Sign in to follow this  
bravo

There goes my $19/doz Becks

Northland Man Commits Suicide: Supermarkets increase price of Beer

I have a panchant for Becks, but at $29/doz retail its a bit on the steep side, so when the supermarket would do a $19/doz deal I'd buy 15-odd dozen at once and store it. Those days may be over :( Bloody Liqour Licensing forcing me to drink sh*t beer!

That sucks we always go to the supermarket if we are buying beer as they always have a special on some brand or another.

Get a Gilmores account card. I can “employ†you.

PS: Becks is yucky.

haha not a fan of becks either, Budweiser's going cheap at a few liquor stores at the moment i used to pay over 30 bucks a box now its around $20 up the road..YAH

Edited by Blackie

haha not a fan of becks either, Budweiser's going cheap at a few liquor stores at the moment i used to pay over 30 bucks a box now its around $20 up the road..YAH

It’s not bad at all is it! Defiantly my fave at the moment, might just be the novelty factor!

Get a Gilmores account card. I can “employ” you.

Not sure whether it would be all that cheap with freight. Regular pricing is not available on the website without a login.

more proof of stupid idiots killing it for the rest of us...

Quote:

""This sudden desire to fix up loss-leading is because they don't want the public to look at their practices," she said."

I think we all knew about this before... i personally don't see a problem with it... I go in to buy cheap beer, and then decided to buy sausages, chips, dip, poweraid's for the morning... it's a marketing tool... who cares????

Anyone feel like they are being con'd or ripped off?

It’s not bad at all is it! Defiantly my fave at the moment, might just be the novelty factor!

haha novelty! but actually thats what got me to drink budd at 1st but its def my fav because its actually the KING OF BEERS haha it tastes good...once upona time it was impossible to find a box that hadnt gone beyond its due date, but i think theres a new importer and the price has majorly dropped!

Guest Simon*

I choose which supermarket to shop at by whichever one has Corona/Sol on best special.

Plus it's easy in Napier as within a 5km radius there are 2 Pak'n'Saves, 2 Countdowns (across the road from each other - seriously WTF?!), a big New World, a small New World. This place is supermarket central

Bravo - quality over quantity. Don't reduce your standards!

Just drink less. I'd rather 3 good beers than 6 average ones.

Bud is weasels piss.

Im going through a Kingfisher phase at the moment. Monteiths Black is my night time choice of beer with a Cigar. Heineken for my party beer. Speights Summit for my sunny day beer. Leffe Brun for my relax at teh pub beer. And Lion Red for my quantity beer/when theres nothing else in the fridge. Ive been known to resort to Double brown also, in fact my Yardie was DB. All the other beer was gone :'(

OT though, I don't worry about what I pay for beer. Cant put a price on happiness

Budweiser is less than $US8 a dozen here. I can't stand it, it is too bland for me (as are most mainstream US beers). However there is a thriving microbrewery industry here and I can normally get very good beer for about US$12 a dozen. I have been on a real taste testing frenzy as of late.

I can also buy Steinlager here for about the same price as in NZ, in fact it is quite popular here. I always get comments when wearing my All Black jersey.

Cheers

Grant

Moa and Tuatara for Kiwi beers +1

Tuatara do a good pilsner

emmerson's one isn't bad either...

Moa is very good. I like the cork concept and the fact it is brewed differently than normal.

I've been a VB drinker for years and I pay $34.00 for two dozen stubbies at my local liquor store.

I was surprised last week when my family from Australia were over here, and my son-in-law told me that a slab of VB in Sydney costs around $40.00 Australian which is about $47.50 New Zealand.

How can the Aussies ship this beer over the ditch and sell it cheaper here that in Australia?

Interesting. Once again the blame for alcohol abuse is shifted and the wider population suffers. Sure removing the lower costs might make the smarter people think twice before buying a case of beer but the people who abuse alcohol are still going to buy a case of beer no matter what the price is, it'll just cost them more and what will that achieve?

Doesnt bother me, Not man enough for beer yet lol.

Billy Mavericks FTW.

Guest Simon*

God I hate the PC brigade. Stop meddling in our lives!

Why does the majority always have to suffer to indulge the minority? And accidents are accidents, sh*t happens. You can't prepare for, legislate or avoid the stupidity of human nature. Darwinism and survival of the fittest rocks :)

woah, burned by everbody with their flash beers...

young, dumb and drink to get drunk

Interesting. Once again the blame for alcohol abuse is shifted and the wider population suffers. Sure removing the lower costs might make the smarter people think twice before buying a case of beer but the people who abuse alcohol are still going to buy a case of beer no matter what the price is, it'll just cost them more and what will that achieve?

From what I have seen here in South Auckland, those that abuse alcohol tend to buy the cheaper brands of beer like Kiwi Lager, Ranfurley etc. Not my taste but it's usually high alcohol content foul tasting cheap crap that the local drunks drink.

The beer that the supermarkets discount are usually the premium brands that aren't popular among the members of our lower socio-economic community.