Sign in to follow this  
westy

The bastard child.

No to the M3 bodykit. Just dont want to, something along the lines of "Its been done before" blah blah...

Trying to avoid the plastic body kit thing too. The rear valence will be taken care of though.

Guest Simon*

Nah Tony I reckon you go for big obvious riveted flares. Not huge, but make a bit of a feature of them

for example

Posted Image

Simon, I do like them. See here also.

Posted Image

But I like this too

Posted Image

And no sideskirts on either.

Meh, just run out of gas. Imma get me coloured pens out.

Edited by westy

Guest Simon*

They both look good. Go without sideskirts and colour-code the rubbing strip to match body. They curve away quite nicely under the car and will make standalone wheel flares look bloody good.

Looking forward to your paint by numbers creation

depends what you will be using the car for tony, if it's racing then you need to think about 'ease of replacement' body panels.

why not try for a similar style to E36 M3 gtr flares, wide flat arches!

Heated and roll man :) like those mk1 / mk2 escourts.

I have about as much flare as you and im using the standard guards. They are getting extruded out however.

Like this?

Posted Image

Posted Image

They're forest arches for their rally cars. Pretty sure they're bonded fiberglass. Never really a big fan either.

Edited by westy

^ AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH its the car I based my old race car off... :(

So hawt.

Bolt on flares FTW

I'm more thinking that rolling the gaurds out / extruding. Using the same metal but making the gaurd arch height bigger in the shoulder to stop it looking weird.

Pumping guards is an easy thing to f*** up.

As not to wreck the lines of the car, I'm going to be taking the e46 m3 approach to it. Taller arches which will allow for a smoother arch in the cross section and there for allowing for a wider guard with out looking strange.

It's a pretty easy formula. The wider you go, the higher you go.

The only problem (not really a problem just more work) is the qauter panel 'fold' line will need to be also merged in.

I agree completely. Avoiding the fold line should be easy on the rear, perhaps not so easy on the front.

I just don't think there's enough steel of the correct shape without cutting and adding new.

Posted Image

As you can see the fronts have been pulled out. It is just a case of doing the same to the rears.

get out the cardboard and scissors, mock up some arches and race tape them on.

I think you are right tony, there probably won't be enough steel without adding some on.

I agree completely. Avoiding the fold line should be easy on the rear, perhaps not so easy on the front.

I just don't think there's enough steel of the correct shape without cutting and adding new.

all about heating and using a hydraulic roller to get it out some what. If its possible to push my e46 bonnet power buldge out using this process, its defanitly possible to push the guards out. You create 'more' metal by lifting the height so to speak.

i vote DTM style arches:

Posted Image

Posted Image

You can't say it wouldn't work with a box shape car as the 155 is a box...

Edited by DRTDVL

Apart from being nearly impossible to do in sheet metal. The M3 type widened guards look pretty Hot on James E30 S50 Race car.

Mayne an approach like that but a little more subtle ?

Found it..!!! (took most the morning!)

The bumpers etc are a bit of an abortion but the guards speak for themselves. They still look stock! :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

The guy who did my e46 told me that nothing is impossible. Its just metal and welding. It just depends how good your panel beater is ;)