Sign in to follow this  
3 SERIES

Online Photo Storage/Management

I recently brought a DSLR and have started taking photos in RAW file format to get he best quality.

Im wondering what options are out there for online photo storage/management? I doubt there is such a site to store RAWS so will convert to JPG once mucked around with in lightroom.

What im really wanting to know is:

1/ Once photos are uploaded to a site, are they compressed to save space? or are their certain sites that retain the original file size and quality?

2/ Once photos are uploaded to a site can they then be downloaded again in the off chance my external HDD falls over?

Any help/advice/options would be appreciated.

Cheers

Brett

Edited by 3 SERIES

Most photo sites leave your photos at original size.

You can download photos again, but I don't know if you can bulk download. There are programs out there that let you do such a thing though.

I use Photobucket, no problems with resizing etc.

I recently brought a DSLR and have started taking photos in RAW file format to get he best quality.

Im wondering what options are out there for online photo storage/management? I doubt there is such a site to store RAWS so will convert to JPG once mucked around with in lightroom.

What im really wanting to know is:

1/ Once photos are uploaded to a site, are they compressed to save space? or are their certain sites that retain the original file size and quality?

2/ Once photos are uploaded to a site can they then be downloaded again in the off chance my external HDD falls over?

Any help/advice/options would be appreciated.

Cheers

Brett

Buy a couple of external hard drives...thats what I've done. d*ck Smith had them on special. I brought 2 X 500gig units for $250 each

If you want an external hardrive go for the 1Tb ones for $190incl GST from PC online shop in auckland

Linky

If you want an external hardrive go for the 1Tb ones for $190incl GST from PC online shop in auckland

Linky

Thats a good price

Thanks Mark.

Glenn, James, I have all my on a 1TB external. Not really keen on purchasing another only on the off chance the first one fails.

Its not crucial that I use an online photo storage site as my second back up but would be nice that it had a feature like this in case of an emergency.

Was just gauging thoughts anyway.

Anyone used Flickr? any diff between that and photobucket?

Edited by 3 SERIES

Guest Simon*

If you're wanting to just store the .RAW files and don't care about being able to view them online you can just use one of the free online data storage providers (can't recall any names off top of my head) - they are limited in space etc. though, although they're bound to have a low-cost subscription service available too.

You are better off purchasing two good HDD's. And just have them mirror each other.

A few keen photographers I know use flicker or whatever it is called. But when viewing their albums I can't stand the layout.

Most photo sharing sites do compress your photos if your not a premium customer.

I picked up 4x 1TB WD Caviar Black HDD's from Computer Lounge for under $200 each. And they are pretty much the quickest HDD's we have avalible in NZ without going to SSD drives.

Forget externals. They get banged around to much. HDD's don't like that.