Sign in to follow this  
martyyn

Brake related but not a BMW

A friend of mine bought a new Suzuki Swift a couple of months ago (8k kms on the clock new) but she has been having a few problems with it since.

Unfortunately the Suzuki dealer down here has a similar attitude to Jeff Grey in that they couldnt give a rats ar$e about her because she didnt buy the car from them, anyway.....

The problem she has is that when cold the brakes are so sensitive that its like performing an emergency stop every time she even thinks about applying the brakes. Its a little better when they are warm but at the moment she is almost at the point of selling the car.

The last time she took it in, they said they couldnt find a problem but would 'deglaze' the discs to see if it would help. What 'deglaze' means I dont know, but although it was a bit better for a while its back to being super sensitive.

The dealers have washed their hands of it and have refused to help any more so does anyone have ideas that might help ?

I know what you mean! Jeez. Was taking my aunts new Honda Civic Hatch down the road and first time I had to break I nearly went through the window. I don't know whether or not it was a problem or just how the brakes were set up, but it was crazy sensitive.

Sounds asthough the Suzuki case is a bit worse tho. Sorry I can't help.

Wow, same thing with me. Jumped in my Grandmothers brand new Corolla and only touched the brake and the car pretty much did a complete stop right on the spot. Maybe just a thing with new Jap cars? Although I wouldn't have thought so.

Yeah, I think it's just that new cars have overly-assisted brakes. I do it every time I drive my company's Ford Territory. Even the slightest touch on the brake and you're almost through the windshield. Similarly, when I was without a BMW for a few months and then first drove the E30 I almost went straight through a stop sign because I didn't apply the brakes hard enough! :D

I don't think it's anything to worry about, she'll just adjust to it over time. Every newer car I've driven does the same.

That does sound a bit strange? Deglaze means to skim the surface of the discs and pads, they should of shamfered the pads as well.

We havent had too many probs with swift brakes, the dealer should be replacing the brake pads and possibly the discs also if she consists with the problem.

After doing some research last night it looks like there was a recall of Swifts (in the UK at least) due to the pads being excessively hard and causing an obscene amount if noise.

She's had the car for about six months now and rather than getting used to it she is thinking of selling it.

After doing some research last night it looks like there was a recall of Swifts (in the UK at least) due to the pads being excessively hard and causing an obscene amount if noise.

She's had the car for about six months now and rather than getting used to it she is thinking of selling it.

Normal swift or sport? We have had a few sports with noisy brakes but none with this problem, as i said if the your friend isn't happy with the brakes still take it back to the dealer and request new brakes to be fitted, warrenty should cover this.

Thats just it, she has been back to the dealer and they said it wasnt a warranty issue so they wouldnt help. They charged her a couple of hundred to deglaze them and since them the dealership has gone under and the new place doesnt want to know.

Im not sure if her's is a sport or not, Ill talk to her tomorrow.

dont know what the problem is but i have no problems (as far as brake sensitivity) swappin between the swift and the 5

Thats just it, she has been back to the dealer and they said it wasnt a warranty issue so they wouldnt help. They charged her a couple of hundred to deglaze them and since them the dealership has gone under and the new place doesnt want to know.

Im not sure if her's is a sport or not, Ill talk to her tomorrow.

That's bull sh*t, the new dealership (whoever that are) should take on board that she has a swift still under warrenty with a problem, i can't understand why the old dealership still charged her for a vehicle fault?

go suzuki.co.nz

go contact us

on drop down menu click on "Dealership sales and service concern"

Then sit back and watch everyone go loopy trying to fix it.

If no luck try one of the TV shows

Could be wrong but I thought glazed pads resulted in brakes with insufficient bite/stopping power as opposed to too much?

Could be wrong but I thought glazed pads resulted in brakes with insufficient bite/stopping power as opposed to too much?

Glazing only really causes noise, same braking effect though.

That's bull sh*t, the new dealership (whoever that are) should take on board that she has a swift still under warrenty with a problem, i can't understand why the old dealership still charged her for a vehicle fault?

+1

Get in contact with the National Service Manager of Suzuki NZ. We have 3 Suzukis in the family including my wifes LTD and I have 7 customers with them too. I've never come accross that problem with any of them Martyn.

Thanks for all the confirmation guys, Ill be seeing my friend at work and will have a chat with her and will probably go to the dealers with her this time for one last chance before we take it higher.

Just fit some E30 brakes to it, she’ll be wrapped with results!

Are the brakes completely un-progressive?