Sign in to follow this  
bmpower

exhaust issues!

Just a little curious... is it always the same police woman ??

Thats exactly what I was hoping this thread was not going to be ?? Weve had enough of those

Sorry you got pinged... what made you a target ??

Yea exactly, as i said i have no problems with getting pulled up if i've done wrong - just the many other times that i have been 'picked on' with no justification and no ticket! We'll end on that note regarding the police.

I was driving to a mates wife's parents place to pick her up after playing pool, and i stupidly gave the car a bit of stick to show him how the exhaust sounded. Accelerated in 1st, chucked it into 2nd and got a little bit of wheelspin, never exceeding 50km/h. But managed to pick the wrong time and place as there was a cop behind me when i did this. Which is why i had no problem with getting pulled.

I could have been done for alot more than a $150 fine for a noisy exhaust and the cop was really good about it considering. I was just honest, admitted i stuffed up and accepted the fine. But you know whats it like when you get something new, you want to test it out! And i will choose a more careful place next time.

Was done on the wrong night as well i gues being boy racer night in Wgtn, which by the sounds of things they had a big crackdown on them last night anyway!

The second time 10mins later i was driving like a nana, with me, a mate and his wife going back to his place and out of nowhere the lights flashed and the siren sounded. No reason apart from a random breath test was given and he was arrogant about it to - looking over the car trying to find fault. And no ticket whatsoever was given.

I don't know if this is the same cop? Didn't know there was one in particular that was pulling people? The last time i was pulled by a female cop was about 6mths ago. They were parked next to me in the gas station, didn't say anything. And then i left and they left in differnt directions and met a block or two down the road where they pulled me, again for no reason - and again no ticket given!!

Glad to your are happy with headers Kerry. Looking back through your thread you say you have removed the secondary header stage [mid pipe crossover]. Was to wonder why as this is a very important part of this header design?

Glad to your are happy with headers Kerry. Looking back through your thread you say you have removed the secondary header stage [mid pipe crossover]. Was to wonder why as this is a very important part of this header design?

Yea the 2nd part was removed - no real reason. It was easier to build the whole system from the front back. I will be 'changing' some parts of the setup as time goes on and money get free'er!

Have you had the exhaust noise level measured - or did the cop meaure it when you were pinged??

Noise level is subjective if not measured.

No i haven't had it measured, i'm sure it will probably be over though. The cop didn't measure it, but as i said that was't the main reason i was pulled. I did a stupid thing and got pulled over and was lucky enough to get away with a small fine, which isn't even an infringment to get it fixed.

I'm sure i could possibly get off the fine but then i think we could do with more cops like the lady that pulled me, she was very reasonable considering the display i made right in front of her! I did wrong, i accept that and will pay the fine. If i fought it and got off, i would be watching my back the whole time waiting to be pulled. And i'm sure she would think twice about being so leanient* to the next person that gets pulled up.

I could have been done for 'loss of traction', 'dangerous driving', 'excessive accleration', or a $600+ fine under the boy racer act or whatever it is for a loud exhaust - or worst of all if she wanted to be a b*tch, take my car off me....

...I did a silly thing, I got off really lightly - I'm happy with that!

Your post says you got a fine for $150 for a loud exhaust - I recently got a parking ticked for $ 140 including towing fee. If the ticket is contestable then the fine may not be enforced.

Unless you are happy to make a $150 contribution it may be work getting your system tested it is not hard takes 5 minutes to find out if you are close or over.

P.S. I got off the parking ticket - cost me 10 minutes writing a letter.

I will get my system checked when i get a chance. And no i would not normally just pay something before trying to get off it. I recently, well a few months back also got a parking ticket for parking in a disabled park (long story - i was in the right) for $150 and i made a few calls, wrote a letter and got off.

Provided my system is under the limit (which i'm not sure what that is - can someone advise? I think it is 95db @ 3500rpm?) then i have no doughts i could get off it, but as i said originally, the cop was sympathetic towards me for whatever reason (possibly because my job depends on my license) and let me off with a lower fine/punishment for what i did.

Why contest it and fight it just to have this cop turn into one of the majority of them who pull young(ish) people over for no reason and/or give out the maximum penalty for whatever breach of the law was commited, and go over their car with a toothcomb to find any small insignificant fault in which to penalise them for?

Don't get me wrong i see your point fully - i could get away with paying nothing etc. However what if the cop in question decided to take my car off me and do me for dangerous driving or loss of traction etc and handed me a $600 fine? What could i do, nothing? I commited the crime and i am liable to pay the price. If i had been pulled up for doing nothing wrong other than a cop 'thinking' i had a loud exhaust and ticketing me, i would definatly fight it. If i get pulled up for a valid reason, then sweet. I'm more talking about the amount of times i have been 'picked on' for no good reaosn other than the car i drive and driven off without any kind of ticket.

So no i am not happy about paying $150, however i am happier to do that than pay more or lose my car or have points on my license. I also feel if contested and if i won i would become a target - and the next time i stuff up i won't be let off so lightly.

Thank you for your input though, its always good to see other opinions.

So back to the original part of the post - the exhaust. I actually had a half decent look under the car today and this is more for Wayne's benefit. He did actually use the secondary pipe from your headers! It didn't look like it when i first had a glance under the car. I will get it on the dyno at some point. Is anyone organising a dyno day in wgtn/lower hutt? Be keen to see what a 23year old car makes compared with factory figures!

Just had mine dyno'd the other day before i do a rebuild etc. 104kw atw on worn engine with wayne's headers.

Just had mine dyno'd the other day before i do a rebuild etc. 104kw atw on worn engine with wayne's headers.

Thats not too bad. I am hoping for a bit more than that - my e30 has done 240,000kms but still feels and goes pretty well. It has been a well looked after car with a long service history etc. Time will tell though - just need to find a cheap dyno....