Sign in to follow this  
antil33t

Class Bores Me

So, I've decided to do this silly degree in computer bollocks.

tis called Bachelor of Information Technology....

IT111 - Fundamentals....

Last week it was Word, Today It's Excel... Srsly... it's a fuuuing degree... WHO in their right mind does a computer degree, that can't do basic computer shite.

Yes, I'm Biased, as I've already done some other qualification that teaches you word/excel. (it was a pre-req, due to failing school)

In other news - did my first service on my E30 yesterday.

Edited by antil33t

yup yup

done that one...

best one was this is your keyboard, this is the power switch to turn on the computer...

I think if you don't know what they are then you shouldn't be learning how to FIX A FRICKEN PC!

i got soo bored in my OS 101 class, they i only showed up for 4 classes, they happened to be exams and still passed with 95% so so so stupid...

[geek rant]

Information Technology....pfffft.....its nothing more than Computer Science for dummies.

It never ceases to amaze me how many people get this degree and apply for developer roles claiming to have a Computer Science degree....muppets.

[/geek rant]

I don't want to be a developer, so i decided to flag doing computer science. Wanting to do networking guff...

Excel is awesome :ph34r:

It can persuaded to do all sorts of things! Learn it! And learn it well, such a powerful tool - My EngSci MM1 lecturer showed us how you could trick excel into making graphs that visually show deformation in structures! Bad. Ass.

Yes...I'm a geek, am writing MatLab as I procrastinate on BimmerSport :lol:

I hated Level 3 Information Technology at school, So pass on doing a Bachelor on it..

Typing up Word documents & making Graphs in Excel, Boriiiiing.

Did a similar class last year. So sh*t. I just let everyone copy off me in the exam which took me about 30 mins out of 2 hours. Spent the rest of the exam on Bimmersport and Facebook.

I am going to do a BIS next year if I can be bothered. Pretty much the same sh*t I just did in my Diploma but even more unexciting.

Excel is awesome :ph34r:

It can persuaded to do all sorts of things! Learn it! And learn it well, such a powerful tool - My EngSci MM1 lecturer showed us how you could trick excel into making graphs that visually show deformation in structures! Bad. Ass.

Yes...I'm a geek, am writing MatLab as I procrastinate on BimmerSport :lol:

Oh yes, Excel is an incredibly powerful tool in the right hands. Not as powerful as MatLab, but hey, we have users that can't even seem to operate anything as simple as Outlook reliably let alone MatLab!

I love IT,

Still doing level three though, so easy.

Oh yes, Excel is an incredibly powerful tool in the right hands. Not as powerful as MatLab, but hey, we have users that can't even seem to operate anything as simple as Outlook reliably let alone MatLab!

http://ptc.com/products/mathcad/ i love ptc software - pro/e much much much better than solidworks... almost as much as i love exa software... You racecar boys should get some of there software and give me a copy... espically powerflow!

Guest FrantiC

I'm doing Level 5, Did level 5 software which was Excel , Word, Access, MYOB.. Also did Level 5 programming in Visual c+. Man some of the stuff they get you doing in Word and Excel is unheard of. If I were to use microsoft word, it would be for writing a basic letter. But it gets you familiar with pretty much every aspect of the programs like word and excel, which are indeed more than they seem.

Access was FTL had to make our own full working databases. Now we have to do the same for "Data Management", though in MySQL.

As for programming....Gotta be on to it for that stuff..

I've got to do programming for this year, at least anyway, it's Delphi, then apparently it's VB, and another language... I'm not a fan of programming, bores the living shite out of me, would rather be meddling with wires. but due to my condition I can't just do a trade :(

Guest FrantiC

Yeah I was always way more into the practical side of things, Was building computers back in intermediate and stuff. Have built heaps on my own and for others lol. Would of liked to got a degree of some sort in hardware sorta computer technician side of things but they don't offer anything like that were I study.

I am real torn though, Either wanna pursue a career in computer engineering / technician, or my other hobby which I reckon I am good at is automotive stuff. Have also ripped apart my car and on other cars, I just have a thing for getting into things and enjoy the practical side of things.

I can't stand sitting at a computer all day doing programming or database stuff. But for now I 'm stuck lol. IT side of things is much more money and I could keep cars as a hobby I guess.

I've never understood the attraction of working with computers as a job - I prefer talking sh*t

Guest FrantiC

Haha. Fair enough. Think about it though, What job DOESNT have use of computers these days ? IT is a huge and high paying industry whether it sitting there on a computer working with software, programming, web designing, network administration or building the computers, maintenance side of things..

Haha. Fair enough. Think about it though, What job DOESNT have use of computers these days ? IT is a huge and high paying industry whether it sitting there on a computer working with software, programming, web designing, network administration or building the computers, maintenance side of things..

IT isn't as high paying as it once was... unless you are specialized.

As i'm working in the industry for a large multinational corporation, and i've got more flexibility in my role for range of work than most it gets very boring unless your working on the larger projects....

Oh there are SOO SOO SOO SOO many retards in the industry that THINK they know how to fix a computer it's amazing... I HATE HELPDESK STAFF --- WHEN I SAY I"M IN IT STOP SPEAKING TO ME LIKE A RETARD!

p.s. i HATE autodesk support staff...

You want to do well in IT, you need the same deductive skills as Glenn to solve problems via peoples ramblings... Also you need NEED to know how to research and ask the right questions to those who can help you.

If you want to earn some good money in IT, learn packaging... SCCM / SMS , how to write installers, create MST and MSI's, VBS install scripts... It's fairly tedious at times, but when you get a challenge it's lots of fun... It gets you involed heavily in AD, Scripting, Deployment Server Configurations, Design and Setup, Implantation... Database admins is anouther area.

Hardware guys tend to stay at a helpdesk sort of level, as unless you get involved with the network infustructure design and spec'ing of that you really need to the bulk of your skills in another area with that a key component of your skill set.

I really dislike dealing with help desk staff, Unless they're the one in charge,

Some dude from Sky TV was real helpful, then gave me some info on how I could get a free Component Cable for my Decoder,

The next time I called, as the Component cable wasn't working, it was just a keyboard jockey - not an English speaker, so VERY hard to understand.

they kept saying they'd get a techie out, which I'd have to pay for.

Any who, Class today is PowerPoint! how fun!

IT is a pretty big all encompassing field. I have no formal IT training (although I am PMP and PRINCE2 Practitioner certified) but am currently a Project Manager (one of several) on a US$500 million IT software project for the Californian Government.

I'd stick to IT but as mentioned elsewhere become specialized and certified in one aspect.

Cheers

Grant

I get the feeling that a quote from Jeremy Clarkson a few years back that BMW's are now geeks cars is starting to ring true :-)

Hmm.. you think IT is boring? I'm doing what they call a computer science fundamentals paper at the moment... algorithms and data structures :(

Imagine calculus, mixed with the elements of time and space...

But on to the real stuff next year, BSc in Comp Sci at vic :D

When teaching a group there will always be different levels of skill present in the class. Some might find it boring, however the teacher/instructor must cover all aspects of the lesson so that the group can proceed onto higher levels. Same in our industry. Every one wants to get into high tech, interesting work. Without basic skills you can get lost with deduction, fault finding and building / repairing something and I think that would apply to any service / supply industry.

What do you do DRTDVL? Sounds very interesting.

CAD Administrator - i'm responsible for hardware spec'ing, resolving problems associated with the software i look after, researching plug-ins, service packs, network deployments around 15 servers and 7 countries, network image creation, creating custom scripts for file backup/replacement/standardising, licence manage stuff, etc...

DRTDVL's job sounds like fun.

I'm still unsure what I actually want to do, clearly not coding though as it makes my brain hurt, and my flatmates get angry at the speed I type at, since they can hear it in their rooms when I'm in mine with the door shut.

Also, I've got the swine, so taking a few days off to recover (note I don't actually have swine)

Hmm, Now to work out why the E30's Coolant light keeps coming on... ordering cambelt,waterpump,tentioners and crankseal soon.