Sign in to follow this  
kiwiland

Parking Hitlers

Recent publicity on Fair Go and TV News about the actions of "Parking Wardens" in handing out all manner of offence notices for your vehicle is enough to question the actions of our local bodies.

Two points come to mind:-

1. As the job qualification requirements for a Parking Warden probably don't extend beyond the ability to count to 10 should these people be given such authority?

2. As most of the mall and supermarket parking areas are private property and thus not part of the road system how can you commit a motoring offence in such an area?

I agree with what you say, but in regard to point number 2.:

All areas with free access to the public are considered public road for the purposes of issuing traffic infringements (it's enshrined in law - I can find the exact section of the applicable act if you need proof).

In other words its possible to get DIC'd in a supermarket carpark for example.

Edit: Decided to look it up anyway.

Most offences relate to an offence on a "road".

Road is defined in the act thus: (Note (d) especially - this means it includes public carparks, parks, schools, Service Lanes, Right's of Way that are for public use and so on.)

Road includes—

a/ A street; and

b/ A motorway; and

c/ A beach; and

d/ A place to which the public have access, whether as of right or not; and

e/ All bridges, culverts, ferries, and fords forming part of a road or street or motorway, or a place referred to in paragraph (d):

f/ All sites at which vehicles may be weighed for the purposes of this Act or any other enactment:

2. As most of the mall and supermarket parking areas are private property and thus not part of the road system how can you commit a motoring offence in such an area?

That's what I was thinking watching Fair Go last night, but a comment they made seemed to suggest that the carparks were council property??

I also wonder if the MCC will stand by their word and waive offences if the issues were sorted, (WOF, registration, tyres) within a reasonable time frame. I've had some great battles with various councils over trivial matters and various "offences".

I have one particular car park in the Auckland CBD which is supposed to be a loading zone. The first time I parked their I was unaware that it was a loading zone. Came back to my car with a $90 infringement notice. Looked up at the power pole and there was a Loading Zone sign placed much higher than usual, no road markings. Got back to the office not happy after being stung the day before for exceeding the time limit by a few minutes, sent in a letter of complaint about the loading zone sign being so high up on the pole and not noticing it and no road markings. Got a reply saying the offence would not be waived as I had committed an offence.

Found the legislation detailing the MINIMUM requirements for Signage and road marking, Sent off another letter requesting it be waived as they had not met the minimum requirements, and got a second reply saying it would not be waived as I had acknowledged I had parked in the loading zone and had comitted the offence.

Sent them back a third letter with images detailing minimum requirements and the legislation stating such requirements, and I'll see you in court and I'll continue parking in that space until the minimum requirements had been met.

They waived it. That was 6 months ago

I continue parking their and do not put any money in the pay and display machine as it only applies to the carparks in front of the sign. I continue to get parking tickets and have come back to a tow truck getting ready to tow me. Tut tut tut put my car back down thank you very much, you are acting beyond your powers. Send off the same generic letter and get it waived.

I wonder how many people park there and get tickets and actually pay them.

Edited by melowpuf

i have seen some wardens, hang round cars who's time is about to expire. its like they get a commission for the amount of cars they ticket.

they dont like it, if you go ahead of them and put money in the meters for people. :P they get very irate

Not sure if its change but if you pay the minimum ie $2 for a ticket put it on the dash and let it expire, ya get a $12 fine. Leave it there and you cant get another ticket for 12 hours. In Akl thats cheap parking ha just make sure you park it somewhere where its hard to tow incase ya get real sh*tty warden.

OT, but parking fines are not that expensive here. When I was in Amsterdam recently, got 52 euro parking fine for being 2 hours overdue. Thats over $100 in today's conversion rate.

I've had....

200~ dollars in parking fines over the years....

one was because my towbar was over a yellow line.

I've had....

200~ dollars in parking fines over the years....

one was because my towbar was over a yellow line.

Dunedin is rediculous, they are everywhere. And give them out for everything.

Dunedin is rediculous, they are everywhere. And give them out for everything.

Oh I know mate, I saw... 4 today. crusing about studentville being nobs.

This year I got myself Rideshare passes :)

Recent publicity on Fair Go and TV News about the actions of "Parking Wardens" in handing out all manner of offence notices for your vehicle is enough to question the actions of our local bodies.

Two points come to mind:-

1. As the job qualification requirements for a Parking Warden probably don't extend beyond the ability to count to 10 should these people be given such authority?

Agree with you although point 2 has been clarified.

In regards to Fair go article -Who the hell do they (Council) think they are in overturning a tyre company's interpretation of the state of the tyre - surely they are aware of legal requiremets & anyway - wouldn't it be in their interest to supply a new tyre if they could justify? And as said - what the hell does a parking warden know of requirements?

I find it amusing though at the naiveity of the woman in that article - "My car has a WOF" :wacko:

Does she not realise that tyres wear out & that because they may be at 1.5mm (I think) & comply for WOF inspection, that if thats the case - within near future & well before next WOF - new tyres will be required to maintain a road legal car - It is up to the driver to maintain a road legal car at all times. What if a bulb blows a day after issue of WOF? - Does she wait until next WOF inspection?

Not the first time I have come across this attitude either

Not sure if its change but if you pay the minimum ie $2 for a ticket put it on the dash and let it expire, ya get a $12 fine. Leave it there and you cant get another ticket for 12 hours. In Akl thats cheap parking ha just make sure you park it somewhere where its hard to tow incase ya get real sh*tty warden.

Not true. They can cancel the first one and "upgrade" your ticket to $21 and so on.

Oh I know mate, I saw... 4 today. crusing about studentville being nobs.

Remember when someone took exception to the parking nazi last year by the cook (got a ticket in a practically country part of the town for idling on a yellow line), got out, revved the guys bike up and sent it flying/ crashing down the road?! hilaaarious! the person who got run over probably didnt think so, but i dont blame the perpetrator for snapping haha

bah, when I had our car in London, got 3 x £120 parking fines in 2 months.

I had my car towed because the ticket slid off my dashboard when another car hit it in a car park.... :| No refund either, $250.

And to top it off, I was on the north shore, and they towed it to Mt Eden...

I've been given about on average about 10 parking tickets, in Tauranga and Hamilton.

I've paid them all, one a $200.00 fine for having no WOF. And the other for parking in a Wheel Chair park, which was a stupid thing to do!

I learnt my lesson, and I haven't done much moaning, because I've been too lazy to go put more money in the meter.

But the saddest thing is when I was at Waikato Uni, they had a sad, sad excuse for a student carpark, so most students would have to park on the streets, which had time limits. Next thing, walk out of a lecture and Hello, a $12.00 ticket.

Funniest incident which has occured for me was parked down Mt. Maunganui main street by the shops, a friend and I walk out of a store to see a parking warden writing me out that $200.00 ticket for having an expired WOF, which annoyed me as I was booked in for it the following day. My fault for driving the car with no WOF. To get to the point, my friend got a little carried away, started mouthing off at him, snarling angrily that he should consider getting a real job. He asked her if she'd like to speak up for the microphone, and that she could get in trouble for some type of assult. Me being an absolute pussy, apoligised, grabbed the ticket, and drove off,without looking back. Haha.

Poor people. Cunning. But must get so abused. And the shame of wearing those cricket hats. *Shudders*.

I had my car towed because the ticket slid off my dashboard when another car hit it in a car park.... :| No refund either, $250.

And to top it off, I was on the north shore, and they towed it to Mt Eden...

wow sounds like you got given a hard time, only time I was going to get a ticket I was lucky enough to catch the warden giving it, then we got chatting about the e30 race series, then he waived it and he gave me a 'verbal warning' about not having a WOF since it was only a few weeks out.

edit - from my experience, they are nice people :)

Edited by Jamez

When i was living in parnell I had one for no rego, it was out by 3 days, the ticket was issued at 11pm, my car was listed as a black hatchback(not a white 4Dr sedan), I wrote in and they let me off

funny thing i remember a few years ago now my dads mate had a ticket written for some ridiculous thing and the guy picked up the wardens little scooter motorbike and threw it in the Avon river! was hilarious

Haha that's taking it a bit far. Saw 3 wardens standing around a parked taxi having a conference today. I doubt the taxi got off easy.