Sign in to follow this  
crazyarab

Tempting

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-213521965.htm

I liiike!

I might pop in and check this beast out...

High km's but what bucket of fun that thing must be.

Anyone know common things to spot on these?

Edited by crazyarab

If I had the cash I would be in and wouldn't care about what is wrong with it. Anything can be fixed, excellent project.

the non standard flywheel fitted doesn't work . engine has a miss

the guy only half finished the conversion , when it got repo'd , previous owner owed money on it .

the non standard flywheel fitted doesn't work . engine has a miss

the guy only half finished the conversion , when it got repo'd , previous owner owed money on it .

If one had the skills and could source the parts, one probably wouldn't have to spend over $5k though right?

Outlay may be around $11-$12k all up, and you have a pretty cool, stealth E31. Maybe a bush-pig when you ever come to sell it, but then again, a fun project and who cares at that type of price?

A genuine NZ new 840 in manual with that type of mileage is probably going to still cost high teens or $20k.

Atta, I think you'll be disappointed of the performance of the 8 series after the M3... they're a bit of a boat really. 7.4 seconds to 100 as opposed to the 6.2 of the M3.

Sounds like it has a few issues too. Are you prepared for a lemon 840?... they empty bank accounts faster than a gold-digging trophy wife! :)

Atta, I think you'll be disappointed of the performance of the 8 series after the M3... they're a bit of a boat really. 7.4 seconds to 100 as opposed to the 6.2 of the M3.

Sounds like it has a few issues too. Are you prepared for a lemon 840?... they empty bank accounts faster than a gold-digging trophy wife! :)

To be honest mate, they aren't too bad in manual - they are far more fun than the autos. They don't have the extra grunt nor chuckability or have the tactility with the steering of a M3, but they are OK. You don't feel any bumps, the car is extremely comfortable and smooth and a lot more refined. Additionally, they look great. Apart from a similarity to the E26 M1's nose cone, the E31 looks very unique and still looks modern even if the first one left the production line in 89'.

You'd just need to check this thing out to see if it warrants the investment to get it right...