Sign in to follow this  
laadeelaa

Should I get an e30?

After I finish my uni semester this year, I was considering buying an e30, learning to drive manual in it, etc. Think it's a good idea??

Thats the smartest thing you've ever said. Definitely do it.

Haha I was taking the piss guys.

I have a nice dress that colour. Would be a nice nail polish colour too.

After I finish my uni semester this year, I was considering buying an e30, learning to drive manual in it, etc. Think it's a good idea??

Ill teach you how to drive manual in the evo :P:D

What?? Paint my nails that colour?? JOKES. What type of e30 should I be looking out for?

Ill teach you how to drive manual in the evo :P:D

Oh god. Do you want a broken gear box?? Thanks wifey.

I split the topic so we could discuss this and not be off topic.

How much power do you want?

I couldn't go back to a 318. Oh god. Or a 320, just about fell asleep whilst driving the car I was given for a run around when my e39 was getting fixed.

So a 325? I'd be paying a bit though wouldn't I?

Have you driven a 318 manual. Not as slow as you might think. They are lighter than the 6-cyl cars, and without the auto box to slow themdown, perfectly capable. But if you want something with a bit of pull/pace, then 325 is the way to go.

Oh and your 525 is probably similar in performance to a 320.

YES on both accounts. get a M325i i would guess you could get one for 6k or just a standard 325i for around 4

m325i anything up to $9k. But they have dropped. Not asking the $12k of a year ago, and many down as low as $6k.

Well the point of wanting a manual is for power, and like a project car I guess.

Buy yeah, I just want a manual, for a weekend car, and have my e39 for a daily.

Edited by lady525

Go manual, far superior! Got a ballpark budget figure?

Just realised this car is up for sale. AGAIN. trade me

This one needs a bit of a tidy up, but i think it's pretty cool.

Have you considered an e34? If you were to sell your e39, you could get a nice 540 like this for similar money. Then you're left with an awesome looking car that dashes to 100 about 2.5-3 seconds faster than your e39. You could always drop a 5spd in it too.

Are you concerned about fuel economy or maintenance costs?

Are you concerned about fuel economy or maintenance costs?

Karl... this is a girl.. you have to remember, nail polish, makeup, dresses, shoes, chocolate, shopping, phone costs... of course she'll be worrying about costs

Get a 318i manual they aren't too slow and get good economy. Plus g240s don't break.

They don't break unless your name is Stuck and you put an e36m3 engine in front of it ahaa.

That 325i with the Alpinas is awesome!

If you want to learn to drive a manual, it would much cheaper to get a few lessons in a manual or go and see Budget and rent a Corolla for a weekend.

As for learning how to drive properly, a E30 is a good car to own. I had my first E30 (an '89 318i manual) when I was 16, driving in the wet around Mt. Vic / Roseneath in Wellington taught me how to control a car and keep that tail in check.

That first trademe one is awsome, bit of money but worth it.

I definitely believe the ability to drive a manual car is a good skill-set to have.

When my Mum was a little girl growing up on the farm she and her sister had to know, from an early age, how to drive the farm equipment so that they could go get help if needed. Obviously that is less relevant in this day and age but surely its better to be able to drive a manual and not have to, than to not be able to and suddenly find yourself in need of those skills.

Besides which, manuals are WAY more fun. I'm not a particularly talented driver (at all) but I have never driven an auto that can do a better job than I can (usually they do a lot worse, reactive rather than proactive), and I have never driven a manual car and thought to myself 'well this is nice, but it'd be even more fun if it was an auto'.

In short, if you care even remotely about cars (and you must, otherwise you wouldn't be here) you've got a get a manual. E30 seems as good a start point as any.

sounds good lol just no chromies

i did too.... i now own one....

this site reaps of E30'ness

Easy answer is no. You already have an old BMW that costs to much to maintain, why would you want another??

Guest Simon*

Why bother buying one just to learn to drive? Just borrow/or arrange to have lessons from someone who owns one. That would seem the obvious answer to me. There might even be some members from round your area game enough to let you stall, bunny hop, ride the clutch and crunch gears in theirs ;)

If you're still pleading poverty as a poor student then the idea of two cars is silly - especially choosing an E39 as a daily over a smaller lighter more economical car as a "weekender"

Incidentally, what happens when you sit your driving test in an auto? Do you get an "Automatic only" license?

Guest Ari Gold

Oh jesus this is too easy to leave alone.

Why bother buying one just to learn to drive? Just borrow/or arrange to have lessons from someone who owns one. That would seem the obvious answer to me. There might even be some members from round your area game enough to let you stall, bunny hop, ride the clutch and crunch gears in theirs ;)

If you're still pleading poverty as a poor student then the idea of two cars is silly - especially choosing an E39 as a daily over a smaller lighter more economical car as a "weekender"

Incidentally, what happens when you sit your driving test in an auto? Do you get an "Automatic only" license?

Sigh. I said I was looking at an e30 once I had finished Uni, which is in July, then I'm working full time till next year. Therefore I'll have money...

I'm not just purely buying an e30 to learn to drive manual in, the title of this post wasn't written by me.

I highly doubt the guys that live around me in Hamilton would let me drive their cars. I'd rather have Livi's evo to learn in, haha cos she's a girl and I wouldn't get so embarrassed.

My point is, I'm not buying an e30 to learn to drive manual in okay. Plently of other people on here own 2 or 3 bmws, so there is nothing wrong with me owning another one.