Sign in to follow this  
Livi

HELP

Sooooo....livis not a happy chappy......

Car is overheating like there is no tomorrow...

so driving into town car is fine...hit a bit of traffic before motorway exit look down and my temperatures really high i think....thats not good...i keep driving temprature seems to ease up a bit but can smell anti freeze really bad.....i did have a full car and it was a really hot day...but i would turn car off to cool it down and it would not go down until i started to drive again then it would stay half away...whole drivers side of car got really hot too....the fan doesnt seem to be working...so that could be it? or has anyone else had this kind of problem? so basically it only over heats when i hit traffic or am stopped at traffic lights.

car seems to be running mint other then the over heating , im so worried its stuffed!! but im hoping its just the fan thing :S

Please help! :(:(

I dont know e36's but its probably the fan or a blockage in the radiator/cooling system. If the E36 has a viscous fan you will need to replace the coupling.

Jason

thanks Jason!!

I will have to have a look tomorrow...even though just looking at the engine scares me!! dont know where to start!! lol hopefully it survives the cruise tomorrow and then after that i can look over the car!

just hoping it is something simple like that...thought it may be a common thing in this model beamer.

Had the same prob with my old one, turned out to be the fan coupling, more than likely the fault you have.

Find out if its got a viscous fan. If it does, warm the car up completely. Then turn it off and spin the fan with your hand. If it keeps spinning and doesnt stop straight away then the coupling is stuffed. The coupling has a kind of clutch in it that slips when the car is cold so that the car warms up as quick as possible, then wen its warm the clutch engages and keeps the fan spinning at full speed. When the coupling is stuffed it doesnt lock the fan and doesnt spin as fast as it should.

Hope that helps!

Had the same problem on my E36. The fuse for the auxillary fan was blown. Check the fuse box, the little map under the fuse box cover will point you to the right ones.

Also, make sure your cooling system is bled properly, air pockets in the system can cause overheating problems along with poor heater performance.

Yes lowness always causes overheating.

Or maybe it's just your viscous fan, You never know.

yes lowness may be a factor in this.

thanks for the help guys i shall look into this tomorrow night ... see if i can come up with what it is!

So check fuses and viscous fan if its got one of those.

Hopefully i can locate where everything is! :P ill get back to you all once ive come up with what it is!

You better give me a call Livi .... DONT DRIVE IT anymore... and I wouldnt use it on the cruise today. It needs to be fixed pronto or you will end up doing damage to the engine if its not already done.

Ph. 021921377

Edited by *Glenn*

Ill give you a text tomorrow Glen!! been busy as today!

car did seem fine today but still need to double check!