Sign in to follow this  
Jaydubs

All Red Tail lights

So Ive got all red tail lights on my f/l e30 similar to the pic below

- I do them myself with glass stainer and clearcoat from bunnings.

They allways look great when they've just been done, but tend to fade and have a matt appearance, sick of re-painting them once a year and wanted to know if there is anyone out there that has

a. done this properly

b. is a car painter and can give me an idea of what to use/who to see to stain them properly and get a decent gloss clearcoat over the top.

c. know where i can buy these (not the crystal style available on trade me)

Im in Auckland

Popped into some random panelbeater on a whim the other day and the guy litterally couldn't get his head around why I wanted this done, and was a bit of a d*ck tbh.

rather than waste anymore time picking through painters thought id ask here?

cheers!

Posted Image

)

Edited by Jaydubs

You can buy this clear headlight protectant stuff from Repco, why not try some of that.

I keep all my lights polished and waxed, they stay shiny.

I have used and seen others use plasti-kote glass stain. I have never seen it fade even without a clear over top. Just a bit of advice though - if you are going to clear coat over top make sure the clear is compatible with the glass stain or you will get crazy cracked paint which is a pain in the butt..

I've done a couple of sets now with no problems. I still have the paint & clear at home. I'll check on the brands I used and post tomorow. I cleaned the lights with white spirits. Masked up the edges & reverse light. Put two coats of red on the orange indicators first, then two coats of red over the whole lense, then two coats of clear.

^^ I do this also.

Can you do mine Glenn?? Swap a you a box of Red. Red for Red, now that’s a deal.

Can you do mine Glenn?? Swap a you a box of Red. Red for Red, now that’s a deal.

Need to check to see if I've still got the paint at home

I've been looking for the right stuff to do this EVERYWHERE... no one has it.

Where do you get this stuff from... Glenn I'm also very interested in the products you used.

I know bunnings, mitre ten mega and place makers have it

I got it all from Mitre 10... I'll post up what product I used in the morning.... I'm sure I've still got some at home. The secret in doing this properly is to make sure everything is clean first. And dont be to impatient waiting for the paint to dry properly between coats.

can anyone post pics of the finish they get?

I've been using White knight glass stain & White Knight crystal clearcoat.

Was thinking a carpainter might be able to get a more professional gloss finish with the clearcoat, as i really don't like the finish i get.

it looks like when you see "smoked" tail lights but its just a ghetto stocking pulled over the light, not that nice shiny glass look.

This is what I used ... all available from Mitre10

Krylon stained glass colour 9020 Red

Plasti-Kote super laquer T-5 clear

Worked a treat doing the above which I have posted

And Graham: I dont have enough left to do another set

All good, thanks Glenn.

I have a can of Tamiya Clear red plastic hobby paint, also have some clear coat. Will just do it myself :D

^ Thats what I was going to use too, let me know how it goes.

Mark, If you still have trouble finding it I can get you a can from work.

I just did mine with Plasticote red stain and T-5 Clear coat. Worked sweet.

Go to Acorn models in CHCH they have the good stuff

Got mine off a dude on ebay. Pretty pricey but they look like they came fully red new, absolutely no difference from the rest of the rear light and they're never gonna fade.

it looks like when you see "smoked" tail lights but its just a ghetto stocking pulled over the light, not that nice shiny glass look.

You're not getting your clear to "flow" so its drying matt. Caused by either not enough thinner (but you're using a can), or drying too fast, or a bad product. Did you shake the can properly?

I'd try a different brand. Just don't put it on too thick to try and compensate for the lack of flow - it'll run.

post-339-1247509630_thumb.jpg