Sign in to follow this  
tibbs.james

Some Cool new toys for my 300zx

Its coming together nicely mate. Will be a beast when its finished

Very sharp Jimmy, cant wait to drive it

I can't wait to give the party pedal a squeeze myself.

The closest i have come to driving this car is sit behind the seat and make pretend vroom vroom engine noises.

Nice work.

This one rules my face. Big smiles and dreams.

Posted Image

Edited by Apex

that is the 88-89 Face lift Z31 nearly all of them were LHD and sold in America

the rounded front end is a popular swap for my early style Z31

That car shown has an aftermarket front Lip with Datsun 240ZG Flares on it

I do believe that guy is on the Z31 forums I visit and sold his S13 drift car to build and drift in that.

I got some good work done on my day off (Friday) and all of satturday

It mat not look like much, but to clean all the brackets,port match exhayst manifolds, find the correct bolts, paint up heat sheilds ect

It all takes a lot more time than expected.

however after all of this the engine fits as snug as anything, the turbo side is fairly close to the frame rail however the engine mount was shimmed slightly to give ample clearance.

All going to plan 4 or 5pm Sunday Afternoon it should be all wired up and running

post-1885-1256977419.jpg

Everything is connected up to make it run,

Oil pressure came up really quick so i can concentrate on getting it fired and timed correctly on the dizzy.

Some wiring needs tidied up but I am not so concerned as the whole intake manifold has to be removed to allow proper access to change over to double valve springs once the cams have done their 20 minutes to allow the surfaces to harden.

( Cams have to be run in on the outer spring only when fitted with higher spring rates )

With some new petrol I am hoping for a sweet running engine..

watch this space for a start up video

post-1885-1257055856.jpg

Good f**ken effort man! You must've worked solid all day. Can't wait to see this on the road.

Thanks Mark

It has been a lot of work and there is still a LOT More to go

But i feel Like I am on the home stretch after such a long time off the road.

Will you be at Ruapuna taking photos and video ?

Just another wee bit of an Update

Engine is in the car ready to run, however I am being held up by the offending Gearbox.

Here you can see the Gearbox Stripped down at the engineers waiting for these 2 crazy difficult to find bearings to come in from the USA

this has been holding me up for ages and is why the engine is in the car without the gearbox As i simply have to press on and get all the work done, even if it means fitting the box under the car

( no big deal I have done my old E30 twice and the 300zx has a removable bell housing meaning I can fit the bell housing then fit the gearbox onto the back of it for a really easily accessible change over )

you can also see my polyurethane semi solid gearbox mount & Cross member mount so that this will complement the engine mounts, the bushings taped up have been filled up to reduce flexing to make it all nice and solid.

Last of all you can see how much a pain in the ass this bearing is, very sepcific only the one company makes them and no other brand has a matching part

very frustrating

post-1885-1257283885.jpg

post-1885-1257283893.jpg

post-1885-1257283900.jpg

post-1885-1257283906.jpg

post-1885-1257283913.jpg

post-1885-1257284123.jpg

post-1885-1257284129.jpg

for what it's worth, if anything at this later stage, My old man works at Wilson Brothers on Annex Road, and they deal in bearings primarily and engineering supplies, so if you need anything else bearing wise PM me and i'll chuck you his details, He's on the engineering supplies side BUT im sure he will have someone there who could help out

HT you have PM :rolleyes:

If anybody else can Google up a storm Post any info for

Torrington DK-55836 Drawn Cup Needle Roller Bearing

Timken bearings list it as a wheel bearing and this is incorrect

HT your dad and his crew did it !

He had a guy working on it before I had even phoned up and his work made phoned me at 5pm to say they found a bearing in Australia and they were also chasing up another lead on the same one for a lower cost.

I was told to sit down before they told me the price :( 190 + GST + Shipping

but i am still over the moon as they are the first people who can actually get one. A transmission shop in Chch has a dusty box on their shelf that is supposed to be the correct bearing, so i have sent a mate into Chch with a sample to check it out.

Either Way I know I can get one, but it has taken since Friday last week to find one.

Glad they could help! yeah i'd given them all the details you posted on here for a head start haha

Andrew your dad & the Wilson Bro's Team is Awesome

The bearing which was going to cost around $250 all up ended up costing around $180, so i decided to buy some Taps,dies, handles & holders at the same time.

He also did me a trade price on those tools too.

Even if i need to drive into Christchurch from Rangiora to buy tools or engineering supplies It is absolutely worth the effort as I was very very well looked after in such a busy shop

I could not be happier as these guys have made it able to meet my deadline to have my car at the Track day for the 22nd.

Nobody else could get the bearing for another 4 weeks and even then it was out of stock.

Thats Awesome! Glad they got it sorted for you mate!

300zx, it is alive !!!!!!!!!

mawhahahaa

and it sounds a bit evil with an open 3" exhaust elbow

Edited by Jimmy

Hahaha thanks guys.

Its running pretty rough, need to get the timing light on there & to check all the plug gaps etc in case there is a cylinder missing a little bit

But DAM you can hear those Cams pulse away

I have just rebuilt the clutch master cylinder & bleeding it is such a god dam mission, Nissan decided to put a damper in between the master and the slave to make a 1 step bleeding process seem like a 12 step bleeding process

But yeah If I can get the exhaust built in time & the valve springs changed over I think I can make my appointment for the DYNO on the 21st

Nice one champ, sounds disturbing in a good way

I Got Started on my 3" exhaust today

Because I can't be stuffed building it go through the sub frame I am just going underneath, Car wont be real low or anything so it will be similar scrapage to an E30

Real simple 3" from the turbo right to the tip.

I still need to make the section from the sub frame to the down pipe

post-1885-1260251862.jpg

post-1885-1260251871.jpg