Sign in to follow this  
tibbs.james

Some Cool new toys for my 300zx

It's actually a fully rebuilt Garrett with an Air Research Front cover. But yes it id an older turbo.

As far as i can tell the quality of it seems as good as any other turbo i have seen.

Edited by Jimmy

Itss actually a fully rebuilt Garrett with an Air Research Front cover. But yes it as older turbo

As far as i can tell the quality if it seems as good as any other turbo i have seen.

That's cool, as long as it's not like the weak and sad m10....

How much power or what quarter times do you think you will be happy with?

I'm not going for huge power, Reliable 350hp at the wheels is my goal once i get a decent fuel system sorted out.

I am hoping for a decent 13.5 second quarter Mile once its all tuned and run in

Cool project.

My old neighbour (Steve) used to own one of these, he spend a lot of time and money on it and the thing was an absolute machine, to this day it's still the fastest car I've ever driven.

When or if you come to Christchurch Ollie you are welcome to come for a ride :rolleyes:

And for a mini Update my shiny New RPM heavy Duty Clutch Kit arrived, if it can hold the torque I will be very happy. As after seeing what happened to Jason's Gearbox I would rather a slippy clutch than a pile of broken metal.

post-1885-1254451576.jpg

post-1885-1254452513.jpg

Edited by Jimmy

13.5! Maybe that on a sh*t launch! I'd expect in the 12's from you, you smart cookie.

I do heart your suspension. It makes a hell of a difference having good dampers.

13.5! Maybe that on a sh*t launch! I'd expect in the 12's from you, you smart cookie.

I do heart your suspension. It makes a hell of a difference having good dampers.

I would expect a good launch and nice run would push a 12.8/12.7 in a Z31 with that kind of power too. All depends on the tyres and launch though.

They are fairly heavy cars to get moving Not as bad as a Supra but still quite heavy.

a decent Launch on slicks could possibly hit that sort of time, on the other hand it could snap the input shaft of twist a stub axle into 2 pieces like this one.....

post-1885-1254473411.jpg

Pretty Boring Update

I had the case of my Borg Warner T5 Gearbox ( basically a Ford mustang V8 gearbox ), all looks mint and clean inside, but its going out for New Bearings regardless. 320,000kms eh.

Flywheel is being Lightened by a tiny bit and Balanced with the new clutch assembly.

Now I have 2 weeks to sit around and wait for all this cool stuff to arrive.

Fitted My Ricer Blue Painted Front swaybar.

Put on tension rods and adjusted a few bits and pieces.

Another total bonus was the original Oil Line fittings from the old turbo match the new turbo perfectly !!

Clocked to the turbo to fit pretty good, compressor cover needs more adjustment depending on where Inter cooler piping goes.

post-1885-1254617811.jpg

post-1885-1254617839.jpg

So which side of the engine does that primo looking turbo sit? My inital guess would be the left side looking towards the front, lots of space there..

And what route does the exhaust from the 3 cylinders on the other side take to get there?

There is a crossover pipe that runs behind the engine block by the fire wall that brings it into the turbo entry flange,

when you look at manifolds laid out it makes a big U bend shape ( oem manifolds )

i wont be fitting my fancy ones if I'm going to make the track day.

This is what mine are loosely based from.

and yeah turbo sits on passenger side of the car

its a mish mash of a setup hence why I put my best efforts into building my own custom manifolds which will have both pipes merging behild the engine and a single feed pipe to the turbo to keep the length as even as possible

post-1885-1254692227.jpg

I love your idea of having them meet behind the engine, and then a single pipe going to the turbo. Should help spool time considerably!

Very cool project! Keep the updates coming. Nice to see something different as well

Probably a useless picture and an unworthy bump....

Imagine the turbo totally underneath that manifold and a 2 into one merge collector right where that flex join is,

the alternative is to keep each side split right up to the turbo, this would necessitate an interesting loop of pipework on the driver side but it could be better due to the turbo being twin scroll with twin internal waste gates.

However its all talk at the moment because these wont be on the car right away, the cost to finish the pipe work, buy the flanges and re route brake lines and tig weld + ceramic coated is far to much time and money , good things take time. I wont rush these.

It blows my mind that people still make 500hp on those old shitty manifolds like you see there.

post-1885-1254710787.jpg

Today I have just Purchased some really quite awesome engine management software for the factory ECU to allow real time tuning map tracing and diagnostics

The Boys At NZEFI in CHCH are doing me a great deal on it as they will no doubt take away all my money after i go to the dyno on the 8th December

Its Called Nistune and here is a screen shot of what it can do

In other news I will be turning a pile of tubes into a down pipe I will get pics when it has been built

post-1885-1254796523.jpg

Well A fairly Boring Update

But I made the important part of the exhaust So that I can at least start the car without getting as much fumes in the engine bay.

Came out good yah ?

I will probably get another meter of pipe put onto that waste gate pipe to keep the disruption of exhaust flow to a minimum then merge it back in for legal reasons ........ :unsure:

Ordered a water pump for $53 but not a thermostat as I refuse to pay $70

Might as well get a Nismo low temp one for that price

post-1885-1254987052.jpg

post-1885-1254987081.jpg

Yesterday My Machine shop man gave me a call to say my cylinder heads were ready.

So i got right into it.

Heads were tested, faced, 3 angle valve job with 30deg back cut, 8mm exhaust studs were drilled to 10mm and re fitted with special order high tensile ones.

Fitted up with kelford cams & Schneider double valve springs.

And of course with any engine rebuild Camblet,Waterpump,Tensioner & Thermostat.

Still Waiting on exhaust manifolds & Gearbox to come back from my engineering.

Tomorrow I will hopefully get all the accessories cleaned painted & bolted up.

post-1885-1256362616.jpg

post-1885-1256362625.jpg

Edited by Jimmy

That's grouse dude.

Haha "Grouse"

that made my day.

Haha "Grouse"

that made my day.

Glad to be of assistance.

It is looking rather tasty though isn't it?

This is pretty much it Nearly ready to nail the gearbox onto the back ( when it arrives from its rebuild )

The timing marks are not on the piss the white marks are not in the right place.

I am happy with this weekends progress, just need those exhaust manifolds ....

post-1885-1256530434.jpg