Sign in to follow this  
zoom-motorsports

e30 m20 2liter engine mods?

Strict rules mean E30 series cars can only run a basic CAI, catback exhaust and .... I think that's pretty much it.

If you want decent power from an M20, buy a 2.5. ;)

do a full rebuild, chuck high comp pistons in, deck the block, get an expensive muffler system thats about it really, not very cost effective

the most cost effective way to get power out of a m20b20 is to replace it with a m20b25 :P

not to be rude but there are a few threads about this already

Hate to say it James, but the front 320's in the race series are putting out over 130 at the wheels, about the same as a 325. Doubt they'll tell you what they've done tho, not the truth anyway.

I do believe I said the most cost effective way is to change the engine, I know to get an engine that will get 130rwhp you can spend 12k to get one from RaceFX, I never said they cant put out the same power, just to get the same power you gotta spend a load of cash.....

ooops. you're right of course, money can buy most things eh? :rolleyes:

But then would I/we still be able to use the 320i gearbox and all the 320i stuff?

But then would I/we still be able to use the 320i gearbox and all the 320i stuff?

Yep. Gives nice acceleration due to the ratios..

i have a nice 2.7L block that you could bolt on your 2L head . give the car a nice increase in power and torque .

bolt on upgrade :rolleyes: ...

post-279-1239831840_thumb.jpg

The 6 cyl boxes fit all 6 cyl cars (the e30 getrags will even fit the m50 series motors - just need the m20 flywheel and starter motor).

Do Headers, cam and valves

and when that gets boring

then put the head onto a 2.7 block.

that way if said mods are enough that's cool if they are not, its all ready for a new block anyway and you didn't buy things twice.

hi guys was just wandering what sort of engine mods do the 320i race series guys do to there motors??? can u make decent power out of them?

From my research and experience without taking off the head you can:

Upgrade the cam..I have done this, its tricky sliding out stubborn rocker shafts but can be done

Fit a 325i inlet manifold and throttle body and grind out the top of the inlet ports to match the manifold. The stock 320 TB and manifold is a big restriction

Swap in 325i 14lb injectors or E36 325 17lb ones and maybe increase fuel pressure regulator.

Headers - though the stock manifold is very efficient..

K&N panel filter in the stock air box and run the cold air ducting well away from heat.

Remap the ECU.