Sign in to follow this  
turbolizard

Stretched Tyres

ive had a 165/50R15 hop off the bead of a 8inch rim when i went over a very slight bump in the road ended up buckling my rim.

So .. this is a very varible arguement with a lot of misnomas.

Super stretch has people claiming it has perfomance benefits when really its just hammering the tire wall and bending it beyound what it was designed to do. Its not something you would do for everyday road use.

Mild stretch this can be the oppersite. It infact does have very real benefits to flat wall and can help with running agressive offsets which mean slightly wider trac. anywhich way its looked at has slightly increased performance benefits as long as both front and rear wheels run the same setup.

The down side to all of this is your rims are exposed to curbing and more than ever NZ's crap roads.

ive had a 165/50R15 hop off the bead of a 8inch rim when i went over a very slight bump in the road ended up buckling my rim.

You need to increase your tires pressure to around 36psi minimum else this will happen. You cant run around on 32 PSI and expect your tire to keep shape. Its even worse in the wet around a sharp corner.

this is what I would put at the very limit of mild strecthing. mine is a lot more tame than this.

Posted Image

You need to increase your tires pressure to around 36psi minimum else this will happen. You cant run around on 32 PSI and expect your tire to keep shape. Its even worse in the wet around a sharp corner.

yeap i realise this but it still hapened with 42psi in the tyres to get max inflation and pressure on the bead. but it was far to much stretch and just poped off.

beadlock and tubes. that would fall into the catagory of super stretched.

Hah starting to sound like a 4x4 forum. Beadlockers, tubes, [and running 3PSI].

Stretch is definitely for looks mainly. It's just fuh raze. Some had semi-legit reasons for doing it - ie wide wheels with tread still within the guards to comply with local laws - but again, the only reason was to run super-wide wheels for the look.

Others have just copied the stretch as it looks cool.

I love it. Others hate it. That's the whole point.

What would you know Ashy? ;) Haha

Btw, no sports in my small knowledge has ever run tyres outside their parameters for the better - apart from drifting?

That's a can of worms if there ever was one. It's weird to think that point scoring is entirely subjective. This is opposed to time, distance based "sports". Even freestyle sports have acheivement levels - e.g. 360 > 180, etc.

Meh, perhaps, it's better compared to formed based sports like ballroom dancing, etc

Anyways, assuming drifting is a sport

Its like the Figureskating of motorsport. They do it to music, they do some crazy sh*t, and it doesnt make sense to anyone outside of the competitors.

At the end of the day, its all a tad pointless.. God I love it though :lol:

Beauty in the eye..

Posted Image

And back on topic!

^^ DRIFTING

You're doing it wrong

Haha no I believe thats called "hitting the clipping point" Except hes doing it quite literally!

Guest Simon*

Haha no I believe thats called "hitting the clipping point" Except hes doing it quite literally!

He's hitting the something all right - ain't much clipping going on though, I'd call it "munching point"

Besides you only have to look at the passenger and his deathgrip on that handle to see somefink ain't right ;)

That bbs wheel with the stretched tyre looks stupid.

Haha you guys are awesome.90% of the "omgIwantsosexy" E30's I've seen posted on here run low and run stretch.You see an E30 on BBS rims with euro plates and your unloading one on the keyboard... Then as soon as someone says stretch its bring on the hate-train!?Loco!  :wacko:I am the greatest! Eagerly awaiting reponse. Put your happy-tissues down first boys  :lol: Edited by M3 Cab

These look stupid?

God I can hear them from here..

Meat hammers and all...

Haha :lol:

In response, I think it can be pretty much summed up by my earlier reply.

Dish became very popular. The wider the rim, the more dish, but if your rims go too wide, your tyres stick out past the guard, even with a certain amount of flaring and rolling. Many jurisdictions (nz included) prohibit the tyre tread from protruding past the guards, but its OK if the sidewalls and rims do. So guys who wanted to "show off" with the widest wheels would stretch the tyres to get around the laws.

As these cars were generally highly modified cars in top condition, the natural trend is to copy for no other reason than to look the same.

Couple that with a few drifters doing it for the above reasons, and half the car-modifying world follows suit.

Sure there are other possible explanations, but this is the most likely one to explain the high popularity of the trend.

I dont get it ... what do you call this then ? stretched yes ... for looks yes it looks good. do these tires widths add performance .. yes.. far more than people realise. so is it Fu Raze ... I think not.

Posted Image

265s (you mentioned in a previous thread) are supposed to go on a roughly 9.0 - 10.5" rim depending on profile, so chances are its not really stretched.

195s are not supposed to go on a 9" rim. That's wrong (although arguable looks pretty mint).

My point is before people knock it with out actually driving on it and making calls of It doesnt perform or detracts from a cars performace shouldn't really be posting on things they haven't experienced. Lumping streching as this big bad thing is plainly wrong and Im saying its a variable topic that people shouldnt jump to conclusions on.

My only gripe with this whole thread.

there is (like usual) a lot of BS being posted here.

My rather philosophical point is that just coz it looks a bit stretched doesn't mean it is, and (more importantly) that tyre manufacturers have recommendations ... that matter.

There's no solid evidence to actually say stretching is evil.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Yesplz.