Sign in to follow this  
Jamez

LeMons New Zeland

just thinking about...

If we trailer a car to an event do we need WOF and Rego?

I'm quite sure you don't. Some cars turn up to trackdays/hillclimbs/etc with just a logbook - no plates, no reg, no wof.

edit: beaten ^

Edited by JiB

Safety requirements are here, basically the difference between Clubsport and National Race - is only the apparel - 2 layers of Fire Retardant Material, the vehicle requirements are the same. The responsibility of making sure that the car is safe is actually on the driver/entrant.

MNZ Schedule A Link

Suggest that wording like "but cars will be inspected to make sure they are safe" is not a statement that you want to make, as since the advent of H&S and OSH, the technical description is a safety audit. This is to stop the organisers being sued or prosecuted when an item that wasn't checked - like a kingpin collapsing because you couldn't cracktest it. If you have inspected the car, and deemed it safe to race, you are potentially libel - it's crazy but is the reason the MNZ stopped "safety checking" scrutineering a number of years ago.

The vehicle rules for the Intermarque series might be a good starting point for standard vs modified.

As the organisers you set the vehicle criteria, what equals standard vs modified.

In Schedule A, there is no requirement for modified vehicles to run roll protection.

Definition thereof:

A Standard car is one that in its present specification could have been driven off the showroom floor.

A Modified car is one which includes any mechanical modification, whether homologated or not, that enhances performance on the track.

Definition of Standard

Bodywork - factory standard including brightwork, except hubcaps, non-performance extras are ok e.g. towbar, sunroof, bonnet locking device. Rollcages are deemed to be a non-performance extra.

Interior - all fittings as per standard, except for front seats. 3 point or harness belts are required.

Drivetrain - all as per factory specifications, excepting air-cleaners.

Exhaust - as per Appendix J 2.3.5. Rotary engined cars with extractors are in the Modified Class.

Tyres - minimum of 50% profile, road-legal (DOT) tyres with WOF standard tread depth.

Wheels - mag and steels ok, so long as width is no greater than 12mm over factory, and diameter no greater than 1 inch above factory.

Brakes - friction pad material is free, dual circuit system enhancements for safety ok, rest unmodified.

Suspension - shock absorbers are free, bushes can be upgraded, ride height to remain standard.

General - ancillary components to remain in original locations.

Edited by rxsumo

Update:

Event is going to be held November the 6th with the intent of reoccurring the first friday evening of each month. The Entry Fee is $75 permitting there are more than 20 cars,$60 with 30 cars or $50 with 40 cars.

Driver requirements are that the driver will need to hold a current national race license, IIRC costs $135

All cars will have to run under schedule A and will be scrutineerd before the race, cars will not require a log book.

Transponders will be required, If you want to rent one its $30 each time.

Spread the word :)

so what had we decided on for the price of the vehicle? and the schedule A requirements are as in your previous post? no wof or reg required? just bought a de-reg'd rover 220 turbo for $600 to sell for bits but its completely driveable, could be keen to turn it into a thrasher.

so what had we decided on for the price of the vehicle? and the schedule A requirements are as in your previous post? no wof or reg required? just bought a de-reg'd rover 220 turbo for $600 to sell for bits but its completely driveable, could be keen to turn it into a thrasher.

At the moment $700 as its enough for you to buy a $500 car and spend $200 on fixing say a broken water pump ect ect as that seems to be a problem with most cheap cars

Cars will not need a W.O.F or Reg but will need to comply with Schedule A

At the moment $700 as its enough for you to buy a $500 car and spend $200 on fixing say a broken water pump ect ect as that seems to be a problem with most cheap cars

Cars will not need a W.O.F or Reg but will need to comply with Schedule A

does that price of $700 include safety items like tyres and brake pads?

when everything is finalized I will put up entry Forms, expecting it to take 1-2 weeks

Edited by Jamez

are there going to be off-set times for turbo'd cars?? Similar to the Intermarque Series run by The Surgery or will it be anything goes in terms of engines etc as long as the car is under $700??

Laurence

Another question on the after-race buying rule... what if they car cost $700, and we've spent $1500 on safety... do we still have to sell it if someone wants it for $1k?

Guest FrantiC

Would be soo keen if I still had my old lada, but it probably doesn't meet any of the standard haha.

Cool idea though.

are there going to be off-set times for turbo'd cars?? Similar to the Intermarque Series run by The Surgery or will it be anything goes in terms of engines etc as long as the car is under $700??

Laurence

anything goes in terms of engines etc as long as the car is under $700?? turbo are less likely to last the 2hours im guessing

Another question on the after-race buying rule... what if they car cost $700, and we've spent $1500 on safety... do we still have to sell it if someone wants it for $1k?

that $1000 figure is only to stop people cheating, I dont want to buy a piece of junk, but if someone spends $3k on performonce mods its more liekly they will be refused entry.

Just an update, the lemons site is going to be wiped and a new site put up either tomorrow or Friday, the new address will be www.lemons2hour.com , it wont be free hosting so it shouldn't be soooooo slooooow

Hey James, just a thought, but wouldn't you be better to up the Dollar value to around the $1500 mark as a buy price? Thought being, that at $700 you will be getting a few suspect cars which will be naturally unsafe, dangerous, and likely to drop their guts all over the track. At $1500, which is still very cheap and affordable, you will at least be able to get something which can still be sound and more safe. Just my 2c worth.

at $1500 you start getting twin turbo wrecks, at $700 you can only really buy cars that arn't that powerful.

its got to get through scrutineering to race, i doubt somthing thats going to spew its guts out is going to make it out onto the track

time will tell

whats the happs with running the same car twice?

Do you get anouther 700 to spend on the car, because the initial 700 on cost of purchase has been done?

nah, but then if something serious breaks, the cars useless

might have to write the rule if you complete 25% or more of the race, you get $500 in repair money or something along those lines

hmmmm

Edited by Jamez

it would mean that the car can be developed over time and it would be great as a conversion from road car to racecar for people....

but then you get people new to the series in they 700 banger and people 4 races in that have 2k+ in the car

Edit: thats actually no tooo big a deal. 2k isn't too much

James, you said tyres are free for upgrade... does that mean i can go by new semi slicks for it? Also brakes are free, does that mean i can upgrade the brakes to what ever i want??? I.E. upgrade from 205 brakes to 307 brakes which is a performance upgrade vs new pads and fuild for the 205 (maybe a seal kit) brakes...????

Edited by DRTDVL

hmm there is no reason we cant have different class withen the same race

how about the first time you compete you must meet the $700 rule then have after that you can either compete in the $1000 category, $1500 or $2000 category

just an idea

Now that sounds better to me, gives you some incentive to work with the car between events as well.

1/4'rly races?

Gives the poorer racers time to work on the car...

Edited by DRTDVL

Keep it simple. Or interest is gone from me. Will just stick to racing in the E30 class.