Sign in to follow this  
DRTDVL

Peugeot 205 GTi MI16

Cable ties will own it.

tried that too. They are smooth plastic tubes the cable ties slide off

Trim Tape + Self Tappers

Edited by Forrest

rollbar = 768% increase in stiffness or there about! ya baby...

also found the problem for not getting into 3rd gear... the gear lever bushes that allow the lever to pivot forwards and backwards have worn considerably, and are allowing a lot of lateral play in the gear stick.

Currently looking at new bushes that we can make up today in a hope to get that sorted by Sunday. so we can put the car back together tonight/tomorrow...

living the rock'n'roll lifestyle, i dig it

2nd in Class... 17th overall...

needed anouther run or two and i think i could have done a fair bit better... the last run was my only clean run...

hehe almost put it into a bank on the first corner of the second run...

The rollbar has completely transformed the car just need to put in the larger torsion bars now and then work on the other problems...

I had MLM as a passenger for the day so it was a great day enjoyed by all...

All you BMW fans will be pleased to know i lost to a BMW -

Mike Hindmarsh BMW M Coupe 00:58.17 11

Heath Simone Peugeot 205 GTI 00:59.63 17

and we all got SPANKED by Allen Fretwell Subaru Legacy RSRA 00:52.04 (2nd place was 00:55.09)

Pic of you launching on your practice run.

Awesome day out with good improvement throughout the day.

post-3850-1255758576.jpg

Badass :)

If it's the plain black Targa prepped M Coupe, it's got aircon and stereo still B)

Badass :)

If it's the plain black Targa prepped M Coupe, it's got aircon and stereo still B)

Yep thats the car, seen it at a few events now. Looks almost standard inside just with a rollcage and seats..

Just a note i didn't realize my discs covered that much of the wheel space...

You can't actually see anything but disc! go my front brakes!

90% of the people where single occupants only, those that did have a passenger in the car their times where about a second slower with the passenger in the car.

Bring on next year!

The car now has an interesting water temp problem, not sure if it's a gauge, sender, something else...

Driving along and the temp gauge was randomly changing from 85^c to 110^c and back and forth and then finally sitting at 110^c... This while time the rad fans never kicked in and started up.

Have tested the high and low speed for the fan and thats working. So i'm going to have to look at whats causing the issue.

Also decided when i was trying to get the to the plug for the fans that i am not happy with how the wires in the engine bay are run so we are going t look at re-wiring or re-running the wires in the engine back over the summer... whooo!

Beach or Car.... hgmmm

Just been to the beach and its not the nicest day... ran out of tools, talent and patience to fix the BMW so I think i'll push it back into the corner for a few more months.

Electrical gauge problems (assume its electrical) are often dodgy grounds.

With the weather being nice this week after work for a change i decided to start working on the car again. 

So decided to start drawing out the wiring loom for the engine bay, but got sidetracked with the wiring in the rear of the car and decided to start with the phase 1 to phase 2 taillight conversion.

- Removed all excess wiring from the rear end of the car

- Started re-running the wiring for the phase 1 to phase 2 rear light conversion

- Sanded back some surface rust and re-painted with zinc paint (sorry i know it's not Por-15 George)

this is what is will look like (phase 1 on the top, phase 2 on the bottom)

Posted Image

Once this is done i'll only have the side indicator lights to change from orange to white and my quest to rid the car of orange will be complete!

Decided i couldn't be bothered tonight working on the lights so.... now most of the rear end of the car is missing...

No bumper, no brakes, no rear suspension, no rear axle, no rear lights, no exhaust system...

So work for this weekend when not at grey lynn festival =

1) sand and high temp paint the exhaust (mild steel parts as they are getting rusty)

2) fit solid rear beam mounting kit

3) fit larger torsion bars

4) refit above to the car

5) fit phase 2 rear lights / start potential re-wiring of car

6) make up mountings for the front mud flaps and cut the polyurethane sheets to fit.

Edited by DRTDVL

Weekend work = not much...

started attacking the bushes for the solid mounting kit to go and AHHHHH i don't like them... ran out of time before needing to go out for the rest of the day... so thats not finished...

today decided i'll get the exhaust done so started on that... this is what the exhaust was like to start with:

Posted ImagePosted Image

manually sanding with 120grit very quickly became pointless... moved to orbital sander with 240grit (i had them laying about) again pointless... hunted some more found some 120grit discs and again pointlessly slow... Shot down to Mitre10 mega and got some 40 and 60grit discs... and progress was quickly made...

Posted ImagePosted Image

A fair while later it was basically finished with the sanding just a few places to get by hand:

Posted ImagePosted Image

Then time to hang up the exhaust and high temp paint it... I wanted to inital paint it a lovely red for the fun of it... but the flat black had a higher temp rating so i went with that.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Now just letting it dry and then i'll store it until the beam is completed and ready to go back into the car so i can remount it.

Nice, I did the exhaust on the E30 pretty much straight after it was built and it had a sh*t load of rust on it already! I used a grinder and some zek disks, worked real well.

If i get a new exhaust at some point it's going straight to the powder coaters...

Had a good weekend with some work progressed on the 205.

Work completed:

- all bushes removed from rear axle and new group a solid mount kit fitted (group a mounting kit).

- removed all gunk from new torsion bars, sanded down, repainted with zinc paint (red)

- swapped over torsion bars from 18mm to 19mm bars

- refitted rear axle to the car

- refitted exhaust pipe

- looked at possible ducting path for cold air feed for intake system (90% complete on intial design)

so almost set the following on fire:

- garage

- meths bottle

- 205 racecar

- plastic tarp

- plastic lower dash console (removed from car)

- wooden cabnet

items actually set on fire:

- knee pads

- speaker wire

- contrete floor

- haolgen lights

note to self: rubber bushes will retain enough heat to flash ignite meths, which when being poured from a bottle will not be good, quickly moving bottle will result in flying flaming meths drops/streams... Do not do again!

Using 6inch g clamps as a press works very well when mated with 50mm square galv washer plates to increase surface area over the bushes.

When I was refitting the exhaust i noticed the exhaust gasket was screwed so replaced it with z new one I had laying around.

Awesome progress since I last checked this out! I love how you're always doing something.

hahaha i don't... i want to all be done and all it needs is the oil changed, air filter cleaned, and tyres/brake pads replaced...

I've now owned the car for over a year now... and i safely say there has been very few weeks where i haven't been working on the car or working on something for the car.

But yes - it's coming along nicely... It should be interesting to see how it drives with the larger torsion bars and the solid mounting kit.

I wish I had as much motivation (and $) as you!

seriously man, it's not about the money... a lot of it is basically just spanner time. the biggest costs have been the little things like paints, bolts, washers, etc... they have add'd up soo damm fast. it's unreal.

i got the solid bushes about 6 months ago second hand (new never fitted) and never had time to fit them.

I've had a good friend MLM give up a lot of his time and he's been a godsend with helping me - i wouldn't have gotten anywhere near as far as i've gotten without his help... I can't stress the benifit of having someone else helping me enough, even if it's just for the chats while working on the car - it lets you get so much more done...

Also it's great because they/he's thought of so many other ways of doing things and just things i would have never have thought of doing. Also as a calming factor too, Matt's seen first hand what happens when i get frustrated.... WHOOO BFI!!!!!!!!! what was it an hour with the tap set Matt?

Having a friend to help = BIG Motivator

I've had a good friend MLM give up a lot of his time and he's been a godsend with helping me - i wouldn't have gotten anywhere near as far as i've gotten without his help...

.....what was it an hour with the tap set Matt?

Awww shucks man... and yes that was an hour clearing that hole.

Always keen to help out. :)