Sign in to follow this  
bigrob

Identifying unmarked cop cars

I have always relied on spotting the rectangular lights on the dash and on the rear window, thought I would never go wrong until today- followed a white hyundai from hastings towards welly , saw the lights on the rear window ,convinced undercover cops & was scared to overtake as the guy was doing about 100km/h. An hour or so later, the guys pulled over in Dannevirke and as I passed glanced at the driver- yes he was in uniform, St Johns ambulance uniform and the car had the lights on the dash too! So the lights are unreliable, what else can i look for?

I have always found the stock wheels on a commodore are a dead giveaway. No other commodore owner would be seen dead with those ugly wheels on.

Lights in the front grills, the standard ones usually are run on LPG so theres a sticker on the boot, ^^ Steelies, Lights in the front and back windows, some have a big radar pointing out the middle of the back window.

Problem is alot of unmarked cop cars arnt commodores.. Those unmarked medical vehicles are normally air rescue vehicles arnt they? Like the head medic. Not too many of those around.

Problem is alot of unmarked cop cars arnt commodores..

To be honest Luke, I haven't seen one unmarked cop car that hasn't been a commodore yet. I've heard soo many stories about Hyundais and Honda's etc but I've never seen one!

Maybe not speed and watch the road not look for cops?

They are rocking out in anything from 84 Lazers to 98 Hiaces on 18's....

Most of them have 2-3 big aerials

Ive seen an 80's F150 with contracting tools in the tray (was shitting myself he was behind me when his lights turned on, but he took off ahead of me)

Alotta commodore's too not all stock though

Edited by jordy

Yea Nick im speaking in general across the country. Because around here most of them are commodores also except one nice looking Navara.

Dont know how many of you consider this but remember cops are still driving around in their personal cars when they are not on duty either.. I always bare this in mind whats to say they dont report you if they see you doing something stupid.

Steel Wheels is the biggest give away for me, and the millions of aerials coming off the cars :D

There are:

Toyota Camery

Mitsi Galants

Toyota Privea (speed camera)

Northshore has a HiandDry sonata ... gold with blacked out windows.

All manor of holdens .. Alot with cable tied on hub caps rolling around.

Down country Subaru awd legacy

Couple of oldie commies driving around too that they keep for suprise value.

Pursuit rims are mainly for the D cars these days.

You cant trust anything these days.

Saw a late model XR6 Sedan yesterday on the way home from work

We have a few Hi and drys here in the stings as cop wagans, you kind of just learn to not speed in presence of other vehicles, you never know these days where cops are, just abide by the rules i guess as Emma said.

Some of the D-Cars have no Radar equpment... one of the cars that attended my accident, (an SV6 commo) had no radar, was told it was a detectives car.

Or alternitively, Don't speed.... :)

Unmarked cars seen lately on HW1 & HW2 just south of Bombay include:

metallic silver Honda Accord V6

metallic gold Toyota Camry with bodykit

silver Hyundai Sonata V6

dark metallic blue Nissan Maxima

Steelies. LPG sticker. Lights in the rear window. Used to not worry if it had a spoiler, but lately I've noticed that some undercovers have spoilers! Tricky, tricky. Have seen u/c's with alloys also.

Have seen a Nissan ute, Honda Accord, and a Maxima. Accord was in Botany, Ute was in Westgate and Maxima also near Drury on the Motorway, same as what you've mentioned R90s. I've been told through police friends that every year the police demo different cars.

Simple thing is, if in doubt... Don't risk it.

they often wear hi viz vests,although you may be a bit close by the time you see that

Truth is,there are no absolutes.Detectives can have SS commies with 17"wheels.But your average have been covered so far i think.

-steel wheels

-big balloon tyres

-grill lights(maybe)/rear screen lights at bottom

-mirror lights

-aerials(the more under cover the more aerials)

your mate in the hyundai wouldve been a rapid response paramedic,so needed lights/siren.Like that guy was saying about an F150...was it black??they also have a texas ranger style F250,nissan safaris,the list goes on and on.

I been told that the lights will not be on the dash anymore but mounted inside the lights and grille so you can see them.

Hate the cars with the thin light bars also.

I just watch every car that goes past/comes towards me, i just look for holdens usually

And there's a sneaky commodore wagon that I've seen thats all blacked out with the lights sort of behind the tints and are not visible, only reason I saw this in the first place is because it was parked in my driveway.

I saw a Maroon commy wagon with police on the side of the door today. Written in the dust. Was totally undercover as