Sign in to follow this  
turbolizard

Stretched Tyres

Having stretched tyres ain't so great.

I have them, to the extreme, and it's a constant pain in the ass. Everytime I hit a huge pothole or raise in the road, usually going 100km/h or particularly through road works in town, it hits the actual rim. I have little marks from it, and the chrome is getting affected (chipping off).

Haha, I remember on the anzac day cruise, someone asking me if my tyres were flat. Uhhhh nope.

I put 40psi in my tyres. It's what i've been advised to put in. Grrr.

There's pretty solid evidence that having the rim rubbing on the sidewall (like on the pic on the right) is stupid.

While I've never personally run tyres outside the recommended rim width, I've used plenty AT the recommended width, which looks a bit stretched.

Having stretched tyres ain't so great.

I have them, to the extreme, and it's a constant pain in the ass. Everytime I hit a huge pothole or raise in the road, usually going 100km/h or particularly through road works in town, it hits the actual rim. I have little marks from it, and the chrome is getting affected (chipping off).

Haha, I remember on the anzac day cruise, someone asking me if my tyres were flat. Uhhhh nope.

I put 40psi in my tyres. It's what i've been advised to put in. Grrr.

Can you please post up a pic just to clarify a misunderstanding as i don't think you would have stretched tires to the extreme, i think you may just have really low profile not stretched tires.

Can you please post up a pic just to clarify a misunderstanding as i don't think you would have stretched tires to the extreme, i think you may just have really low profile not stretched tires.

Alright. Low profile and stretched. I think they are stretched, as the tyres don't even cover the lip of the rim at all.

Will post up a pic tomorrow.

Edited by lady525

Alright. Low profile and stretched. I think they are stretched, as the tyres don't even cover the lip of the rim at all.

Will post up a pic tomorrow.

DW sussed it myself, haha

Posted Image

How do you stretch a tyre with a profile as low as that? Lolol.

Posted Image

Yesplz.

Now thats stretch, omgyesplz.

How do you stretch a tyre with a profile as low as that? Lolol.

Now thats stretch, omgyesplz.

Mines lower profile than that!!

But you have 20's. You need bigger tyres or a way lower spring to fill out the gaurds. Personally I would go with the drop :D

Mines lower profile than that!!

Thats your main problem ..

As Hybrid says Emily thats your problem, the lower the profile the less amount of air & tyre side wall between the road and your wheels. When you hit harsh bumps in the road the tyre has less room to compress and the more likely you are to damage your rims and you feel the bumps a whole lot more.

However if you have mad stretch but a rather high profile tyre (like on my current rear wheels) there is still alot of room between the road and the rim ;)

Josh, mostly its fuh raze. I was generalising to explain the popularity. Of course there are exceptions. Just like massive spoilers on street vehicles are usually fuh raze, but there are plenty of out and out motorsport cars with huge spoilers, and the odd street car that hits the track at speeds high enough to actually make it worth while. Don't take my comments to mean that EVERY car running stretch is posing.

Besides, I love it, and when I find the right set of 16's for the e30 will be running stretch, posing or not.