Sign in to follow this  
tire

g240 plug sizes

Hey, what size sockets/bits do I need to loosen the drain and fill plugs on the manual gearbox in my 89 318i?

I'm asking cause I don't have any hex head bits so I will need to buy the right ones.

Also, is it the same for g260s?

Cheers.

You need a short 17mm allen socket, Powerbuilt make a special one just for BMW's, if you get a standard long one it won't fit between the gearbox and the tranny tunnel and you'll waste about 30 bucks (Ask how I know that..)

You need a short 17mm allen socket, Powerbuilt make a special one just for BMW's, if you get a standard long one it won't fit between the gearbox and the tranny tunnel and you'll waste about 30 bucks (Ask how I know that..)

If you get the longer one it has more uses and you just use a 17mm ring spanner on it

I realized that too when i got a std one so had spend a few mins with the hacksaw

If you get the longer one it has more uses and you just use a 17mm ring spanner on it

Eagle Posted Today, 01:31 PM

I realized that too when i got a std one so had spend a few mins with the hacksaw

Jamez Posted Today, 01:46 PM

^^^ haha i had the same thing happen to me.

Haha Square peg.. square hole

Edited by melowpuf

Haha Square peg.. square hole

Yeah... I agree Lance... some of these guys can't think outside the square

Its all good, i just make myself a special gearbox plug tool

I don't know where else there is a 17mm allen hole in existance! So the 10 dollar proper bit for a ratchet works well :D

Anyone want a full sized 17mm allen bit? Free.

I don't know where else there is a 17mm allen hole in existance! So the 10 dollar proper bit for a ratchet works well :D

Anyone want a full sized 17mm allen bit? Free.

When you graduate up to an E36 or E39 you will need one to check your Auto Trans fluid :P

i use a 17mm wheel bolt with 2 nuts locked onto it

I found that out the hard way as well. If you loosen the gearbox mounts and drop the gearbox a bit I think you can get it in there.

I found that out the hard way as well. If you loosen the gearbox mounts and drop the gearbox a bit I think you can get it in there.

Then the level wont be accurate....it will be overfull depending on how far you drop it....especially if you jack it up in the front to check it

Hey thanks Glenn.

I bet people have some interesting tools / experiences to share with regard to getting the fluid in the fill hole? :rolleyes:

Hey thanks Glenn.

I bet people have some interesting tools / experiences to share with regard to getting the fluid in the fill hole? :rolleyes:

I just used the tube that came on the end of the ATF bottle and squeezed it in no probs