Sign in to follow this  
mackt

Euro options to replace the Subaru

Hi

My wife is getting sick of the Outback for carting the kids around and maybe getting in the zone for a change -wants something "sporty". It is the car we take away for holidays and it has a ton of room for kids stuff, and the pod fits too.

But a hatch with some boot space and the pod on the roof may be OK

Options:

Audi A3 3.2 DSG 5 Door Hatch

Audi A4 3.0 Wagon

Golf GTi/R32

Renault Megane - but the J-Lo butt maybe a deal breaker

I took a VW Passatt W8 for a drive yesterday - smooth but no where near the 540 for fun.

The other option is a change the 540 for a wagon - anyone had a 530i Touring?

Suggestions?

Thanks

Tim

skoda vrs diesel...

peugeot 407 2.7 twin turbo diesel

both wagons... the 407 has the funky glass roof...

I found the A3 very very small inside and the door opennings also when we looked at them for mom...

What can you afford to spend ??

I reckon the $35K mark

Not sure about the 330i, but an A4 is small inside esp in the rear.

What about a 3.0R Legacy or Turbo GT? Both much sportier drives than an Outback. Impreza WRX Hatch?

Left field call, what about a Mondeo ST220 (think that's what it's called) wagon? 3 ltr V6, sports suspension, etc.

I would go audi a4 3.0.

I quite like the look of these

I guess it would be good if it were 4wd as we have the odd bit of snow ice and ski field excusions.

skoda vrs diesel...

I agree - great car.

I reckon the $35K mark

The Octavia VRS is on run out at the moment, you should be able to pick up an ex demo car for close to the $35k mark (IIRC there were a couple advertised at $39,990). Fantastic car with VW's 125kw diesel and DSG trans.

I wouldn't bother going down the Audi, BMW, Merc route unless you are happy with something at least 3+ years old with average kms.

Like the Skoda, there are plenty of other "outside the square" bargain wagons around. I don't know if I could recommend one, but I have seen a few near new and demo Saab 9-3 SportCombi's for under $40k. Passat wagon, or Volvo V50/V70 could also be worth considering.

Also, if you are looking at an A3, you would be mad to buy one over a Golf - you are getting less for more.

This is where my 35k would be spent given I had your requirements. NZ new with leather, DSG or conventional Manual, both are fantastic, quality build, attractive and trendy styling, safety features for Africa and one hell of a drive, only hatch that drives better is the Megane but the Megane is compromised on so many levels it can’t compete as an all rounder. They seem expensive but these are the most popular vehicle in their respective class and hold their value very well.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-234485070.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-233504679.htm

Only down side is that the E39 will all of a sudden become very boring.

Not big on the Audi's, unless its an RS4 :mellow:

And as a kid my mum carted us three kids around in an E30 so no excuses on space, a modern 3door hatch has a bigger load capacity than my E30 Touring!

Edited by Apex

^^^ Family friend has one of those.

Fast cars and make a great sound. Very comfortable and personally I would say more than enough room to haul children around in it.

or wait until the new R20 comes out and buy an R32 :D

Not sure about the 330i, but an A4 is small inside esp in the rear.

What about a 3.0R Legacy or Turbo GT? Both much sportier drives than an Outback. Impreza WRX Hatch?

Left field call, what about a Mondeo ST220 (think that's what it's called) wagon? 3 ltr V6, sports suspension, etc.

Have never seen an ST220 Wagon for sale, and if I do it will be a new car for the mrs.

A rare beast as a sedan let alone a wagon!

Heaps of options out there tho with a 35k budget, Whatever you buy, Buy as later model as you can, more safety features etc espcially since your kids will be in the car alot.

Also like someone else said. Look at x demos.

Have never seen an ST220 Wagon for sale, and if I do it will be a new car for the mrs.

There was one for sale at the Porirua Ford Dealership about 18 months ago. Was electric blue, manual, NZ new and about $25k from memory.

After having owned Subarus for 11 years (they were great) we decided to go for an Audi A4 Avant quattro. It's the B5 model (1997 - 2002) with a 2.4 V6. We've had it now for nearly 3yrs and my wife loves it as its easy to drive, has good boot space (more usable space than the E39) and more economical than the Subaru. This model is now as cheap as chips with a flood of imports coming in. Not looking forward to the resale price!

If I were to sell it today it would probably be for another Audi, either an All Road with the 4.2 V8 rather than the 2.7T or an A6/S6 Avant to carry the ski gear etc.

A BMW Touring would be a great alternative but unfortunately no 4wd.

Being from Invercargill you also will see the merits of the quattro.

Horses for courses, mackt.

I don't think there is one answer to this (as I found out with our odysey in pain), and everyone has a slightly different take.

However, of all the vehicles we drove recently, we thought the Mk5 Golf was easily the best (daylight second, then the 307). And the TDi (with DSG) was chirping tyres in 2nd and 3rd gears (which put a smile on my dial :)). No idea what the GTi is like - only what I have heard, and based on the other models will be a fast, fun, practical well specced car (with safety features everywhere). Space wise they were much of a muchness compared to the 307, Focus etc - what I don't know is how much crap you have to cart around for the kids.... I know it can be quite a bit depending on age.

Good luck, and remember that not all cars are created equal!

Guest Simon*

I have been hugely impressed with the late model Passat Variant (wagon). Both the FWD and 4WD TDi are really quiet, comfortable and haul ass, the 2WD especially!

They are FULL of toys and have acres of space in the back. Don't look too bad in black with black leather either ;)

I have been hugely impressed with the late model Passat Variant (wagon). Both the FWD and 4WD TDi are really quiet, comfortable and haul ass, the 2WD especially!

They are FULL of toys and have acres of space in the back. Don't look too bad in black with black leather either ;)

Got a look at a 3.2 V6 4Motion DSG wagon in black in Dunedin at the weekend - ticks quite a few boxes.Also checked out the new Outback - it is huge inside...

Also took a Renault Laguna 3.0V6 Hatch for a blat - not a bad car either.

Got a look at a 3.2 V6 4Motion DSG wagon in black in Dunedin at the weekend - ticks quite a few boxes.Also checked out the new Outback - it is huge inside...

Also took a Renault Laguna 3.0V6 Hatch for a blat - not a bad car either.

The Passat is a good, if a bit boring, car. A 3.2 with all the goodies should keep you happy though. Better still, wait another 12 months for depreciation to hit the R36 - an awesome car which really does haul ass!

As for the Renault, avoid unless it is very cheap. Renault depreciation is shocking and comes second to only MG/Rover!

skoda vrs diesel...

peugeot 407 2.7 twin turbo diesel

both wagons... the 407 has the funky glass roof...

I found the A3 very very small inside and the door opennings also when we looked at them for mom...

+1.

I'd love a Vrs diesel.

Better still, wait another 12 months for depreciation to hit the R36 - an awesome car which really does haul ass!

Seen a few of these, they seem like a great "practical" :D wagon. Lets hope someones depreciation is my gain!

Needs to have 4WD so I guess thats why the VRs Skoda's won't make the list. The Scout isn't to appealing in the flesh...