Sign in to follow this  
Jamez

LeMons New Zeland

Just wondering anyone would be up for a LeMons (lemons) race like they have in the states, LINKY, around march next year on the club track at Hampton Downs?

If the first event is successful it may become a series.

If you are keen, a website has been put up ... LINKY

First event is set to take place on the evening of Friday the 6th of November.

Posted Image

Edited by Jamez

Hahaha this would be awesome mate.

Could it be anything under $1500? You can get some quite good cars for under that.

Should make it $500 for NZ. Lol. Would have some awesome heaps of sh*t running around.

Edited by driftit

I am so keen! :D sounds like fun! woooo this will bea good excuse to paint a car in insane paint! :D:P

Should make it $500 for NZ. Lol. Would have some awesome heaps of sh*t running around.

I think $500 would make it more competitive it would then be an endurance race for the 2 hours.. $1500 would be a breeze to last 2 hours..

I could build some e34 contenders, just a bit of block sealer and curry powder should do the trick :)

i said max spending limit of $1500 meaning nothing over $1500

thinking about it a $500ish spending cap would probably be better, with no limit on money spent on safety, ie roll cage,seat,harness and tires

also, since its a 2hr race, was thinking 2-4 drivers per team with a limit of 1hr's driving per person

was thinking a limit of 20 teams with a $25 deposit to cover track hire, too kick things off

FYI all drivers will need a competitors license.

Edited by Jamez

Careful James, you may be setting yourself up to get OSHed if there are any incidents?

competitors licence? how do i get this? lol *newbie*

if you are interested, send an email to lemons2hr@gmail.com

I just realised. If I use the m20b25 I have in the garage which I got cheap and put that into my Racecar which I purchased for $800.

Could I then enter it? As it will be less than $1500 excluding the saftey gear like the cage and seats.

depending what spending cap is implemented, yea sure

In the USA to stop people spending heaps they have an auction after the race, with the reserve being what you can prove you spent on it. It stops people cheating an saying they got all the parts for $10 and also stops people from putting really expensive things (engine,suspension ect ect) in that they already have.

meaning that if the spending cap was $500 and you spent $1500 on a cage/seats and harness your reserve price would be $2k

I don't think you even need a cage and seats if you car is 100% original (what my dad said)

Edited by Jamez

What safety requirements will need to be met on the cars? I've had a bit to do with demo derby's and understand this would have the potential to reach much higher speeds, most derby's are slowed down alot by wetting the track resulting in little traction so the speeds are controlled this way. The safety reinforcing of the vehicles are soley at the drivers discretion. Most put a decent fence post (reinforcing) behind the drivers seat, for protection in rollovers, Driver window nets are compulsory, no glass on the vehicle, wire reinforcing mesh has to be put in place of the windscreen. the drivers side door is allowed as much strengthening as you want. It is the only part of the car that is allowed to be filled with concrete.

Obviously this is not a demo derby and will be strictly non contact I assume? But due to the increased speed capability safety must be the main focus.. Would it defeat the purpose of an endurance race if the speed was controlled, by means such as obstacles and slaloms etc. Rollcages/racing seats/harnesses will cost far more than the actuall cars themselves.

If speed was eliminated would it be neccesary to have rollcages/racing seats/harnesses? Mandatory rollover protection to protect the driver i agree with. but full rollcage, racing seat and harness I think could be eliminated.

At the end of the day there will be marshall's who have the discretion to Black flag any driver they see fit behaving badly.

it is 100% non contact

you cant have obsticals to go through as that means the track has to be re-graded, which cost lots of money

you cant have obsticals to go through as that means the track has to be re-graded, which cost lots of money

I understand now. High speed dunga's sounds dangerous.. AND SO MUCH FUN!!.. what standard will the rollcages have to meet?

if you put a rollcage in it has to meet all the regulations of having a cage with a normal track car, so it would probably end up costing alot more than your car would be worth.

the whole idea is for people to buy cheap cars, strip them, paint them crazy paint schemes then try to last the race and have a whole lotta fun while doing so.

Helemts and flame retardant overalls will be compulsory tho

James, you mention you must need a competitors licence. Whats this? All this sounds to complicated for us normals.

its $135 and you apply with it using this form

edit, so if your in a team of 2 your costs would be somthing like

$500 on a car

$100 on fuel

$135 on a license each

~$75 entry fee

so if you split costs that would be ~$400 each the first time, then events following all your cost's would be about $100 each, each time, depending if you car survives

Edited by Jamez

Clubsport's only $60 James.

yeah i know, but my dad recon's that competitors can't use a clubsport license as the event is not being run by a club or some jargon

i'll look into it further

Why not $800 limit - minimal mods- grass track that will turn into dirt. Keep it windy so speed stays down. Car just has to pass a quick inspection before the start.

Keep costs down and red tape to a min i say. No license BS

Why not $800 limit - minimal mods- grass track that will turn into dirt. Keep it windy so speed stays down. Car just has to pass a quick inspection before the start.

Keep costs down and red tape to a min i say. No license BS

I see benefits and appeals to both approaches. There is the fun of a high speed track, just like a real race series in a dunga - but unfortunatly there is a bigger cost and all the red tape, and cotton wool which venues have to impose due to certain clowns who don't like bum smacking and ear pulling... but we wont get into that issue...

And then there is the hillbilly approach who like bum smacking and ear pulling :) "lets just use common sense" approach have it in a large open area and slow it right down so you are only going to die if you are really stupid. And just have fun.. But we will probably all end up in court for making too much noise and sending dust onto 1000 year old Pohutukawa trees 50 miles down the road..