Sign in to follow this  
martyyn

Help me find a new car

First off it has to be something I can 'drive'....I want some fun, I want a manual (although I will no doubt contradict myself later).

I do minimal mileage during the week so I want to make it worth while. I also may at some point need to get a couple of kids in the back, but thats not what I want the car for.

Budget is going to be 5-6k, not a lot but I reckon I can have a finished article for that. It can be something needing a little TLC, with new wheels, suspension, interior etc, or I could blow the lot on the finished article. Its going to be my daily driver too so it has to be something I can put up with over the winter.

So what do I get?

Im torn between the cracking good looks of an mtech kitted e28, the solidity of an mtech kitted e34 (especially with Brents red interior), the ooomph of an e32 750, the coolness of an e30 m325 or even an e30 318is, or the retro feel of an e23.

I drove a friends e36 328 manual a while ago and thought it was great, needed a few minor tweaks but overall not bad, I just dont know if I can get used to the exterior as Im not a huge fan of the e36.

If its an e30 then it cant have a sunroof (I need the headroom) and would have to be a coupe. Id love a kitted e28 m535 with polished BBS' but I doubt they are in my budget. Id quite enjoy an e34 black 535is, Brents red recaros, lowered with 17' Alpinas....but whats the chance of finding the Alpinas ?

But there is nothing fitting the bill out there at the moment. So do I take an old 318 and wait until something comes up?

It would need to be either black, lach silver or red. I dont want another light silver car there are too many of them.

e34's just seem so cheap at the moment, e32's even more so but finding one thats been looked after could be tricky. m325's are probably just out of my budget and I havent seen a 318is available for a long time.

So has anyone seen anything, know of anything thats not on trademe or autotrader ?

[e] or do I find an e30 shell somewhere and stick a 328 into it :ph34r:

Edited by Penry

Mine needs a new home, and a 328 in it... Do it? Haha.

Or buy something else and save the 328 motor for me for 6 months and I will buy it off you ^_^ to put in my e30. Would definitely buy it then, and you wouldn't have to ship it anywhere ;)

I vote e34, as the prices of those 540i's that have been advertised around here, is some bargains to be had :)

Yea its gotta be e34 they are just such good value. 535 manuals aren't hard to come by from what I remember - you shouldn't have to wait long enough for one to necessitate buying another fill in car.

Not interested in a 2002?

Good luck by the way.

Would aim for a 535i.

Does it need to be a BMW? If so, I'd vote for a E30 318is

A Peugeot 205GTI / 306XSI could be a fun daily driver.

I would also look at an Alfa. Get yourself a nice 33 QV and you could race it in the Trofeo series in the weekends!

You could even get a slightly rough 206 gti for that much... 

There is a wine red 306 xsi at the turners car autions in TGA going for 1500 - 2200 at the moment. Needs handbrake adjustment and new rear pads for a WOF supposably... 

e34's are just so cheap these days they are hard to go past at the moment. I havent seen a decent manual 535 for a while though so I may need an interim car.

2002 is probably a weekend car rather than a daily, my wife would love it though, she has always wanted one for herself ! But again are there any nice ones in my budget ?

The last time I went out for a 205gti I came home with a 750iL, not at all what my wife was expecting, but what a car !

It doesnt have to be a BMW but they are what I know, a hot hatch is tempting and I had a turbo'd 406 in England and loved it. Nearly bought a 306xsi, but there is not a lot of space in one of those for me.

how about my 1990 e34 535i B10 3.5 replica 75km on the clock, 5spd ,LSD, good suspension , 17" alpina's 8.5" front 10" rear . mint leather ,extended leather console etc .

a bit more than $6k though

post-279-1244060295_thumb.jpg

Guest Simon*

how about my 1990 e34 535i B10 3.5 replica 75km on the clock, 5spd ,LSD, good suspension , 17" alpina's 8.5" front 10" rear . mint leather ,extended leather console etc .

a bit more than $6k though

Awesome!

It's all done Martyn :)

It's all done Martyn :)

Sorry mate, 6k is absolute tops, all done, finished, nothing more to spend, wife will have my kneecaps if I spend more.

Wouldve been dead keen though :D

Just a quick search ;)

1. Probably out of price bracket slightly, but ultra cool minus tail lights and is local :)http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-220045332.htm (pretty sure its the same one that was posted up awhile back).

2. http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-222354361.htm (probably could go offer lower, has been on for a while, not a coupe but could sell any goodies you didn't want for a bit of cash back, sadly is in CHCH).

Edited by Forrest

How much more ? :ph34r:

dont know havn't realy thought of selling it , maybe $8-9k , its a pretty low k car .feels like new to drive , very tight , all the dash lights are brighter than most i have owned etc .

and what would i replace it with???

another slushy e34 540i auto!!!!

or a e39 540i that i can throw loads of money into it just keeping it going . :wacko:

or maybe a e39 528i 530i touring any manual ones about that dont handle like a boat?? :blink:

X5 <_<

i think a e34 540i touring with a 6spd would be nice (and with mtec suspension) :D

looks like i will have to make a car to be satisfied

Edited by Brent HARTGE535i

Penry, what about this, my bad if your not a ford fan, but if I had the cash I would buy this is a heartbeat, hot hatch (ish), low ish miles, rare in NZ, low price, well under 6k, looks pretty well maintained, manual etc etc

DO WANT.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-220892126.htm

if only this was a manual.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-222488716.htm

Posted Image

whats wrong with people when they buy a new bmw ,

"Yes i'll have all the goodies to make it go faster , and please dont let me change my own gears" :angry:

Brent....

I think weve been here before Brent with your Alpina ;) I appreciate it has low km's and all that but with 535's going for 3-4k, I couldnt justify another 5-6k for wheels, a front spoiler and some stripes.

Come down to 6k and we can talk :)

I imagine the 530d is going to be a little out of my budget.

Forest....

Ive done my dash in 80's Ford's thanks mate.

Nostra....

Touring looks the business but doesnt stir the blood enough for me.

Palazzo....

I know nothing about Lancia other than knowing its going to have 80's Italian electronics !

To posh to push Brent <_<

Have been looking at E60’s on UK EBay, quite a few Manual options over there including Manual 545i,550i and the king hitting 535d.

Adrian, the guy we just brought our Renault off has just got himself a Manual 135i, he tells us it one of only two manual 135i’s in NZ, he has had to wait a few weeks for his to be built and the other was a mix up in the ordering.

Admittedly the electronics could be a concern, but it's different, quick and cheap. plenty of money spent too, which is encouraging.

A 535i manual is prob your best bet at current prices. I do know of a decent E32 735il, but not much of a fun car.

1. Probably out of price bracket slightly, but ultra cool minus tail lights and is local :)http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-220045332.htm (pretty sure its the same one that was posted up awhile back).

He had it for 10k last week.

Dunno if I would touch it tho. First time I saw it was a coupla days/week after it arrived in Kapiti (2 months ago?) and it was at an auto-sparky my father-in-law uses.... with the ECU sitting on the head and wires everywhere.

Checked it out on carjam at the time because I had seen it on TM before but this time it had a personalised plate.

Brent....

I think weve been here before Brent with your Alpina ;) I appreciate it has low km's and all that but with 535's going for 3-4k, I couldnt justify another 5-6k for wheels, a front spoiler and some stripes.

Come down to 6k and we can talk :)

I imagine the 530d is going to be a little out of my budget.

Forest....

Ive done my dash in 80's Ford's thanks mate.

Nostra....

Touring looks the business but doesnt stir the blood enough for me.

Palazzo....

I know nothing about Lancia other than knowing its going to have 80's Italian electronics !

Martyn

Check out the red 318is on TM at the moment - perfect for racing around Welly.