Sign in to follow this  
bmw_guy

e30 Passenger side leak

Hey guys,

Not sure if this has been covered before, but i was vacuuming my e30 this morning and as i lifted up the passengers side mat, i noticed that the underneath carpet was more or less puddled. This continues through to the rear passenger also?

Any ideas where the leak is coming from? The mats however are not wet, just underneath

Thanks

Brook

you heater could be leaking or it could come from.......outside :P

Do you have a sunroof? Is the water green? Were you parked on a slope when it rained? If yes facing up hill or downhill?

They also get rust in that corner behind the fuse box where the wiring loom goes through the firewall and under the windscreen rubber

+1 for parking on a hill. It will overflow in the boot if your boot seal is bad and go behind the back seat and under the carpet into the front seat footwells.

Not a fun job to dry it out :(

Vaguely related but I found some water in my spare tire cavity on the e36 quite some time ago, now I've noticed my LH rear footwell seems 'bulgy'. Could these two be related?

My 325 did that on my driveway which is on a hill.

Turned out one of my drain holes for my sunroof had blocked up and the water was just flowing into the car.

Never buying another E30 with a sunroof thats for sure. lol.

Hey guys

Na not parked on a hill ever, SIR E30 and i pulled up the carpet and found that the water was gushing in just under the glove box if that makes sense?

And was coming in from the vents by the window wipers on the bonnet.

Do you have a sunroof? Is the water green? Were you parked on a slope when it rained? If yes facing up hill or downhill?

I have a sunroof, not sure if water is green. Its not literally puddling. And na it was when i washed my car, on flat ground

Sounds like you've got a rust problem, the water going through the vents drains down the join between the wheelarch and firewall, basically as said it's behind the glove box on the engine side where the wiring from the fusebox goes through a hole that has a rubber grommit.

Just pull out the glovebox and lift up the carpets and have a poke around.

See my maintenance thread on car cancer

Edited by pando

They also get rust in that corner behind the fuse box where the wiring loom goes through the firewall and under the windscreen rubber

Yup turns out thats where its rusting.. Gutted.

Check the plastic sheet between the door card and door frame. if its not sealing off the door frame it comes thru there too.

Just got back from Auz, to find my car absolutely puddled! and a flat battery :(

ohh... you should have put it in the shed to dry out while youy were away!

far just took all the carpet out!

what a mish!

took all day

Well its heaps easier the 2nd time so there's something to look forward too :)