Sign in to follow this  
APT

Oil Cooler and relocation kits Universal ?

Are the Oil Cooler and Relocation kits universal between Japanese cars and BMW's?

Its going onto a m20 engine - not mine but a mates e30, he asked me and i didnt know so thought someone could help me out.

And what brands sizes do you recommend ? Or is it unecessary upgrade for an m20?

Edited by Andrew.

My question would be Why does he need it the stock setup should do it fine?

if hes having heating problems it proberly something bigger

if not a standard upgrade kit - off the shelf could do just getting it tapped right and maybe a auxaliry pump might be needed.

and all depends on how much he wants to spend

Not necessary on a stock engine... if you want to waste some money.. buy me some beers and I'll give you the same answer

I don't even think my car has an oil cooler?

a tranny cooler if auto would probably be more beneficial.

Ahhh i see thanks guys i'll chuck up the full specs of his car on here when he txts me back. THANKS

Guest FrantiC

You only really need one if your current oil filter doesn't fit to the block, so you would relocate it..

I am getting one because currently I can only run a oil filter, Can't use the oil cooler housing because my turbo manifold (no matter which way you spin the housing) will not let both oil cooler lines fit in.. So I am going to have to get an oil relocate kit so I can run an oil cooler...

There are about 3 or 4 different fittings for the filter housing's. M20 is a 3/4 UNF fitting IIRC..

If engine is standard, it would just be more of a comestic modification?! Just like when people put in those colour & shaped powersteering, engine overflow/breather catch tanks etc. Just for looks, no gains in performance.

But yeah, I wouldnt know. Glenn is very onto it so I'd say listen to him if your mate wants Performance.

Mate fitted a Catch can to his standard 4A-GE Levin, as it was throwing oil out the breather hole :P

Just have to look at the Series cars. They get absolutely raped around the track. And we are not allowed oil coolers.

However. My mates S14 dropped his oil temps by about 30degC by installing a extremely expensive Trust oil cooler. This is race track driving temps. Does nothing on the road.

325i E30's come with a stock oil cooler that is efficient for the stock motor and I would pressume it would handle much more due to its size.