Sign in to follow this  
Random Guy

What to do first, advice please.

Can I get some advice on weather I should lower my 87 E30 320i by doing the shocks and springs over my 14 inch bottle caps or should I get my 17s first and then lower the car. Should I sort the handling first or wheels.

(drivers side front shock is a bit bouncy at the moment)

Thanks.

If it was me I would get the shocks sorted out first. You will be amazed how much better the car will drive. Obviously it will be a lot safer as well!

Yer i agree i would rather have a nice handling e30 on 14's instead of one on 17's that is a bit bouncy.. Thats my opinion.. But if you find some cheap 17's why not ?

springs and shocks first, cars with bigger rims that aren't lowered look a bit funky, well worse than a lowered car with little wheels anyway

always shocks first , then wheels maybe 15" or 16" then springs.

but you might as well do shocks and springs at the same time

O.K so shocks first, thanks guys. Has anyone got a decent set for sale. Everyone seems to be recommending H&Rs with Bilstiens but these seen to be about a $1500 package plus fitting. At the moment that a bit high for me.

Monroes are not popular on this forum but does anyone recommend a set that sits in the middle somewhere.

Car is 87 320i coupe.

Thanks

i have a set from a 90 320i . jamex springs with munroe shocks. used but pretty new on the car before they crashed it .

i think any shocks that are new are a improvement on 20year old shocks .

$500 the complete kit

the overall diameter of the tyres is supposed to be the same ,but obviusly when you lower a car/run wider wheels/tyres you may run into other fitment issues.

Boge turbos are an alternative cheaper shock to the billies. Ask Apex about it he recommends them.

Save up. Do it once do it right. Speaking from personal experience here. It's so worth getting the right shocks/springs.

Definitely do the suspension first - as Mike said, large wheels on stock ride height looks like arse. Lowered on stock rims can be pulled off.

17's can work (I have them), but I would definitely prefer a really sick set of 16's than 17's.

I would recommend shocks and springs first.

Hard to recommend a shock, its dependant on what you want to achieve and what your budget is, its all well and good to fork out $800 for a set of front shocks but what’s the point if you are going low purley for aesthetics and don’t give a sh*t about aggressive driving.

I have a front pair of Billstein’s I was going to list on TM next week, they cost me $150 so that’s all I want for them, they are just a factory Motorsport shock, I have had them bench dynode and leak tested both coming back in top notch. They need the caps (not sure of the proper terminology) that hold the shock in the strut.

Flick us a PM if you’re keen.

Edited by Apex