Sign in to follow this  
tibbs.james

Some Cool new toys for my 300zx

Very nice work mate. Must be handing being able to do alot of the stuff by yourself.

I am one of the VERY VERY VERY lucky people to have access to a spacious work area with a welder,compressor,cut off saw, Drill press & all other sorts of tools.

Its not really so much about ability just having the space and the gear to actually do it.

All the same though I always make an effort to help out my mates, I even spent 3 weekends in the rain and mud helping Riley with his v8 as some people are not as lucky as me to have the space and tools to do the work

Oh yes thanks for the Compliment :rolleyes: makes it all seem worthwhile ha.

Edited by Jimmy

Thats awesome mate, cant wait to see the thing finished! i will flick you a text about helpin out this w.e

Yup

I'm going for a WOF on monday ....eeeekk see what they can come up with to fail me on

noisey exhaust? lol moisture in a lense maybe? or possibly a hairline crack in the lense:P depends where you go i suppose.

I Got Started on my 3" exhaust today

Because I can't be stuffed building it go through the sub frame I am just going underneath, Car wont be real low or anything so it will be similar scrapage to an E30

Real simple 3" from the turbo right to the tip.

I still need to make the section from the sub frame to the down pipe

Just a word of warning if you don't have a very relaxed WOF inspector:

I had that exact muffler on the E30 when I first got it on the road, and DAM was it LOUD!!!!

I'll find a clip of it somewhere. Try this!?!

I grabbed a low profile 40 series flowmaster and put that in the middle and it was super quiet.

Before I pulled off the road it was running just the 40'er at the rear (due to a driveshaft CSB change), and it was a bit on the loud side, but not like the original setup.

Edited by E30-323ti

That clip would be handy,

I have since decided to have a mid section muffler as well as a rear section muffler to help quiet things down.

It would be a bitch if it was still too loud after 2 muffler and a turbo to quieten it down

WOOHOO

James now has full insurance cover for $9000 fire theft & glass

= Makes me happy

the bad is its going to set me back $700 a year

the price you pay for being 20 and owning a modified 3.0 turbo ..

Edited by Jimmy

Oh Yes I do mean $700

and I have more exhaust building pictures too

Zaust goes under the sub frame E30 style, originally it goes over but the gap is too tight to get a 3" pipe in there.

So far it seems quite easy to build it under the car

Front section to turbo down pipe will be done tonight and then i need to add some rubber hangers

and its almost WOF time

post-1885-1260481516.jpg

post-1885-1260481525.jpg

post-1885-1260481536.jpg

post-1885-1260481551.jpg

Looks sweet! Is that a mitsi intercooler on the Hilux?

Graham for the hilux

Yup its a vr4 Inter cooler core with my own mandrel bent piping on there,

More power more fuel economy, and engine temps lower = good because those 2.4 turbo diesels tend to crack heads

( mine has a brand new head along with full engine build + new pistons ect )

Auto clicks into top at much lower rpm which makes cruising along 50km roads much better to deal with

Can you insure as a classic car? (parked in a gge, used as a second car, mileage limit). Will be MUCH cheaper.

CamB

I was very keen on the Classic Car / Vero this my original Plan and it was going smoothly until they asked my age ( 20 ) turning 21 in Feb

None of the regular companies wanted anything to do with it as I was under 25

AMI subsidiary CLIC had a cheaper premium by about $200 but their excess was about $500 more

I am actually most impressed with auto club as much as their TV add sucks balls they do actually have quite a good deal going on for young people and the insurance is very comprehensive for modified cars.

It seems like even with a perfect driving record and 5 years insurance ( no claims ) companies still don't care about you.

PM JiB and ask what deal he got on his race car - was under 21 when they signed him up (I think, and not by much). Its a few hundy a year and 5,000km limit. Am pretty sure it is Classic Cover - http://www.classiccover.co.nz/ - they insure my race car for not much too, but I'm old.

Just a word of warning if you don't have a very relaxed WOF inspector:

I had that exact muffler on the E30 when I first got it on the road, and DAM was it LOUD!!!!

I'll find a clip of it somewhere. Try this!?!

I grabbed a low profile 40 series flowmaster and put that in the middle and it was super quiet.

Before I pulled off the road it was running just the 40'er at the rear (due to a driveshaft CSB change), and it was a bit on the loud side, but not like the original setup.

E30-323ti

We have had the finished exhaust on the car and its nice and quiet but with a nice growling sound

Edit > full exhaust system pic added ( crap pic I know )

Very respectable noise levels similar to an unmodified car just with a LOT LOT nicer sound to it.

Bad news is one of my injectors isn't firing so i have to rip apart half the car to change that with a spare one.

post-1885-1260594569.jpg

Edited by Jimmy

E30-323ti

We have had the finished exhaust on the car and its nice and quiet but with a nice growling sound

Edit > full exhaust system pic added ( crap pic I know )

Very respectable noise levels similar to an unmodified car just with a LOT LOT nicer sound to it.

Bad news is one of my injectors isn't firing so i have to rip apart half the car to change that with a spare one.

Glad to read it is nice & quite for you!

Nice looking exhaust you've built there too!!

Thanks for the complement !!

It was quite fun to build and very do able for anybody with a mig welder a hacksaw and some decent files, i could not use the cut off saw half of the time due to the awkward shape of the mandrel bends.

Edited by Jimmy

GRRRRRRRRR frustrating

Looks Like I have 2 replace 2 more dodgy injectors this time instead of not working they seem to be stuck open or something and just fouling up 2 individual plugs.

Hopefully

I can get it running smoothly tonight

Vid's will be made as soon as its not running like a bad of assholes :rolleyes:

Well

Drove down the road

Bonnet flipped up at 70kmh

Car is fine I'm fine

Bonnet is a ruined mess

this is my spare bonnet because the other bonnet the came came with is also destroyed from Previous Owner

I can't even express how mad / depressed / frustrated and sad I am about this

No more Datsun for Christmas time

2009 has been ruined

Carnage pics Tomorow

that sucks! so sorry to hear man!!! if the car has owned two bonnets maybe bonnet pins in the future for extra security?

thanks Andrew

Yes I think its getting bonnet pins this time too,

due to where there is a massive crease its going to take one hell of a panel beater

^ Bugger. As I said in one of my threads, what doesn't kill you/your car makes you stronger. Keep truck'n dude.