Sign in to follow this  
bmpower

exhaust issues!

Car is prefl '86 325i manual m20b25

Current situation is i have a set of headers from Wayne on the car already - the rest is standard. i want to lose the middle box (i have no cat to worry about either) and run twin pipes from the headers to a twin in-twin out back box.

The question is what back box to run? I am not interested in noise, i just want a good performance one, with nice tips on the end.

Can anyone recommend one? I do not want a cheap crap trademe one. I was looking at the $200 mark at the moment but that can change.

Any help would be apprieciated.

2 peices of 2" pipe will do the job perfectly

Thanks Oli.......

If you want to do it once, properly and don't mind spending $$$ Remus would be my number one recommendation. That said, my coby and cheap-ass stainless rear box sound pretty good, although I can't tell whether they make a positive contribution to performance if I'm 100% honest.

If you want to do it once, properly and don't mind spending $$$ Remus would be my number one recommendation. That said, my coby and cheap-ass stainless rear box sound pretty good, although I can't tell whether they make a positive contribution to performance if I'm 100% honest.

Is there a distributer/shop for Remus in NZ? Any ideas what i would be paying for a twin in - twin out?

Thanks.

Is there a distributer/shop for Remus in NZ? Any ideas what i would be paying for a twin in - twin out?

Thanks.

The Remus' mufflers aint cheap, we sell them at our dealership for Peugeots, and a single in/twin out for a 307/206 was about $900+gst.

Like Glenn said, Give Woolfs a ring.

Edited by E30BMA

Ok so i've got the back box sorted - and its my new secret weapon! And never been done before in the history of e30's!!! Stay tuned boys and girls....

PS i hope this idea actually works out......

those bloody car salesmen.....

Haha, keep the secret too Oli, need to see how well it works before letting the cat out the bag on here - i'll prob never hear the end of it anyway! Well that is unless of course it works really well!

Car went in today for the exhaust to be 'played' with. Should be ready tomorrow or wed at the latest. Will try and to a sound test on youtube if it all works out ok....

Keep us posted Kerry.

Get the car back tomorrow - (Wed) Will see how it goes....

I'd be guessing... L&R twin tip system ??..... been done before though

I'd be guessing... L&R twin tip system ??..... been done before though

So i got the car back today - and it sounds pretty good! Will post pics and youtube sound when i get a chance.

The system is wayne's headers minus the secondry pipes. So from headers twin stainless all the way with a holden vx/vt rear big bore twin in/twin out back box! I did want to run without anything in the middle but it was too loud so there is somehting in the middle, coby/resonator's - haven't had a good look yet!

Stay tuned....

Not sure yet ay - seems to have a little bit more, but maybe a slight loss at lower rpm. Will have to drive it for a few days/weeks ..when it gets dryer and see what happens. Definatly want to get it on the dyno though to see what it makes!

Still loving those headers Wayne - still probably the best money i spent on the car!

Not sure yet ay - seems to have a little bit more, but maybe a slight loss at lower rpm. Will have to drive it for a few days/weeks ..when it gets dryer and see what happens. Definatly want to get it on the dyno though to see what it makes!

Still loving those headers Wayne - still probably the best money i spent on the car!

yeh that sounds about right. when you get a free flowing exhaust you loose the backpressure you used to have in low rpm. and your motor runs best when there is a certain amount of back pressure. so a more free flowing exhaust will mean not so good down low where the back pressure is low but when the revs are up and you are making the right amount of back pressure then thats when it comes into its element

yeh that sounds about right. when you get a free flowing exhaust you loose the backpressure you used to have in low rpm. and your motor runs best when there is a certain amount of back pressure. so a more free flowing exhaust will mean not so good down low where the back pressure is low but when the revs are up and you are making the right amount of back pressure then thats when it comes into its element

Having said all that i may be wrong - it has been wet every day since i picked her up with the new exhaust! Today was a mission to get traction on steelies at any rev range!

Having said all that i may be wrong - it has been wet every day since i picked her up with the new exhaust! Today was a mission to get traction on steelies at any rev range!

bloody hoon

And on a bad note - got a $150 fine for a loud exhaust last night!!! Talk about ruining my week. Was all hyped up with having it all finally done and sounding nice and bang, just like that all the joy was ripped away and i was fined!!!!!

So so gutted - but was my own fault and i accept the punishment! I also got off quite lightly, and the policewoman was very nice about the whole thing - so the poilce were in my good books, until 5mins later when i was pulled up by a mufty cop for no reason and i mean no reason for 'a random breath test'. So that was the icing on the cake! And now my opinion of the police has dropped once again. Sad sad day. Rant over....

Sorry...thats a fail... If the police are doing their job.. and you got pinged... has to be a + for the police

Go legal and you'll have no problem

Sorry...thats a fail... If the police are doing their job.. and you got pinged... has to be a + for the police

Go legal and you'll have no problem

As i said - the first time i was pulled it was my own fault, and the reason i was pulled wasn't just the exhaust, i was let off with a fine for a noisy exhaust and i have no problems with that because it was my own fault and i accept the fine. Obviously i'm not happy but then who is when they get fined?

I have been pulled over that many times for no reason and had no fines etc that i think why don't i go and buy a corolla? Why take pride in owning something i like and personalising it? Only twice have a ever got a ticket - once for speeding, yes my own fault, and last night - again my own fault and accepted. Its all the other times where they pull me over, and more so in my e36 which is standard height, no performance mods at all. Just tints and wheels - and thats why i get pulled.

The second time i was pulled last night i did nothing wrong and they used the typical 'random breath test' excuse hoping to find something else, and these are the times i am growing tired off and gettng annoyed with.

My car is legal, it just got a wof. I take pride in my car and haivng things done properly! I have spent well in excess of $5000, upgrading and replacing parts etc etc. I will at some stage get the exhaust noise checked, and at low(er) rpm it is fine. When you get up in the rev range ie. 4500+ it gets very loud. Also the exhaust was made to be performance orientated, not to sound loud. The sound is a by-product of the performance.

This is not a 'bash the police thread' and i don't want it to be, just expressing my opinion.

This is not a 'bash the police thread' and i don't want it to be, just expressing my opinion.

Thats exactly what I was hoping this thread was not going to be ?? Weve had enough of those

Sorry you got pinged... what made you a target ??