Sign in to follow this  
martyyn

Is anyone else as daft as me ?

Nearly two years ago I bought an e28 rear tech1 spoiler because I thought I was looking to buy an e28 in the near future. I bought a set of 16' Alpinas for an e30 at around the same time. They sat in the garage for months 'just in case' but in the end it worked out for the best because I bought a 325 instead.

I bought my current 18' Alpinas before I had the touring, but I knew it was the wheel I wanted if I ever did get an e39 and even though I did get one they sat in the garage for months waiting to be put on.

Ive bought several little bits for the touring and never fitted them, a genuine alarm is still in the box Nick sent it to me in, completely untouched, a ciggie lighter power adapter that I wanted to fit in the boot hasnt been removed from the ebay packaging either, I finally got around to selling a PDC kit I bought and never used a few months ago but that sat in the garage for over two years before I got around to it.

Some things dont hang about though. I fitted my angel eye headlights in the dark within 15 minutes of me getting home, torch in my mouth to see what I was doing. I shot out of work one day at lunch time to sand an e30 tech1 wing I wanted it on the car so badly.

So roll on to today and Ive just bought an e30 Alpina rear wing*......I sold the e30 over a year ago and dont fit into them too well so its unlikely (although not impossible) that I will ever buy another. I sold the alloys too so cant even get back to building a C2 replica if I wanted to so I dont really know why I bought it, but it was cheap and local so I did.

Anyone else buy things they dont need....just because they like them and they are there, or even under the delusion that maybe one day they will buy a car to fit them too?

* and if anyone tells the wife.....Im looking at you Mssrs Price and Marks.....I will be removing kneecaps.

[e] the e28 wing is still in the garage....just in case.

Edited by Penry

Do that all the time Martyn!

Haha, I thought it was just me. Eyelids, that alarm I sold you. Got a M sport sway bar down in the garage I bought a year before I got the 36, have had the e36 for a year and its still sitting in the garage!

I tend it do it with other things as well as car stuff.

If things are being sold soo cheap you feel obligated to take them off their hands!

Yeah definitely. Usually Audio gear though. I have stocks of subs, amps, speakers, crossovers I will most likely never use. But because nobody makes them as good as they used to, or the good stuff is now too expensive to justify. I keep an eye out for goodies.

Car wise, I always buy little things I think I'll use if I see them cheap. Like brake pads, rotors, oil, multitudes of oil filters (Still have some from my old toyotas, mazdas, one for the bx) But I keep them all JUST in case I ever happen to buy a toyota corona, or citroen bx ever again. Which I doubt

My poor mothers basement is full of my junk. She tries to throw things out, but I'm always saying NO WAIT! I can use that!

I never use that

What does an Alpina rear wing look like?

I don't really think I'm that bad.

But at one point I had four different fronts for for my E30 (2x PFL lips and valences, FL Valence, and tech1 kit) sitting in the garage 'cos I liked them. Have a small collection of rear wings as well.

I'm on my 8th set of wheels in the last 12 months, some of them never even made it on the car. Possibly excessive/unnecessary.

A lot of the stuff that did make it onto the track hack were the result of don't-need-but-want. Coilovers, pimp seats, LSD, etc. In fact, I don't need a track hack.

CamB is worse...he hoards enough spare bits to be a works team. :ph34r:

My problem Martyn is that it seems to be cars, not bits, that I buy.Posted Image

Have 6 x E28's now, and still have one to pick up that I've paid for, so that will be 7. Bought an E23 for the motor, have 5 x E30's, for parts and as race cars, and 2 x E36's for my girls. Good thing I've got a bit of space at home, but extra lucky to have an understanding wife.Posted Image

Can't seem to say no when people ring up and tell me they have a car I can have for next to nothing, Wonder if there's a pill I can take to cure me?Posted Image

So glad to hear I'm not alone. :ph34r: Does this mean we can't complain about the missus having too many pairs of shoes?

Does this mean we can't complain about the missus having too many pairs of shoes?

Yes, this was clarified when it became apparent that I had bought more wheels than she had shoes in the last 12 months.

But I can always on-sell wheels B)

Just remembered Ive got a set of comfort seats from an e38 that need a few switches and installing. Had those for four months gathering dust !!!

yep - full mtech 2 kit, 4 15" basket weaves, 6speed M3 Evo gear box, 5 spd ZF box (which I still have), E36 M3 steering rack and driveshaft, mtech 2 wheel. All sitting under my stairs doing nothing for a year. Rock n roll

What does an Alpina rear wing look like?

post-116-1245129418_thumb.jpg

Its a lot like a tech1 wing but much thicker around the 'edge'. It has more of an angle from the boot to the edge of the lip if you know what I mean.

Still have bits from my E36 laying around in the garage. Bought various parts for the E30 that I haven't got around to installing yet (stereo, badges, interior trim etc etc).

I've also pulled things apart that I haven't bought replacement parts for too! There's a taped hole where the aerial was, also have pulled most of my dash to bits to replace the OBC lights and heater controls etc. I think I'm just lazy really! :)

I just bought an E30 LSD centre today.

Will buy an E30 at some point :D

Before anyone asks, NO it is not for sale.Ever.

CamB is worse...he hoards enough spare bits to be a works team. :ph34r:

I'm not that bad.

Specific to what Penry says, I do have a set of 16x7.5 ACS in 4x100 and a 3.73 LSD "for the day" when I get an E30 project. And a Holset turbo, and an Audi wastegate.

I also temporarily have too many LSDs (ahem, 4x incl the one above) and far more M10 gearboxes than I could ever use. And a set of 4 cylinder Nissan individual throttle bodies I'll never use. And a set of Dellorto 45s on an M10 manifold I'll probably never use. Of course I have a few boxes of "stuff" that isn't worth throwing away, mostly off a M10 engines. And a mechanically injected M10 which I should sell.

Interestingly, I have no sets of wheels which fit the 2002...

Those e28 mtech spoilers fit e30s by the way ;) they just go over the boot a little but still look great

there is a set of rally tires in my garage. dont know what car they will ever go on. or if i will ever use them

Hi, my names Andy and I hoard bits for my car too... [Hi Andy]

Oh thank god, I thought it was just me! lol

For the Curren I have clear indicators, rear spoiler caps (rare), monsoon visors (very rare), and a TRD exhaust (not made any more), all in boxes waiting to be put on the car...

... and then I bought an E34 with added rust as an option, so now I have another project. I don't think they make a box big enough to put an E34 in, so I'd better finish this one!

Got some ground control / eibach coilovers, an acs rear apron, and a bloody e30 323i that I bought just cause they were all cheap.

Have filled my garage with E30 parts. Everytime I visit Ray at Hell BM I end up with more parts. None of which I have put on the car.

I always seem to start projects that I then loose interest in but never sell. I have to keep the series car at a mates house because it doesn't fit at home. Have started to fill his garage with bits too.

I purchased and collected a heap of parts for my seires car thinking sh*t will break all the time. Have not needed to replace anything on that car to date other than brake pads.

I'm pricing up a shipping container because the sheds are full. Note plural on the sheds (6). Says it all really. And I have very little "junk" too. Most of it is good cond. sorted and labelled bits. (and/or whole cars - 2x Daihatsu Ruggers, a Landrover, 2x e30's, an Mr2, and Ford Courier, plus as I share sheds with the old man, 1x Jeep, 1x Volkswagen Bettle (for sale), 2x vans, 1x mitsi L200, 1x Toyota Landcruiser, another e30 cabby, a Datsun Cherry, and a Toyota Corolla)

On that note, anyone know where I can get a good price on 2x excellent nick 20ft containers, preferrably high cube, and MUST be water proof?

And anyone want a Volkswagen Beetle?? Needs to be revinned as rego lapsed, but price would reflect this. Mechanically perfect - starts, runs and drives like a swiss watch....

On that note, anyone know where I can get a good price on 2x excellent nick 20ft containers, preferrably high cube, and MUST be water proof?

20ft HC containers are very hard to find, you are probably best to look for a 40ft HC. That extra 3ft of room really does make a huge amount of difference.

You can NEVER, EVER have too many spares, or projects, or parts to fit, FACT! When I left the UK I had garages full of car bits that I got rid of on eBay, plus bits I brought over with me (which are still in the shipping boxes :D ).

Now with the race car, and the intention of smartening up the 'vert I am collecting parts (and cars at a reasonable rate) now in need of more room, even though I have a double garage, a shed and a big drive. Currently talking to a builder about adding another double garage on the section (why did I let the Mrs talk me out of a lifestyle with loads of sheds??).

I have a brand new, Genuine BMW chrome rear bumper end which I bought as it was cheap, but is still in the packing as I don't want to fit it to the car so it gets dirty :lol:

Buying bits before you get the car is Ok, you have to buy things when they come up, you can never find things at all when you "need" them.

Maybe we need to start a support group, HA - Hoarders Annonymous? B)

This discussion, by the way, proves why you can never find some bits when you need them.

I was just thinking that....how many of us are looking for something that one of us has in the garage just taking up space ? Ive had it a couple of times where Ive bought something that a friend had but I didnt know about, and vice versa.

My problem isnt so much that I buy things for the car I have, but dont fit them, or for a car I may buy in the future, but the Alpina spoiler shows Ill buy things for a car that I may never have just because its there and its cheap.