Sign in to follow this  
jjs

Telecom XT

Just checked out the Telecom website for the details of the new XT network and have to say I am quite disappointed... Telecom XT postpaid plans

I was expecting something revolutionary in terms of pricing. It seems like there is some unwritten agreement between Telecom and Vodafone not to enter into a price war. Hopefully this might change when 2degrees is up and running. As I'm in the office all day, I only use my phone after hours and in the weekend. Maybe I'm a retard, but I can't see any nights and weekend calling plans on the Telecom site. Have they cut this completely in favour of overpriced anytime minutes? If so, it looks like I will be signing up to Vodafone... Your thoughts?

Yea, I thought Telecom has gone to Vodafone website, Control C, Opened their site, Control V !!

My 14yr old daughter will NOT be happy with no $10 text !!!!

Ive known about this for a while now and as its now 'out there' I should be able to talk about it. To be honest, Im as disappointed as the rest of you, but what did anyone expect ?

There is no competition between Vodafone and Telecom and so Telecom have angled the new network as being, better, stronger, faster....but not cheaper.

I saw a comment the other day saying 91% of the people have never used their mobile for the internet. Well thats clearly because the phones arent in the country that make it worth while and those that are here are horrendously expensive, as are the broadband plans themselves. Not because they dont want to.

I mean, who on earth is going to sign up to a 20Mb plan ?

Ive seen whats possible with an iphone and if they were cheaper and the data was cheaper Id be the first in line. A friend can watch anything he has recorded on his HTPC for example as clearly as if he was watching it at home.

Streaming live tv is just around the corner and thats all using free software with the only barrier being the cost of the phone and the data. I would never need to carry an ipod again because I could stream all my music, video, movies, tv, photos etc straight to the iphone. With v3 of the firmware satnav will be available too, so who would buy a dedicated satnav?

The plan Im on with Voda at the moment gives me 60mins of calls, 600 txts and a free best mate. The equivalent with Telecom is $48. It has been mentioned that because Telecom are charging by the second (after the first minute) that you can get upto 25% more minutes than the 50 minutes suggests. But its only any good if your calls are short and many.

So Vodafone continues to get my money and they have no incentive themselves to drop prices.

I dont full understand it?

Are there no sanyo phones anymore and if we want to purchase a brand new telecom is it connected to the telecom xt network?

Im not dissapointed as im with Vodafone and was not planning on going to telecom.

The packages looks very very similar to Vodafone but are actually more expensive in some cases!

Im on the same as Penry, 60 anytime mins, 600 Txts, one best mate. I also got a free $400 phone and 3 month free contract charges. All for $39.95 p/m

Why would you go on telecom when the equivalent is 25% more expensive p/m with only an $80 subsidy off a new phone. Do they do a "best mate option"?

Its a no brainer.....

Telecoms all good for us teens who want the 10$ text

My PC uses about 100Kb in checking for updates everytime I connect my laptop t3g aircard :P why anyone would seriously use it out and about on mobile is anyones guess.

ooooOOoo look honey lets see whats movies are on = fail .. village website uses about 5Mb just to book ticket(s) after get through the flash banners.

Content providers can't be bothered writing sites just for mobile devices because no body really uses them as the plans are stupidly expensive. I would say this is because we would all just use Skype over IP and bypass the whole 'telephone' thing ;)

The quicker mobile internet devices (ALA HTC devices) come out over IP with cheap data/wireless plans the better.

Guest FrantiC

Are they getting rid of $10, 2000 text plan ?? Or is this only if you go onto XT network ? Man I'll be annoyed, I am already sending 4000 txts a month :unsure:

I'm on the Telstra plan, $20 a month, which includes $500 phone, 500txts and anytime calling costs 29c/min. I like the flexibility of it - I dont feel like I have to make calls to get my money's worth, and if I do make a few calls 29c/min is pretty affordable. I just got so sick of txting when trying to organise something, still send a few each month though.

why HTC? Linux ... iPhone, Android .... Plenty of grunt.

I was expecting better pricing than what Telecom has come up with but am not surprised that they have kept them par with Vodafone and played the "better" card. There is no incentive for them to do otherwise.

The best priced plans out at the moment are black and white - and i don't even bother checking data plans because they are just stupid!

Hopefully 2 degrees will come up with some breakthrough pricing that will shake up the market. They should have the ability to do this, they have spent a lot of money on their own hardware (cell sites) and therefore don't rely on wholesale from the big boys. They say they cover 97% of NZ and i think that for the other 3% you can roam on other networks. I wait with baited breath.

The other player to watch out for is Orcon but i can't find much information on it.

Several friends with iphones have sat nav enabled. It's fairly good, but doesn't work too well outside of G3 coverage as the maps are stored online, not in the phone, otherwise it's excellent. Show you as a pulsing dot on the road that is synced to the phones GPS.

Suck battery too - would want to have a docking station. Also, to replace dedicated satnav you'd want to change the interface - dual finger zooming etc is not cool while driving.

I've looked at the plans around and can't beleive how expensive data is. I used Google maps on my Windows Mobile phone the other day on a casual use rate 1c/MB $23.40 on my bill. I could have got the 200MB for not much more, but don't want to spend that much every month for something I use only occaisionally.

And as far as Orcon is concerned, they trained their call centre staff over a year ago for the mobile release and it didn't happen. From what I know, the infrastructure was started and a budget prepared and committed to. I no longer have an insider in Orcon, so I don't know anymore. The recession is certainly having an effect. Kordia is the pusher for mobile with Orcon. Kordia, Orcon and there staff/management are keeping fairly quiet though.

Kordia did release it's two-way mobile devices/network though from memory.

Does anyone know how long the CDMA network will be running for?

Think I might just hold tight with my old Telecom phone and wait for 2degrees to enter the market.

I'm on the Telstra plan, $20 a month, which includes $500 phone, 500txts and anytime calling costs 29c/min. I like the flexibility of it - I dont feel like I have to make calls to get my money's worth, and if I do make a few calls 29c/min is pretty affordable. I just got so sick of txting when trying to organise something, still send a few each month though.

yea I'm on the same plan, I really like it

much better than the $20 I was giving to Vodafone every month for 150 texts and nothing else

NZ Plans suck.

US$40 a month in the US gives you:

*Free phone

*450 Peak Minutes

*5000 Night and Weekend Minutes

*Unlimited Minutes to a phone on the same network.

Oh, and if you don't use all your anytime minutes, they roll-over to the next month.

$99 a month gives you completely 100% unlimited minutes, any time of the day, to anyone in the US.

Now I know why they don't know what texting is :(

Oh and how about UNLIMITED data for your iPhone for $30 a month.

Edited by Eddy

Then move to the US.

Bigger market = cheaper cost to consumer. Same old moan

BlackBerry users? Our Vodafone BB plans use less than 10MB of data a month at the moment (for email traffic).

On the business side, I think they look to be about 10% cheaper. 250 minutes at $99.95 vs $109.95 in the red corner. And they seem to have filled the hole where Vodafone have a 250 minute plan, and a 600 minute plan with nothing in between - the Business One 400 minute plan sits in there nicely for those not wanting to spend $225 a month for 600 minutes and not getting enough with 250 mins / $109 Vodafone plans.

Sure it isn't super cheap for domestic users, but I don't think that is their target market. I previously would not even consider signing any of my staff up for Telecom (let alone myself) because of their technology (or lack of it). However, now I'll be taking a serious look at their plans as I have about 6 users ending their contract in the next few months and at first glance, they don't seem to have done a bad job.

I for one am certainly not complaining that I now have 2 real networks to choose from, and a 3rd on the way :D

BlackBerry users? Our Vodafone BB plans use less than 10MB of data a month at the moment (for email traffic).

On the business side, I think they look to be about 10% cheaper. 250 minutes at $99.95 vs $109.95 in the red corner. And they seem to have filled the hole where Vodafone have a 250 minute plan, and a 600 minute plan with nothing in between - the Business One 400 minute plan sits in there nicely for those not wanting to spend $225 a month for 600 minutes and not getting enough with 250 mins / $109 Vodafone plans.

Sure it isn't super cheap for domestic users, but I don't think that is their target market. I previously would not even consider signing any of my staff up for Telecom (let alone myself) because of their technology (or lack of it). However, now I'll be taking a serious look at their plans as I have about 6 users ending their contract in the next few months and at first glance, they don't seem to have done a bad job.

I for one am certainly not complaining that I now have 2 real networks to choose from, and a 3rd on the way :D

If you ask the right person, when resigning you your contracts Voda will give you extra handset rebates and account credits, they wont take the XT launch lieing down, and i think the real interesting moves will come in the next few day from vodafone. we have allready been given a "licence to kill" this weekend, which means we are to approve extra handset rebates and account credits to get customers to resign.

If you ask the right person, when resigning you your contracts Voda will give you extra handset rebates and account credits, they wont take the XT launch lieing down, and i think the real interesting moves will come in the next few day from vodafone. we have allready been given a "licence to kill" this weekend, which means we are to approve extra handset rebates and account credits to get customers to resign.

Yep - and I already squeezed a great deal from our Vodafone supplier for a couple of new phones that went live last month (really couldn't wait and Telecom weren't coming to the party at the time). ;)

You are right about the near future providing some interesting moves - I'll be watching and listening!

Now I know why they don't know what texting is :(

Oh and how about UNLIMITED data for your iPhone for $30 a month.

I have the unlimited data plan on my iPhone for $30 US.

You are wrong about the US and texting. People here are as text mad as NZers.

The plans here are pretty competitive. We don't have a landline. We have no need for it at all. Even ringing NZ from my iPhone is cheap, 3c per minute.

Cheers

Grant

The downside here though is that when you receive calls and texts they are counted against your monthly allocation of minutes or texts

In saying that though we have the cheapest AT&T family plan and we have never got anywhere near our allcation of either and our rollover minutes are up over 4000