Sign in to follow this  
razmar

service light reset

Hi

i have a 316i 1900cc coupe2000 model, and i would to know how to reset the service lights, under the bonnet there is a large plug next to the spark plug coil, how can i reset this ? i do most of the maintance myself after having been ripped off by the local garages, any help would be great.

cheers

:mellow: razmar

You buy a $100 tool off TM or go to the dealer.

After changing the oil for your car, the oil service light stays on (on the red) and it becomes very annoying to you sometimes. It makes me upset just to see it like that, so I wanted to find out how this creature is reset. It turned out that the procedure is very simple and it doesn’t need time, money or even special equipment. Well, only a paperclip ;-). The following article will show you how this thing is done within couple minutes. BTW, I didn’t write this article. I found it here in case you want to read it. Ready? Ok here we go . . .

Disclaimer: Use this procedure at your own risk!! I’m not responsible for your mistakes man!

First, pop your hood and find the diagnostic data port. It is located on the right side of the engine bay near the right strut tower.

Posted Image

Unscrew the cap. You will see a big Pac-Man shaped hole and twenty little round holes.

What is a Pac-Man? Never mind. We are only concerned with pin 7 and pin 19 (note: the words "pin" and "hole" are used interchangeably in this text). Refer to the picture below to find pins 7 and 19.

Posted Image

What we will be doing in this exercise is connecting pins 7 and 19 with a paperclip for four seconds. This will reset the oil service light. Simple, no? But first, here is the list of pins and what they are supposed to do:

Pin Terminal Description

1 TD TD Signal

2 - Not occupied

3 - Not occupied

4 - Not occupied

5 - Not occupied

6 - Not occupied

7 SI Service Interval Reset

8 - Not occupied

9 - Not occupied

10 - Not occupied

11 - Not occupied

12 61 (D+) Generator Charge Indicator

13 - Not occupied

14 30 Voltage; Hot At All Times

15 RXD Diagnostic Data Link

16 15S Voltage; Ignition Switch in Run

17 - Not occupied

18 PGSP Programming Line

19 31 Ground

20 TXD Diagnostic Data Link

OK, using a paperclip, Bend your paperclip it so it looks like this:

Posted Image

Well it doesn’t have to look exactly like this, but you get the idea. Use pliers if you have to. We want those little loops at the end to maximize the contact with the conductors in the holes of the data port. If you can’t make those little loops at the ends, that’s okay. Just don’t go running around with sharp objects.

OK, now you’re ready to reset the oil service light, so turn the ignition key to position II, but don’t start the car. Get out of the car and go to the data port. Always connect pin 7 first. Once you’ve inserted one end into pin 7, insert the other end into pin 19 and hold it there for 4 seconds. Then remove the paperclip. Check the dash and the oil inspection lights should be reset. The reset occurs upon removal of the clip.

IMPORTANT: DO NOT HOLD IT THERE FOR LONGER THAN 10 SECONDS or you may inadvertently reset your inspection I/II interval.

Posted Image

OK, you’re done. It was pretty easy as I promised! Wasn’t it?

And if the wrong pin is accidently bridged say goodbye to computer and possibly other electrics, best to do it properly to avoid this.

You would have to be retarded to get it wrong after doing it for three years but for someone trying it for the first time there is no turning back, once it's done it's done.

I've been doing this for a while with a bit of electrical wire, pins 7 and 19

Remind me why you'd pay $100 for a special tool for this?

I've been doing this for a while with a bit of electrical wire, pins 7 and 19

Remind me why you'd pay $100 for a special tool for this?

Wow i thought i did?

You may get it right, the next one also might but then there is always gonna be one who f**ks it up and bridge the wrong pin. Pin 8 and 19 or 7 and 18 etc.

Fair point Greg, i think i will make up a tool to do this tommorow, just to keep the wires apart, All it would take is one brain fart then all over lol. Why hadn't i thought of it before?

You may get it right, the next one also might but then there is always gonna be one who f**ks it up and bridge the wrong pin. Pin 8 and 19 or 7 and 18 etc.

Dunno how they'd do that unless they were totally illiterate... On e34s they have the pins numbered. Are other models different?

Seriously, If you have the savvy to pick up a spanner and take it near your car, resetting the service lights should be as easy as drinking water.

Edited by blakamin

Hey blakamin, looks like we both gonna miss out on those lights lol. I'm choppa on bf.c

Edited by bellicose

Hey blakamin, looks like we both gonna miss out on those lights lol. I'm choppa on bf.c

awwbugga.... was gunna suggest you get them and if you didn't like them, I'd take them off your hands for the same price inc your shipping and theirs

:(

recognised the sig pic :D

Edited by blakamin

Are you sure you'd fry your computer by getting it wrong? That seems incredibly implausible to me - having had a fair bit of experience with building and fixing electrical circuits, I cannot see why it would be designed such that bridging the wrong terminals would result in a short circuit with a high enough voltage/current to do any damage. It's just an inspection port, isn't it?

edit: Also, looking at those pictures, you'd have to be retarded to get it wrong. It would require more than a slip of the hand - it would require a total absence of thought.

Edited by Mike.Gayner

Its curious that BMW and other diagnostic tool companies make special "safe" tools to do this with. Why dont they give their technicians hairclips or pieces of wire ??.... the answer... BECAUSE THEY'RE NOT STUPID

Edited by *Glenn*

This topic has come up so many times over the last few years. I totally agreed with Greg & Glen on this matter. Using a paperclip to reset your service light is crazy. It may work perfectly fine but I myself am not willing to try it. Just last week I purchased a Draper Service Reset Tool (what Jeff Gray use) from ebay uk for $40 NZD. Why would you bother with a paper clip at that price? Cheap maybe?

The reason that they make a safe tool is because there are negative & positve pins and data line pins...get it wrong...you wont blow a fuse you'll do damage.

Secondly... if you were doing a "proper" service, you would be using a scanner to check data and fault codes anyway

Edited by *Glenn*

If I were servicing 50 cars a week, I would invest in the tool. Spending $50+ on a tool for a home service is a bit silly when there's such a well known, easy technique for resetting the light yourself.

A matter of opinion either way, lets wait to see how razmar got on of they tried it the bogan way :)

If I were servicing 50 cars a week, I would invest in the tool. Spending $50+ on a tool for a home service is a bit silly when there's such a well known, easy technique for resetting the light yourself.

Haha i've spent more on a single tool that i've only used once! I try and find uses for it but never can... 

In the long run it isn't that much (2 weeks worth of beer) and for someone who doesn't have the electrical knowledge or can do of yourself the Draper Service Reset Tool (or simalar product) would be the best course of action.

I've done it with a fused wire plenty of times. The reason why the technicians would use the tool is that the tool can do several other things, removes the chance for error, and allows the job to be done quickly and efficiently with no chance of cock up on a customers car.

So if you want to take the risk, you know the dangers - go ahead. If you don't you know how much the tool is.

Stop getting all bent out of shape over such a petty argument. I've deleted your personal attacks to each other. I thought the recent posts about appropriate behaviour on the forum were clear?

Haha i've spent more on a single tool that i've only used once! I try and find uses for it but never can... 

So have I - but only when I needed the tool to get the job done.

Edited by Bravo: Antagonising remark removed. Keep it clean. You have been warned.

thanks for all the replys everybody, i seem to have a odd ball then as i dont have all 20 female in the plug that are live, i tried to do as showed and nothing happened, i put a test light between 7 and 19 and no power showed up, this was with the key in postion 2 ie with service lights showing etc , is it just me or did i not do it right, the picture i looked showed a full plug ie with all 20 pins with their numbers showing , i have about half the amount so does the picture numbers stand or do i look for another number 7 and 19 HELP.

raz :o

thanks eagle that link had more info and good pictures, i think ill give it one more try , then go to the dealers for it, i just dont like what they have done with this car, claining to have done service 1 and 2 only me finding out air clearner was the one that came with the car, ie made 29 03 2000 , also old spark plugs and oil filter, so much for service .

cheers raz