Sign in to follow this  
DRTDVL

Peugeot 205 GTi MI16

Way betterer for your ass too. 4 hours in a race seat sucks.

Remember to take lots of pics Heath. 'Cos I won't be there :(

I can't afford it as I'm saving for a seminar in Oz at the end of the year. I should be at Kemp Rd and/or other events closer to Auckland though!

Cam if your bored next weekend and want to come play pit crew your more than welcome...

Cam makes for excellent pit crew btw, saved my brakes at the RallySprint

Way betterer for your ass too. 4 hours in a race seat sucks.

It's amazing what an extra cushion will do! But you have to wonder how the endurance guys manage it.

Edited by JiB

right topped up the coolent ran the engine to make sure no air bubbles... and i'm now hearing what sounds to be something like a loose washer or something making a metal tink sound...

if i can't get it sorted tonight, the cars of to the mechanic and if we can't find it... i'm not going to taupo...

sounds coming from the cambelt area of the car...

joy...

So I it's fixable/going to Taupo? :)

What is it? Can't quite make it out - alternator bracket mount?

:lol: Yay!!!!!!! Go the mighty Pug.

So I it's fixable/going to Taupo? :)

What is it? Can't quite make it out - alternator bracket mount?

Yup...

Bolt is very stretched... Been replaced and now nyloc'd in place...

Oil Leaks = Cam Seals, Rocket Cover, Sump...

Sump Leaks = Seal, and small hole in weld where custom sump meets original sump...

Sump is going to be removed, cleaned, sent to get re-welded...

6 Bar Peugeot Sport Oil Pressure pump spring will be installed also.

Just what you want 2 days before first race day... but i guess this is typical....

Broken: Speedo Cable, Bump Stops

Lost: Race Car Car Keys...

Racecar is still on the trailer in the garage (thankfully it fit).... wasn't a nice surprise when getting back from Taupo at 8:45pm.

Best time around track 2 was 1:26.46 or something like that... i had a passenger at the time...

I could have done alot better, but with 3x 4 lap stints it was hard to get use to the car and refine driving...

I could shave a good 2-3 seconds off that time. I was over driving the car, and carrying way to much corner speed... Also was having traction issues coming out of the corners...

Problems Identified:

Susupension = TOO DAMM SOFT!

Gear Shifting = Can't tell when i'm in 3rd gear... i can't feel it engage at all with the clutch pushed in! Shifted into 5th a bunch of times... so lost a fair bit of time wondering if i was actually in 3rd or not...

Had a few epic loses but recovered them all...

In saying that i had no confidence in the car at the start so it was good... First session was in the wet so that was interesting... new track, new car, no confidence...

In the dry when checked the tyre pressures...

Dunlop semi slicks:

Fronts:

cold = 28psi

hot = 40+ psi <--- guage max..

Rears:

Cold = 28 psi

Hot = 38psi

The gearing is all messed up for the track also.. i think it's going to be great for hill climbs but either on the limiter basically in 2nd or bogged in 3rd for most of the corners...

Not making excuses, i know i could have driven much better... just making comments on the day... before all you haters start in..

Sounds like you had an awesome time.

Re the gearing - Taupo is a bit like that. You'd be a happy boy at Puke (for instance). While your suspension isn't ideal for track, my 2c is that any stiffer will give you issues on tarmac.

SFA - factory weight slightly under 900kg and Heaths probably around 800-850kg + driver.

Pimp, gonna come to the Quine Rd hillclimb 26th Sept? :D

Nah, too many things to now buy... and way way to broke this month now... Looking at $70 for new keys to be cut as i've lost the keys to the racecar.... whoo... =;-(

i like this - what do these things weigh?

SFA - factory weight slightly under 900kg and Heaths probably around 800-850kg + driver.

Cam's right they are lightweights...

I think the cars about 850kg but yet to weight it or have it on corner scales... i'm 106kg so ya... not so lightweight...

Get an alarm and hook a push start ignition up to the immobiliser.. no key needed. Actually, keys are cheaper and lighter.

haha yes they are... i'm thinking about removing the steering lock, and relocting the key as it was smacking into my knee when driving, and i've already turned the car off and had the steering lock mid corner in anouther car before...

Also thinking i need to duct some serious air onto the brakes as with the 15's there isn't much room for the air to flow over the brake. So the alloy wheel is getting damm hot, which is driving up the tyre pressure...

RIght Folks Results are in:

I Finished (drum roll) 5th in class and 15th overall...

Total number of cars = 60

I was basically 3 seconds back on the next in my class who was 9th overall... (1:22.97)

Not too shabby for first time out...

People head of me in my class:

Honda Integra 1st in class 2nd overall (1:21.41)

Nissan Pulsar VZ-R 2nd in class 5th overall (1:22.33)

Nissan Pulsar 3nd in class 6th overall (1:22.39)

Honda Integra Type R 4nd in class 9th overall (1:22.97)

I was a second slower than 14th place...

So lots more work to be done to get the times down....

Guest Simon*

Good stuff Heath

At least you got out there and found out where to focus your attention. Good to have that starting point

lots of things to think about:

Main ones:

Brakes need cold air ducting, due to the minimal clearance they are transfering heat into the wheel and upping the tyre pressure a lot. (we couldn't touch the mag wheel for 10 min after coming off the track)

Rear suspension way way to soft.. hence split bump stop.

Gear lever - can't find 3rd...

I think with the tyre pressure problem fixed and getting a better foot print on the road i could get a good .5 a second and with the gear lever a good 1-2 seconds from that...

so the car is more than capable... it's just got teething problems...

Right so out of a hunch i measured the rear dia. of the torsion bars in the 205 and they are 18.5mm... i didn't check the anti-roll bar tho...

I"m going to harzad at a guess and say its' not 1.9 gti spec as the 1.9gti runs a 19mm torsion bar.

The 18.5mm bar gives me an effective spring rate of: 77.796 lbs

The 19mm bar would give me an effective rate of: 95 lbs

So i can see if i can locate a set of 1.9 19mm bars and i'll say anti-roll bar in the meantime to test with that...

Should help with the rear sag problems i was having...

Pulled the anti-roll bar out today.

The one in the car was 14mm dia... Explains a fair bit.

Put the 24mm roll-bar in but the 306 end plates have a thick bead of weld on them that will need to be ground down before I can use them with the 6.5inch rims as it's rubbing.

Hopefully I can grind it all down before the race on Sunday.

I'll have a look at swapping over the torsion bars also.

Pictures look good.

Is that a peice of trim falling off your right rear wheel? in pic #3?

Yup!

Got to love it. It's the same piece i've lost twice now. The rear part is a pain to attach - i've use a washer and bolt on most of the plastic locators to hold it in place but the rear 3 ones did hold.

Cable ties will own it.