Sign in to follow this  
DRTDVL

Peugeot 205 GTi MI16

well i like it...

i'm going to throw it on the 205 this weekend for giggles... will get a picture...

Oh yea, the bonnet is cool, the yellow stain of a car, not so much.

Why do the Auto’s have a bonnet like that?

If i remember correctly it was only for the carbie'd auto's where the carbie wouldn't clear the standard bonnet so they made a buldged one to accomidate the extra height...

not 100% sure, but auto bonnet is what everyone knows them as...

p.s. i love the color... 

Edited by DRTDVL

I meant that I am probably the only other person to know that the Auto bonnet is desirable!

Car is currently with greg getting the following work done:

- 306 BE3 gearbox fitted - the be1 box had a kevlar clutch in it with vertiually no wear so we will re-use that.

- 23.8mm Brake Master Cylinder fitted

- Wilwood brake bias valve fitted in car - new hardlines will be made for this and run to the hydrolic handbrake.

- ditching the 1.6 hubs, control arms, and driveshafts. Will look at using the 306 hubs, and what we can from the 306 driveshafts before getting new 1.9 gti or 309 gti stuff...

- locate and fix a couple oil leaks

- look at reusing the studs from the 1.6 hubs or get new studs for the hubs

- check condition of seals while the gearbox is out.

Will be mint after that lot. Bonnet bulge looks good.

Will be mint after that lot. Bonnet bulge looks good.

The bonnet has some minor dents at the front but nothing too major... 

Ya i'm hoping that finally after all of this, i'll be able to do an event in the car after owning it for now 8 months!

Right...

Picking up the 205 today after it's been at Greg's for a week and a bit getting all sorts of lovely things do to it...

List of things done:

Swapped Gearboxes:

The be1 1.6 box that was in the 205 had shagged 1st and 3rd gear syncro's, it was decided that the 306 s16 be3 gearbox would be used as a replacement box - the full s16 gear ratios would be used along with the final drive from the s16 box also. It wasn't going to net a massive benifit for the cost involved in stripping down the boxes and building a custom one. Also the bill would be much larger than it later turned out to be... We used the clutch that was in the racecar as it was a kevlar clutch with almost no signs of wear...

I needed a new clutch cable and Nick at Lionspares hooked me up with a brand spankin new one in 2 days at a very good price considering the rush...

The ATB Diff was also swapped over from the be1 box to the be3 box.

Brakes:

I bought a brake bais valve off Targa180 that he had spare and had decided to also get this fitted now as it would be easier with the gearbox out to get around the engine bay. This task also fell onto Greg and his team, and involved making new hardlines to run into the car, along the trans tunnel, into the bais valve and then into the hydrolic handbrake. It's been mounted in a very easy to reach spot for the co-driver and myself so i can either tweek it or yell at the fool in the dummy seat to adjust it...

A new master cylinder was fitted (thanks to Rob for the hookup) it's a 406 none abs 23.8mm jobbie and it's all shiny and new.

Hubs / Driveshafts: grrr the curse of the 1.6 gti running gear comes to haunt me!!!! after failing to mount the 307 brakes the other week i was on a mission... these where not going to conquer me!!! so after reading and talking to a few people it was all on... It was decided that the the 306 hubs would be used. Not knowing if this would work 100% i kinda figured i've got the hubs they didn't cost me anything (from my wrecked 306) why not try... They didn't fit with the 1.6 driveshafts as the shaft dia was different. A quick call to Simon and new shafts and hubs where quickly aquired. After collecting and placing all the hubs together it became very clear that the 1.6 hubs where very different to both the 306 and the 1.9 hubs and that the 306 and 1.9 hubs where almost the same except for some places where the 306 hubs would be stronger... SO it was decided to go ahead with the 306 as they where a stronger hub, now the 306 driveshafts where also compared to the 1.9 driveshafts as a point of intrest as the 1.9 shafts needed work to be useable. The inner shafts where used from the 306 as they where identical to the 1.9 gti and where in much better condition. The 306 CV was used for the inner CVs but they where the wrong spline count and pitch for the outers, a 405 abs CV's where used instead of the 205 CV's for a bit more strength - the abs rings where knocked off also. The 205 outer shafts where used to get the correct length required for the car. So the car currently has 306 hubs, and a hybrid 306,205, and 405 driveshafts.

307 Brakes: Now as the 306 hubs where fitted there was no issue with the mounting of the 307 brakes, Rob again hooked me up with a seal kit for them (although they didn't really need it i figured while they where off the car), i managed to strip them all down but couldn't get the piston out to replace one of the rings... Greg got lumped with this task also.

They are now fitted to the car, just need to look at replacing the pads with some proper motorsport compounds... Incidently it looks like the lovely Black ROH wheels will not clear the new calipers so they will be needing to go... And an alternative set of rims will be needed to be sourced at a later date...

I can't remember what else at the moment has also been done - haha whoo go the cold...

ECU: Found a new problem, well it's been further identified... The car is not reving out to what it should be... I commented to Greg awhile back that the car seam'd like it was limited to 6500-6800 which i think i've posted here before... So it looks like if i can figure out why that is... It's a 3 row ecu from a 4wd model from what Greg remembers as he sold the engine originally to Mark. Looks like i'll need to test anouther ecu on the car to see if it's the ecu, a sensor, or the tacho... Or something else altogether... WHOO fun times... But seeing as how the car is fairly quick now... i can't wait to get the full rev range... I know Peter T in aussie does a chip for them that lets them rev to 7500 so if it's the ecu i might look at just replacing the chip in it...

Opps forgot to add section:

Greg welded a nut onto the out cv face on the passengers side to allow us to use the abs sensor hole to mount the terratrip speed sensor... looks very nice and tidy

Edited by DRTDVL

Your all in trouble now... the car is faster than before... whooo... loving the new gearbox... stays in the powerband much much better... and if you believe the rev counter it was hitting the rev limiter at 6000 instead of 7200 like it should be... soo hmmmm is there more still in it? or is the rev counter in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd too slow to react????

interesting question...

Great progress!

Easy enough to get the rev counter tested, and it sounds like you need to.

I am pretty sure the 307 brakes fit behind 15" speedlines. I think that's what we did on my mate's car, before he went back to smaller brakes (its only a 1.6GTI).

Great progress!

Easy enough to get the rev counter tested, and it sounds like you need to.

I am pretty sure the 307 brakes fit behind 15" speedlines. I think that's what we did on my mate's car, before he went back to smaller brakes (its only a 1.6GTI).

I've got a club dyno day on the 8th of Aug so hopefully Torque Performance can quickly check for me... if not i've got anouther ecu offered to me that i can test with. The one i've got looks completely unmolested (ecu case) and i've been offered an uprated chip for the car to increase the rev limit to 7500 and minor fuel mapping changes (nothing major - it's mainly for the rev limit increase for less than a night in town...) so that will be going in once i pay off this bill... which was incidently almost twice what i was expecting (i did ask for alot more work to be done but forgot to budget for it - hahaha)

I"ve currently got my 306 s16 wheels on there at the moment, but the nice black wheels in the pictures of it now, don't look to fit. I'll also need to test the 405 mi16 wheels i got the other day also...

Its such a rocket ... Will be good to see it now with the new mods! :)

The lovely girlfriend decided that for my upcoming birthday she would buy me the ecu chip for the car... isn't she lovely... Sooo hopefully i should have it chipped to extend the rev limit to 7500 from what ever it is now... grrr.. by the 28th of july...

whooo!!!!

pfft new brakes are for pussys. It was more exciting when they were crap!

Nah, good stuff man. Giving me the motivation I need to do the odds and ends on my car I need to to get it out for a thrash again.

what when i couldn't feel they where about to lock-up???

hahaha

but yeah the car is noticably quicker now than the last time you where in it...

i'm trying to focus on working and not going for a drive... (i;m working from home at the moment...)

Edited by DRTDVL

Awesome 205, im a fan! I even like the bastard child 309 GTIs but thats a bit of a secret :P

Edited by e36.

thanks guys for all the nice comments... it's makes all the pain of 9 months worth it...

The s16 gearbox does an amazing job of keeping the car in the power band more so than the 1.6 box.

I've got a friend lending me a new ecu tomorrow so it would be good to test that and know if it's just the rev counter or the ecu thats the problem.

with the aid of two dummy seat assistants, it's not the ecu... it's the rev counter...

The next biggest problem is that the car feels like it's just getting on song when the rev limit cuts in.

I'll be paying a trip the auto electrical people some day soon i think to see if they can throw a tunescope??? onto the car and we can play match the revs.

The rev counter when floored is getting to 6,000rpm and when gentlely reach redline is showing 6500 or so... not the 7200 that it should be...

Took JIB for a quick little spin in the car... and he to can verify that i have no idea when to change as the engine isn't running out of go when it comes crashing into the rev limiter.. grrr

I"m going to have to look at tighting up the shifter mech as there is too much slop in the throw and i'm finding it very hard to cleanly hook 3rd gear... damm you...

Confirmed that my terraphone amp will let me listen to my mp3 player throw my freshly trademe aquired touring headset... whoo i have a radio in the car now!!!!!! whoop whoop...

Edited by DRTDVL

On your shifter linkage issue,

To those that dont know.. The shifter link in question is a 90 degree bracket which pivots on the elbow like a bellcrank. The factory setup is for the linkage to rotate using a shoulder bolt as the pivot point and plastic bushes as friction surfaces. Its the axial slop on this assembly which causes issues.

I have two ways of potentially fixing this:

1) machiene bushes out of bronze which are a close fit. Conciderations: realitivly easy and simple but may bind with dirt and be stiffer in operation.

2) Create a roller bearing assembly (SKF have suitable bearings). Conciderations: far more positive operation and smoothness but more complex in design and machiening.

What would be your preferance and are there other bright ideas out there?

Is there any drawbacks from having a very positive gearshift mechanisim (kick/vibrations back etc)

hehe thanks matt for that...

You still have my other shifter don't you?

Ohhh i've increased the throw a bit and it's much nicer now... but still can't hook 3rd properly

Also it looks by removing the factory rear lines, and the factory bias valve we have fixed the handbrake binding problem!

But i can't get the rear wheels to lock with the handbrake.. grrr

with the aid of two dummy seat assistants, it's not the ecu... it's the rev counter...

... The rev counter when floored is getting to 6,000rpm and when gentlely reach redline is showing 6500 or so... not the 7200 that it should be...

Well, Heath came around today and we rigged up my crappy Autogauge tach and it seems the little pug rocket is limiting itself bang on 7,200rpm.

Basically, China tach > French tach, LOL.

Its still pulling hard when it hits the limiter too - hardly any tailing off of power at all!

I can't wait to get that 7500 limit chip... Bring on the extra power!

Thanks soo much for the help today Cameron, it's really good to know the ecu isn't bung...

The website i was talking about today is: http://www.taylor-eng.com/index.html

They dyno plot i was refering to is:

Posted Image

I've already got the 355 ecu as it was the one that came with the engine, so the chip won't improve much.

Unfortantly i've got no idea as to what cams are in the car and if they are factory or not...

hehe thanks matt for that...

You still have my other shifter don't you?

Ohhh i've increased the throw a bit and it's much nicer now... but still can't hook 3rd properly

Yep its here in front of me on my desk along with a range of bits for it. Out of interest, discussion at the track yesterday about short shifters, a few had the opinion they are not really worth it as the additional mechanical stress they put on synchro's etc isnt worth the increase in shift speed especially if the synchro is a bit tired already. Its better to let the synchro do its job and preserve parts.

Maybe going for a longer throw could be the best option for now, even once i get the other linkage built up.