Sign in to follow this  
Jamez

LeMons New Zeland

i like the idea,have followed a few guys in the states with clapped out e28's etc.

heaps of fun.i'm sure i could resurect a pile of s**t or two.

for the sake of a simple license,i've no issue with that.

its not that abigger deal,most folks can blow that sort of $$'s in a night on the town. :rolleyes:

lets not bury this idea just yet

m

+1 Marty, don't want to let this die, or maybe just get a good group together and hire the track for the twilight zone for $500. Only $50 each if we get 10 people, for 2 and 1/2 hrs of pleasure, once a month over the summer?

This going to be bimmersport only?

+1 Marty, don't want to let this die, or maybe just get a good group together and hire the track for the twilight zone for $500. Only $50 each if we get 10 people, for 2 and 1/2 hrs of pleasure, once a month over the summer?

I will be there either way... as long as im not forking out for the safety equipment for a once off. Once a month would be well worth a full roll cage build.. I would rethink using an M20 engine though...

Grass = Would not attend

Track = Would attend

Grass = Would not attend

Track = Would attend

x2.

I have the car in my garage. 1.3 power, i would only need $20 gass.

it will deff be on a track, ive written up some rules which my dad is going to forward to motorsport NZ, hopefully motorsport NZ will let us do our own thing i.e. no competition driver licenses ect, to keep cost down as that's the point of the whole thing, cheap fun :)

also made up a basic website, its got the rules in the forum.

Linky

also was thinking would be funto have a bit of forum rivalry going on, ie Bimmersport Work's team ect ect :) sound if you use nz forums might be a good idea to spread the word around.

last thing to say is that this could be a monthly thing on a friday evening starting november on the national track as track hire is only $1150 for twilight.

entry for the first meet will be about $75 depending if i have to pay liability insurance or if Motorsport NZ will cover it by giving me a permit to run the event.

Just an idea, but you could always do it the way they run amatuer races in Finland, like in Topgear season 12, Episode 3.

All cars at the start of the race are given a nominal, equal value. If, at the end of the race, someone wishes to buy your car for that price, you must sell it to them. No choice involved, keeps costs quite low and no "cheaters" putting in big budget parts etc.

I can make up a special forum section on eurosport.org.nz if you want jamez

Better start hunting for a quick cheap VAG :P

hmmm there are some cheap pugs floating about these days...

mmm dont know 'bout cheap pugs, nothing cheap enough,unless you know of one.......?

although,have seen a couple of 1.5 33 type alpha's. gimmi gimmi gimmi

mmm dont know 'bout cheap pugs, nothing cheap enough,unless you know of one.......?

although,have seen a couple of 1.5 33 type alpha's. gimmi gimmi gimmi

i've seen 4 205's in the last 3 months go for less than a grand... and a couple of 309's for less than 1200...

there was a 309 auction that went for 1500, that came with a spare parts car.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-233579639.htm - less than 250 if you know people to get on the road...

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-233304935.htm - not bad at the moment. the people bidding at the moment will want it for parts...

Edited by DRTDVL

I love how they enforce the rules:

Twelve hours into the race, the car voted People’s Choice is called in and awarded a cash prize; simultaneously, the car voted People’s Curse is called in and summarily destroyed.

# 4.4: BS Factor: To prevent cheating, all cars will be inspected by a panel appointed by the organizers. At that time, all teams will be given an opportunity to describe the car's purchase and prep. If the panel believes the limit set out in Rule 4.1 has been exceeded, it will assign a Bullshit Factor (BSF) equal to one BSF per $10 above the limit. The entry will be docked one lap for each BSF assigned. (Ten dollars = one BSF = one lap.) Entrants are very, very, exceedingly strongly encouraged to bring pre-race-prep photographs, verifiable receipts, notarized testimonials, plus any and all other supporting evidence to Tech/BS Inspection. Or at least make up plausible-sounding stories in advance.

o 4.4.1: Appeal of BSF Panel Decisions: Get real. There's no appealing this decision. You're boned.

IF YOU CRUSH MY CAR, CAN I SAVE THE SEATBELTS AND STUFF?

It kinda depends on how mad we are at you, but yeah, we'll give you a chance to pull out the belts and bars and anything else safety-related. Just make sure you're not still inside when the steam shovel arrives.

Can't make up your mind James,Posted Image is it 2.1 $800, 4.1 $750, or 4.1 $700 as the cost? :rolleyes:

wooops, changed it, i'll finalize entry costs once Motorsport NZ get back to me on how cheaply I can run it, i.e. how many of there regulations we have to follow, mainly safety requirements and license requirements.

it will deff be on a track, ive written up some rules which my dad is going to forward to motorsport NZ, hopefully motorsport NZ will let us do our own thing i.e. no competition driver licenses ect, to keep cost down as that's the point of the whole thing, cheap fun :)

I haven't read the whole topic, but if you intend running a flag started endurance race, at a MNZ sanctioned track, I would suggest that as an absolute minimum you will need a competition race licence, and a double layer fire resistant suit, as per MNZ rules, and its extremely unlikely that MNZ will excempt you from this.

The other issue you might encounter if you decide that you dont want to run under MNZ (because of the desire to keep this thing cheap), is that most tracks wont allow racing unless it has a MNZ permit - racing usually defined as flag controlled grid start group of vehicles.

Also if you decide to not go down the MNZ path, I would be getting legal advise on how the OSH rules and regs apply to you. If your dad and you are the organisers, you might find yourself personally libel for a whole swag of grief if anything goes wrong. Think Queenstown Street race a few years back, when the Police took a case against the organisers....I wouldnt have wanted to foot the legal bill....it cost MNZ a heap!

I've been down this path with car clubs over a number of years, and come to the conclusion that it isnt that easy to do it "on your own", and the potential for getting into a whole swag of hurt...is pretty good

cheers for the heads up, this will conform any way M.N.Z. want it too, The only argument that is going to be pushed is the one of what level of license is required, i.e. either Clubsport or National Race. My dad has run many race meets before so I trust his word and he is also involved in the running Hampton Downs so I'm not going to organise this whole thing to find out i'm not alowed to run the event there, every dicision I make is passed through him.

With your advice towards flame retardendt suits, the rules have a passage that states all cars must conform to schedual K, meaning all drivers must have a certified helmet and ovaralls, also all cars must have a rollcage ect if modified.

Basically if motorsport N.Z. give me a permit I don't have to pay liability insurance and the permit might be on the basis of only requiring a clubsport license, If they dont, I have to pay $800p/a in liability insurance and competitors will need a national race license.

Edited by Jamez

cheers for the heads up, this will conform any way M.N.Z. want it too, The only argument that is going to be pushed is the one of what level of license is required, i.e. either Clubsport or National Race. My dad has run many race meets before so I trust his word and he is also involved in the running Hampton Downs so I'm not going to organise this whole thing to find out i'm not alowed to run the event there, every dicision I make is passed through him.

At the moment, the closest you can get to a race meeting on a clubsport licence - is the "multicar sprint", which allows for a grid start of more than two cars, however is still bound by the sprint total length criteria - effectively three laps at Manfeild, the old "club racing" on a non-race licence was removed when the clubsport licences were introduced, and any attempt to reinstate has been rejected. the multicar sprint was accepted as the "bridge" between sprints and racing.

With your advice towards flame retardendt suits, the rules have a passage that states all cars must conform to schedual K, meaning all drivers must have a certified helmet and ovaralls, also all cars must have a rollcage ect if modified.

I hope you mean schedule A, as K is for Historics, and there is no requirement for a rollcage unless the sole purpose for the car is Motorsport - this could be an issue for the series, as to get a Motorsport cage in the car probably is going to cost $1500 minimum - MNZ have been cracking down on the manufacture of Rollcages of late, and one of the local guys down here, who has been building cages for a while, reckons its not worth the hassle anymore

Basically if motorsport N.Z. give me a permit I don't have to pay liability insurance and the permit might be on the basis of only requiring a clubsport license, If they dont, I have to pay $800p/a in liability insurance and competitors will need a national race license.

Have you discussed with your insurer exactly what you are intending to do? We tried getting 3rd Party Liability insurance for one of the car clubs I'm involved with, and when we discussed what the potential coverage was for, they basically didnt want to know, and told us to join up with MNZ, and they made sure that the pricing was more than the likely cost of MNZ membership.

maybe it is schedule A, this event was only drafted last night so nothing is near finalized, my argument towards Motorsport NZ is that there is no grassroots racing, everything is so expensive these days, hence why it is mainly older people that can afford to race, this is an oppurtunity for uni students and people without the funds to race properly and have a good time doing so. If they do relax regulation it will probably result in the implementation of a minimum lap time to stop people going to fast.

All will be revealed once Motorsport N.Z. reply, hopefully the fun police won't ruin the event.

Edited by Jamez

Great idea James, hope this takes off, it would be brilliant to have some entry-level driving events in this country.

requirements cant really be decided on until Motorsport NZ have their say, im hoping for standard cars can run as standard cars and modified cars will have to have a rollcage ect ect

might have to write the rule in that no modifications can be made to the car and that all parts on the car must be factory, that would keep the cars relatively slow and mean that no one would need a rollcage ect ect

all I can do is guess what their verdict will be.

Edited by Jamez

just thinking about...

If we trailer a car to an event do we need WOF and Rego?

I ask because i know a couple 205's that are sitting dereged... that would be perfect for this!

Edited by DRTDVL

no, but cars will be inspected to make sure they are safe, i.e. no rust on suspension mounts or seats mounts, seats are secure ect ect

Edited by Jamez