheels seem heaps better than they used to. The axles used to be so flimsy in my day!

Was even more pissed off a few days later when my mate crushed my late '70's Pontiac Firebird Transam with targa top in silver complete with firebird decal painted on the bonnet. I loved that trans am lol. It's one of the few toys I remember. Took it home to dad who was able to fix it (new wheels and axles, windscreen survived luckily, glue on floor pan, and tried to straighten the roof). So I had it back, but it was never the same again all scratched up 'n sh*t.

I have that one :ph34r: but in black with firebird on bonnet. Always wanted to paint it pink and black like the one from "Shaker Run"

That aircraft carrier is the shizzzzzz!

I still really want a Millennium Falcon though - always have

Guest Simon*

Oh and there were heaps and heaps of Matchbox Merc CLS but I hunted high and low for an E92 M3 or similar. I would have been all over that like Madonna on an African orphan

Matchbox FTW!

Did anyone have KITT with the turbo boost launcher? That was my fav matchbox.

While reminiscing about the good old days did anyone go see KITT when they did a bit of a tour

round NZ? Remember seeing that and the batmobile in Napier in the 80's....oh the memories.

Hell yea. Memory lane hard!! That’s going back, I must have been about 5.. That launcher was great for launching cars to their doom!!

If any kid had that huge ass aircraft carrier they were way to spoilt, that’s epic.

Haha I remember it being massive. My friend had a room just for it. Single Child Jap Kid.

Bottem left of the pic. 7 1/2 feet long! Woh!

I've got around 6-700 hotwheels, complete series from 1995 till around 2000 when they started making to many to collect...

Have old Dinky stuff aswell, Die Cast Thunderbirds, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, JOe 90 etc..

Hopefully they will be worth something one day...

(Been offered 900 cash for the Chitty Chitty Bang Bang Dinky :P)

Guest Ari Gold

I have that M-tec 1 E30 as well! It's got an unpainted front bumper and what appears to be M3 wide arches but without the c pillar.

My favorite of my collection is a corgi bright orange M3, with what looks like CSL Group 5 arches, a massive rear wing and front spoiler with quad fogs and headlights, but its definitely an E30 shell. Looks like a DTM car on 'roids.

this! But orange:

Posted Image

I loved G.I Joe's and micromachines! I had over 500 micro's at one point, I wonder what happened to them all, can only find a couple, but I still have the E30 M3 monster truck one :D

I got into 1:18 really early on in the piece, got about 60 or 70 of various marques, makes and models. I'll see if I can dig up some pics!

My grandma has a whole bounty of my uncles old dinky's that I used to play with when I was lil'.

I'll have to get them out and see whats there now I have a better understanding of cars lol.

Guest Ari Gold

Na, its got canon and castrol stickers and #44. It's jager orange too,

this! But orange:

Posted Image

Haha the real life version

+1 to crushing. Or pushing them as fast as you can on the concrete to see how many times you can roll them and see how much chaos you can cause. They hurt when they go flying into an ankle or shin...

Ive got quite a collection stashed away somewhere, must get it out and see what Ive got!

Thanks to this thread grown men all over the country will be playing with matchbox toys for the next few days!