Sign in to follow this  
turbolizard

Stretched Tyres

Can someone explain why strectched tyres are so popular? I'm not trying to bag anyones look, I'm just curious - to me the look and performance of the car would be better with the same tyres and narrower rims.

Most appearance modifications are based in performance. For example, spoilers, lowering etc are based on mods that increase race car performance, even if the actual performance on a road car makes only a cosmetic difference.

Wide wheels are a racing derived appearance modification but very stretched tyres are not normal on race cars and it is detrimental to performance.

Is the aim just to get the biggest possible rim lip on the car and too bad about the tyres, or is it a cool look all in itself?

As I said at the start - I just don't get it and I have been a car enthusiat for many years - I know this means I'm now old as.

Purely for look, No performance benefits in running stretch tyres.

Each to their own, I think they look badass.

Edit: Take that back, Increased sidewall stiffness..

Edited by E30ONP

Read somewhere that it began in Europe as a result of laws which limited how far the tyres could stick out past the car fender, so people started stretching as much as they could to maximise the rim width they could use.

And I guess it's now popular as it's considered the 'euro' look.

Could also be based on economics ... "I spent heaps on wheels with nice polished rims...but cant afford tyres"

Stretched tyres are common in the drifting scene. Perhaps less traction is needed, and a stretched tyre provides that?

I like look of stretched tyres somewhat, however I personally wouldn't run them on a car I owned.

Its really popular now because you can fit large wheels with flush offsets at low ride heights.

Its not new. Has been around for ages.

Like 1970's ages..

God damn new fan-dangled kids and they're sticky-outy wheels. :lol:

/Edit.

In terms of performance - You get increased sidewall stiffness which is good for drifting. Of course you've got the entire scale and some streach is just crazytittys.

Local NZ drift car with perfect fitment.

Posted Image

Edited by Mattzy

Ive used stretched 225/45/16s on 9inch rims on the track with no discernible difference noticed over the same sized tires on 7.5inch rims. Stretching tires is perfectly safe to a point, and the look is very good in my opinion

Interwebs theory (consider this a disclaimer) goes that:

Stretching in theory would reduce the ability of a tyre to cope with rough surfaces or small undulations. The modulation needed would be too fast for the shock, etc to handle adequately - leaving the tyre to handle the rest. I.E. it is easier to move a bit of rubber with compliance than the entire unsprung of a car. Inertia is related to weight, so the entire unsprung would be heavier, and harder to move than the contact patch of the tyre under pressure - so the tyre can react faster = more grip.

I'm not sure what the effects are in practice. I have 205's toyo proxes on 8's for the rear, and it's less composed than 205 on 7 in Bridgestone G3's. I can't tell whether it's the stretch or the tyre.

Mind you, I have driven 225 RE001's on 8's and 6.5" extensively, and they go a lot better on the 8"s. So it can be detrimental as well, not having enough width?

Its not new. Has been around for ages.

Like 1970's ages..

Back in the day, my dad used to use 175's on a 13x7...on his brand new datsun 1200 :lol: He still thinks rims should be wider than the tyre. Direct quote - "to make it less wiggly when you're racing it in the twisties".

9/10 times you see a car on the street with stretched tyres is purely cosmetics.

As said in this post and others. Many of the guys in the drift scene have stretched tyres to stiffen the sidewalls. But they are not like that to create less traction. Drifters want as much traction as possible. Reason being is you need a heap of speed to keep it smooth and give you more control. No traction means no speed. This is why they use brand new tyres nearly every round at an event in top level drifting.

It is however dangerous on the streets. And tyres will quite often roll off the rim. But that is in the more extreme stretched cases. I have 205/50/15's on a 8" rim. But it is just a subtle stretch. And mainly so I can fit the +0 offset rims on the car.

After many years with mild stretch (265 on 9.5 inch rims) They do indeed handle better than none stretched tires on the street. The side wall is stiffer on harder cornering. The tires are more predictible than flat tire wall versions because there is no grey area in the give. You get near 0 rubber banding around corners.

Other benefits are when you run agressive offsets and have pumped your gaurds all you can without major body work. A mild amount of sretching can help with this.

Now, Im not saying this is good for the tires. I change my tires to a new set every year so the inside of the tire wall is in good nick, But I have seen heating of the wall in extreme conditions which causes delamination of the inner casing which in turn will just weaken the tire wall and cause worse handling. This hasn't happened to me as my stretch is which in parameters of the tires specs.

Stretching to silly sizes is pure cosmetics and increases potential damage to the tire under extreme loadings. You are a lot more likely to damage your rims from rocks and other debris. The extreme stretch is more a show car thing and isn't at all practical for every day use.

The common misconception is that your tires can at anypoint come off the bead. This is mostly incoreect unless youre:

* Running under rated tire pressures EG: 30 below PSI on a 30 profile tire

* Running an insane stretch and dont have the tire pressure to support it + bead lock paste.

I run my pressures around 36psi and higher for harder driving.

F1 cars used to run stretched tyres..

I think it looks cool and would rock them if I dint like back roads and gravel.

If NZ was smooth I would have the waggon on the ground with 10" wheels.

proof?

Google?

And formula 5000 were (are) into it.

God the 70's were ace for motorsport!

*batman tune* Nananananananananana Nurburg, Nurburg.

Posted Image

(F1 late 60's)

Posted Image

(Formula 5000 mid 70's)

Lawl I'm too slow

Edited by Pjay

Disclaimer: More internet talkz

I'm not sure those count as "stretching" even if they look stretched. They were probably designed to run on that width of wheel? I know kart slicks certainly "look" stretched even if they're just being run on the rim they're designed for.

For example, it'd be like comparing a skinny 205/50R15 like a Falken on a 7.5 to a "fat" Hoosier 205/50R15 on a 9. They'd both look to have about the same amount of stretch, but one is probably more prone to failing because of operating outside it's design parameters?

Don’t be silly, F1 teams don’t just go and design custom tires for their cars, they get them at the same place as you and I, I saw Kazuki Nakajima getting a wheel alignment at Takanini Firestone Direct just the other day.

Yea, it’s always funny to throw the old “F1 Cars used to run them†comment into the mix :P

No sports I can think of run stretched tyres these days.

Drifting... Check Mattzys earlier post.

I've been holding off replying to this, since its not like I know.

I would however note that tyres have a recommended rim width, including race tyres, and presumably the tyre companies know what they're talking about. It doesn't suggest mean stretch ow.

Yea, it’s always funny to throw the old “F1 Cars used to run them†comment into the mix :P

I think bait has been eatededed :ph34r:

Btw, no sports in my small knowledge has ever run tyres outside their parameters for the better - apart from drifting?

Drifting... Check Mattzys earlier post.

That's a can of worms if there ever was one. It's weird to think that point scoring is entirely subjective. This is opposed to time, distance based "sports". Even freestyle sports have acheivement levels - e.g. 360 > 180, etc.

Meh, perhaps, it's better compared to formed based sports like ballroom dancing, etc

Anyways, assuming drifting is a sport - their stretched tyres don't last very long/don't have to stay on the rim for very long compared to a daily driven vehicle.

That said, I haven't actually seen any tyres, stretched or not, leaving the bead before.

there is alot of debate about this on forums in the US etc ..

some like and some hate , just like everything

its purely for the stance (look of the car )

its the whole slammed , stretch tyre thing going on personaly i think it looks sick!

post-2552-1245028570_thumb.jpg

post-2552-1245028595_thumb.jpg

excuse the vws couldnt stufed searchin for bmw pix at work :P

That's the point though isn't it?

- it looks cool, but not everyone thinks so

- anyone thinking it has performance benefits (when super-stretched) is skating on thin ice

- pretending it has performance benefits, when 99.99% of the decision making process was "it looks hawt", is just being dishonest?

from what ive been reading its purely looks

and most of the cars either have adjustables or bags..it would be hella dangerous if you got compressed springs or something like that that low etc