Sign in to follow this  
pjay

Just a thanks

To Ray.

Who completed my Manual conversion very quick prompt like. And wow, am I impressed!

The difference between driving a 328i Auto and 328i manual is phenomenal!! It really does noticeably accelerate a lot faster than the auto, feels a lot more aggressive too.. I think thats the word I want. Yeah, aggressive is the right word.

I've lost some top end but Id say that's the different ratios, Could hit the end of the clock down a hill with some wind behind me in the Auto but I havent completely clocked her out over the weekend due to all the rain. Have been at 220km/h at around 5k revs, and it gets there damn fast too.

Not 100% sure on the diff ratio, though I remember Ray saying something like a 3.7 something?? Maybe a 3.63? But anyway, Ive noticed that with my typical driving, which is around town and 50km zones, I can sit in 5th gear - 1500 revs, 15 km/L on the fuel eoconometer (yes I made that word up) where in the auto it would consistently be around 10Km/L in a 50 zone. So I'm liking the current diff ratio to be honest. Spoke to Brian yesterday and he made reference to a 3.15 diff ratio, which I'm taking into consideration, but for now the poor mans supercharger is really doing it for me!

Im finding any excuse to drive now, even more than I used too! Need some groceries, I'll drive! Mrs wanted to go shopping, I'll drive! Mates wanted to go to town, I'll drive! Sister needs a ride to the mall, I'll drive!! On Saturday alone I clocked up 200km's!! :D:D:D

All in all. I'm more excited than ever when I get to drive somewhere. My face is split ear to ear when I change gears at my OWN pace, not the bloody Auto boxes pace. I love it. Think I'll keep her a while longer.

Thanks Ray.

Like a kid in a candy store eh?

Welcome to manual gearbox ownership... it's a blast! :)

All good Peter

I put a 3.15:1 in mine when I went manual. Gives approx 2,700rpm in 5th @100kph... could've probably gone a little taller though running the 2.8

yes auto use a 3.73 manuals use 2.93 or 3.15

According to realoem Jap versions can use a 3.46!?!

Unfortunately the only place it was marked on mine was on a sticker on the top of the diff.

NZ new 328 autos (euro spec) use a 3.07 which is real close to the manual 2.93.

So I could possibly have a 3.46?

I had a Jatco, so I guess it was Jap?

Pretty sure i have the 3.15 in mine aswell, perfect ratio i think. uses a bit more gas than my old auto though.

So I could possibly have a 3.46?

I had a Jatco, so I guess it was Jap?

You could or 3.64 maybe??

Jatco=Jap.

ZF=Euro.

If it was Jatco it should be A5S300J

If it was Jatco it should be A5S300J

I'm not so sure westy. My car has a A5S 310Z Jatco transmission.

Second Westy's comment, mine was A5S300J. Brian I believe the J at the end of the Jatco stands for Jatco, likewise 'G' for Getrag, 'Z' for ZF.

Congrats Peter. My Jatco was mated to a 4.10 diff IIRC.

Pleased you like the conversion Peter. Always puts a grin on the customers face.

With my daughters 328 we went from 3.64 to 3.46 to 2.93 and then to 3.15 which her lead foot seems the most comfortable with.

On another note I`ve alternated my 540 6spd with 2.93,3.07,3.45 and 3.64 LSD`s and settled on 3.45 as the optimum.

3.46 for my M3.

So Ray, instead of collecting fancy shoes she collects BMW LSD's?!

:D

If it changed your car as much as it changed Glenn's i would be happy too Pjay

according to that site I have a A4S 310R autobox. So it has a R at the end what does that make mine?

Maybe a rewted 4 speed ? (joke)....will look it up later this morning

R=GMPT General Motors Power Train.

A5S300J = (Old designation);

A = Automatic (S=manual)

5 = 5 speed

S = Overdrive(hence high diff ratio) (D = direct)

300 = Torque rating (Nm)

J = Jatco (Z = ZF, G = Getrag, R=GMPT)

Edited by westy

So I had a ZF...

Why did it keep burning the high clutch then? Maybe I really am just skid happy.. Any way! 3 Cheers for manual!

Im going to need a new clutch soon :s

manners and appreciation, what has the youth of bimmersport come to??

sorry to be patronising, great news, 328i manuals rock

Visit My Website

Visit My Website

Shrugs. Where did you find that Brian?

I got this from the "BMW VIN Decoder" web site. Pjay posted the link to it, and westy, if you want to check it, my chassis number is EP82582.

So why would this show as a ZF when I know it's a Jatco? It has to be a Jatco coz it's flaring these days.

Thats what I figured.. My trans was "flaring" as you call it before I got it reconn'd so I assumed I had a Jatco too

And Gus.. Me? Youth of bimmersport?? Ive never rocked compressed springs or chromes :P

The "BMW VIN Decoder" isn't 100 percent right all the time.

Pjay, saw your old trans today, is Jatco.

On topic tho, manual 328s rule!

Edited by westy