Sign in to follow this  
Quinn

Suspension problems since lowering the car

I have uprated the suspension in my E28 with bilstein shocks and Vogtland springs. I had the suspension built (I removed the uprights and took them into the workshop) and I installed them my self and the car sits 10mm higher on the left than the right. The fronts are obviously inserts and replacement coils on the original spring seats and the rear spring seats (on the bilstein shocks) are the same distance from the lower eye (no difference in the spring seat heights). I did a quick coil count and they are the same, the bushes in the car are a bit shagged but not that bad and the chassis is straight and true. I cant figure out what could be causing it, a mate of mine said he knows some cars do have an extra 1/4 coil on one side to compensate for the driver and fuel tank etc but I would have thought an aftermarket company wouldn't do it, plus it wouldn't amount to 10mm. I have emailed Vogtland but had no reply. If you guys can't think of anything I guess I'll have to pull it all out and get the springs checked for poundage and count the coils exactly. Its very weird and a pain in the ass as apart for that they do provide a nice ride.

Ive had similar problem before in the rear , all i did was jack up the car and turn the spring and slightly reposition it on both sides , made about a 5mm change on each side, Either higher or lower, to make it look even. Haven't had to do it in the front before though.

Exactly the same with me i just thought it would of been the fuel tank ?

Exactly the same with me i just thought it would of been the fuel tank ?

The fuel tank is central, with the driveshaft through the middle of it on BMW's...you only fill from the R/H side

Mines that same, Vogtlands springs also, it’s not major but defiantly uneven.

Might take your advice *mybmw* thanks :)

Often, bmw's are slightley uneven from the factory or the weights are slightly out with some models due to the difference between left hand drive and right hand drive, also the uneveness is not always apparent until the car is lowered which then makes it more apparent as the distance between the guard and tyre is reduced otherwise not always noticeable with factory height, the best way is to always measure the car before it is lowered to determine if there is a difference before you start, to tell if it is a problem with the spring or if the car was already uneven, the other way is to swap the said springs from side to side in the car and if it is still uneven then you know that it is a car problem not a spring problem, failing that you can load test each spring on a spring testing machine to see if they have even poundage, also if they are not seated correctley it can cause height deviations but i'm sure yours was professionally installed so this would be inlikely.

my car does it because my front left shock is stuffed and isn't working proper and it being kinda jammed up forces the back right side down to the point where my car is 2 inch different on each side.. getting sorted at the moment :)

Factory spec for most BMW models allows 10 mm variation side to side

HOWEVER if you check the suspension parts list generally you can find two thicknesses of spring pads typically 3 mm & 9mm (difference of 6 ) so appropriately located these will reduce a 10 mm variation to 4mm - problem solved.

The proper way to set this up is measuring spring lengths / rates and corner weights fixed and sprung as well.

Cheers for all the input guys, interesting to hear its happened to others. The E28 has the fuel tank on the drivers side so I figured it might be an allowance for the driver/ fuel tank but then remembered the driver was originally supposed to be on the left... I guess I'll have to swap the springs from left to right and see what happens, If it doesn't work I'll get some rubber spring pads for the front (the backs are adjustable in 10mm increments). I've had the rear shocks in and out about ten times now and was hoping not to have to touch them again... *sigh*....

I just varied the thickness of the spring pads around my car to even the height, works a treat