Sign in to follow this  
*Glenn*

WOW! Amazing

Just done a huge workshop computer & software upgrade. Amazing what a few thousand gigs and $$$$$$ do.

Weve gone from a 50gig office computer with 512 ram and 19" screen to a 500gig, 4gig ram & 22 inch full HD screen with a further 500gig external hard drive.

The workshop has gone from a small 30gig laptop to a 250gig 2gig ram desktop with 20" screen with a further 500gig external hard drive

We have also thrown our Bosch KTS 520 scanner into a cardboard box with the small laptop (its all for sale) and now have the very latest bluetooth scanner & 150gig of TIS,ETK & WDS etc software systems for vehicles 1984-2009

Both new computers & scanner are sharing data via wireless & bluetooth

What a difference :D I'm rapped ... no more freezes or crashes :o .....and the speed is amazing

Ive spent a whole week on this, including all of last weekend building the new workstation in the workshop.

This WE I'm having a rest & a few beers :rolleyes:

Edited by *Glenn*

How much you want for the laptop? Does it have wireless?

How much you want for the laptop? Does it have wireless?

Yes it has wireless... but , idealy I want to sell it with the Bosch KTS which it is all set up to

No worries mate. I'm not even really looking, but I know KT is after a cheapie.

Well done, love new work toys.. I recently upgraded my system and you find yourself asking why didn’t I do this sooner…then you get sent an invoice and remember!

Well done, love new work toys.. I recently upgraded my system and you find yourself asking why didn’t I do this sooner…then you get sent an invoice and remember!

Tell me about it..... my bills over $16,000 at the moment

Tell me about it..... my bills over $16,000 at the moment

Tis expensive, But new toys are grate.

Tis expensive, But new toys are grate.

The new scanner was the most expensive item

Fantastic that you've got all the new gear Glenn!

Its been due for some time.... theres so much crap on the market...being sold by idiots

And who said there is a recession :lol:

We've been busyer since this so called recession started

People must be servicing and repairing their cars rather than buying new ones. haha

or ... they have been skimping on maintenance to save money and ending up coming in for repairs when they realise they can't get to work without the car!

That's because people are keeping their old car and maintaining them rather than buying a new one.

If you want to see a recession in the car industry, take a drive around your local dealers and see how many have closed shop.

As I said to you yesterday Glenn, my income has taken a nosedive over the last few weeks, and in fact over the last month my oncome has dropped to about an eighth of what it normally is.

Phew, that makes me glad to be working for a large company.

Phew, that makes me glad to be working for a large company.

What if you worked for GM ??

Then I would be well and truely screwed! I read that GM closing down was going to affect a ridiculous amount of people.

Not only people employed by GM. But also people who work for companies employed by GM, and people who work for companies employed by companies employed by GM.

And the lunch bars that feed the employees and employees of employees of GM etc etc

Something silly like a third or Americans will be affected in some way.

It's not just Americans mate, without exports into the USA under the Pontiac brand the whole future of Holden is looking decidedly shaky.

And my biggest customer is..... (drum roll)..... HOLDEN! So it's going to come closer to home than you think, and who knows where it will end.

Back on topic, good stuff Glenn, its great you can appreciate the improvements already, nothing like coughing up on new IT, all the pain of putting it in, and it gives more problems than it solves.

The reason you are probably busier now, is that when people are watching the pennies they start to appreciate good service more, long may it continue.

Yup - what Jon said. When GM gets a cold, the entire supply chain sneezes.

Most people would be surprised to know what the car companies actually manufacture themselves - bodywork and sometimes the engine (Volkswagen are the obvious exception). And how reliant on the 'promised' sales volumes to recoup the cost of tooling the suppliers really are - it is cutthroat. I am glad I am out of that industry for the moment (the positive side is that the scale and technology is simply awesome in the auto industry - and I miss that bit).

New IT is a great feeling when it all goes well. I know - I just put $80k worth of new servers in (and finally got them all running sweetly this afternoon). And that's the cheap part of my project ;)

does that mean that you can do software updates etc Glenn on the newer cars?

Its been due for some time.... theres so much crap on the market...being sold by idiots

The worst bit is in two years time that your system is going out of date once again :P

And my biggest customer is..... (drum roll)..... HOLDEN! So it's going to come closer to home than you think, and who knows where it will end.

I was talking to someone the other day about the whole Holden side of things, they said that the Australian Government wont let Holden go under. Apparantly the entirety of the Commodore VE V6's are made in Australian factorys, motor and all... Something like 1 Billion dollars was spent incorporating all the machinery and systems to produce the VE V6 Commodores.. maybe they will start to produce their own V8 Powerplants also. Now theres an expensive automotive computer system for ya!

does that mean that you can do software updates etc Glenn on the newer cars?

Yes....so long as we can continue to get the updates

The worst bit is in two years time that your system is going out of date once again :P

Not as far as software goes.. updates are done via the internet. The hardware is fairly future proof as far as capacity and speed goes.. will see me out I'm sure

Sounds like you've got yourslef a good set up there Glenn, shame you aren't a little bit closer to Palmy or I would be using your services frequently.

To avoid going of off topic on GM I will start a new thread.

Not as far as software goes.. updates are done via the internet. The hardware is fairly future proof as far as capacity and speed goes.. will see me out I'm sure

Oh yea well thats always promising ;) Must be good to be upto speed, its funny when you go back to an old computer that someone may have its sooo frustrating!